Alfa Romeo Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1021 Posts

·
Administrator
47,535 Posts
Drove some country lanes last week. I reckon people's idea of where the middle of the road is when there's no white lines has got worse since the pandemic. Every single person coming the other way was hogging the centre of the road, and not moving over at all as they approached. I even had my passenger confirm I was right in to the verge on my side, in case it was me getting it wrong.

Reactions: Scudetto

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Not sure if they cannot judge the middle of the road or the width of their vehicle. Just take note of how many drivers will creep past a tight spot with three or four times as much spare room on the nearside as they leave on the offside. They have a direct view of the widest point on their side, usually the "wing" mirror (and yes Cue I know it is not on the wing) and can get fairly close but the nearside is a whole different bag of tricks.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have now bought a dash cam. Latest incident was a cyclist sailing straight out of a side junction in front of my car, whilst looking the other way, at traffic coming from the other direction. I had seen he wasn't looking, luckily, and slowed down.
the downside of the Nextbase cam i bought is that it could be a double edged sword - it records the route, your speed and sound as well as the video. So, if you were speeding, and ranting at the idiot in front just before you inadvertently collide with him/her, when they stop to let a pigeon cross the road you might not want to share the footage :oops:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Not sure if they cannot judge the middle of the road or the width of their vehicle. Just take note of how many drivers will creep past a tight spot with three or four times as much spare room on the nearside as they leave on the offside. They have a direct view of the widest point on their side, usually the "wing" mirror (and yes Cue I know it is not on the wing) and can get fairly close but the nearside is a whole different bag of tricks.
Yes, all sorts in their new SUVs who have no idea of the width of their car. My street has now become the drop-off area for the local primary school, with cars parked on both sides of it and Mums driving down the middle with two metres to spare on the left hand side and they won’t move over. It’s obvious they should buy a car they can handle but bigger is safer, isn’t it? Some of them can barely see over the steering wheel.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have now bought a dash cam. Latest incident was a cyclist sailing straight out of a side junction in front of my car, whilst looking the other way, at traffic coming from the other direction. I had seen he wasn't looking, luckily, and slowed down.
the downside of the Nextbase cam i bought is that it could be a double edged sword - it records the route, your speed and sound as well as the video. So, if you were speeding, and ranting at the idiot in front just before you inadvertently collide with him/her, when they stop to let a pigeon cross the road you might not want to share the footage :oops:
That’s my problem with car cams. Once it shows you were speeding, even slightly, you lose.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Just be careful, if it's loaded into nextbase's own player it'll still display all the speed info as it still records everything.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Have I missed a ban on signalling at roundabouts? Is it no longer permitted due to Covid restrictions? And the few who break this law and do signal seem to indicate right when they leave the roundabout.
Yippee! Yesterday I saw a driver signal at a roundabout! A car approached from my right, positioned itself in the right-hand lane, and signalled right. Then went straight on.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #990 ·
Yippee! Yesterday I saw a driver signal at a roundabout! A car approached from my right, positioned itself in the right-hand lane, and signalled right. Then went straight on.
I think when people learn to drive these days, they are told that they must signal but they aren't told why. Rather than giving their fellow road users a clue about their intentions, they think it's just a pretty light show.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
Why is it that when dithering pricks need the inside lane of a dual carriageway or motorway, they move into it at the last second, oblivious to the rolling roadblock they are creating? However, if at any point in their journey they need the right hand lane, they get into as soon as possible after leaving their street and refuse to budge, even if the turn they want isn't for another ten miles.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
This is not a MOAST.

I haven't had a ciggy since February; all with the aid of a drug called Champix.
It's a brilliant thing that makes you dislike/vomit when you have a ***.

Unfortunately, since deciding I want to be healthier, other road users haven't.

I had my first crash in 5+ years of driving an ambulance...they T-boned the middle section of my truck after failing to witness every other car being stationary because of my noise and light show, and just plowed forward at 30-40mph. Luckily no-one was hurt. But we were en-route to a Cat 1 (seriously ill) Baby....and didn't get there. We don't know the outcome.

I'm fed up of moving out of lane to overtake middle-lane "Jeremy hunts", but tonight - I witnessed, on an empty motorway, someone move from lane 1 to lane 2, when I was in lane 2 and about to overtake.
I need to provide more evidence. Especially of the Fylde based BMW **** who decided that driving with his knees, whilst on the phone, and then blocking an ambulance through Major roadworks was a great victory.
And it just keeps happening on a daily basis...tonight, 2 separate young people almost caused me to crash into them because they have no concept of mini-roundabouts, or even the concept of "give way".

God I need a ciggy.

Next time I go on shift, I'll record some of this, if i'm not driving.

At least to prove I'm not delusional.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Easy question to answer.
People like to purchase/hire the most expensive vehicle they can in order to show off the wealth they have because wealth/credit is the yardstick of a screwed-up society.
Then as often as not, said motorised perambulator is badly driven which is why when someone else legitimately uses their horn as a warning, said individual throws toys out of the pram because all that money they have spent was wasted because their own damned inability to operate it makes them look very stupid indeed.

If someone uses Fiat currency to value themself, then that individual is worth nothing. That's why I won't waste my time to educate someone like that.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #996 ·
Why does nobody have any patience? I was driving along yesterday minding my own business in a residential area with a 30 limit. Behind me there was an angry man in a Peugeot (no idea what model, don't really care). Clearly he's not happy because I'm doing something like the speed limit. We approach a mini roundabout where I plan to go right so I start indicating and slowing. As I get to the roundabout, he swerves violently right onto the wrong side of the road, goes on the wrong side of the roundabout, then floors it, all to get past me.

I'm not really into the culture of filming everything, but it's getting to the point where I may have to buy a dashcam so that I can replay this stuff to make sure it was as I saw it.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Why does nobody have any patience? I was driving along yesterday minding my own business in a residential area with a 30 limit. Behind me there was an angry man in a Peugeot (no idea what model, don't really care). Clearly he's not happy because I'm doing something like the speed limit. We approach a mini roundabout where I plan to go right so I start indicating and slowing. As I get to the roundabout, he swerves violently right onto the wrong side of the road, goes on the wrong side of the roundabout, then floors it, all to get past me.

I'm not really into the culture of filming everything, but it's getting to the point where I may have to buy a dashcam so that I can replay this stuff to make sure it was as I saw it.
And able to report his number plate to the authorities.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
802 Posts

I've noticed a complete lack of patience on the roads, getting worse by the day seemingly

·
Registered
38,346 Posts

Get the dashcam. It gives you peace of mind and de-stresses. Also you can post clips on Youtub for us to giggle at.

Here's one from New Year's day. The +20min waiting for the Audi to stop trying to chain-up and get his ****ing car out of the middle of the road has been edited out.

981 - 1000 of 1021 Posts