Alfa Romeo Forum banner
961 - 980 of 1021 Posts

·
Registered
38,110 Posts
Apologies. Now I get it. I read it that you had turned right from the righthand lane.
Me too, but has assumed two lanes turning right and two lanes going on from the right turn, merging into one, with KB having taken the inside lane having noticed the propensity for stalling.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
I still don't get it.....in all honesty couldn't be bothered working it out and now you throw 2 Keithys into the mix.
I is confused !! :cry:

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #964 ·
Imagine some traffic lights. At the traffic lights there are two lanes. The right lane is clearly marked for turning right. The left lane is clearly marked for turning left or right.

If you turn right, the road you are turning into has two lanes. These two lanes go to different places. If have driven up to the lights, logic would suggest that you have a rough destination in mind.

If you plan to get onto the M60, or go into Farnworth, you need the left lane. If you are heading for Bolton, or destinations north of Bolton, you need the right lane (and to have your jabs up-to-date).

If you need to be in the left lane beyond the lights, logic would dictate going in the left lane at the lights, and vice versa.

If you went in the right lane at the lights, knowing that you needed to be in the left lane beyond the lights, you would be quite dense. If you were teaching someone to drive, and taught them that this was the correct way to approach this junction, you are probably beyond redemption.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Imagine some traffic lights. At the traffic lights there are two lanes. The right lane is clearly marked for turning right. The left lane is clearly marked for turning left or right.

If you turn right, the road you are turning into has two lanes. These two lanes go to different places. If have driven up to the lights, logic would suggest that you have a rough destination in mind.

If you plan to get onto the M60, or go into Farnworth, you need the left lane. If you are heading for Bolton, or destinations north of Bolton, you need the right lane (and to have your jabs up-to-date).

If you need to be in the left lane beyond the lights, logic would dictate going in the left lane at the lights, and vice versa.

If you went in the right lane at the lights, knowing that you needed to be in the left lane beyond the lights, you would be quite dense. If you were teaching someone to drive, and taught them that this was the correct way to approach this junction, you are probably beyond redemption.
Gave up at the first sentence and have no intention of visiting Bolton or Farnworth anytime soon.

Would it be easier if I caught the train?

·
Registered
38,110 Posts
So, headed into to the office today, admittedly in a foul mood, and joy of joys as I approach the left turn into the acute hospital staff car park everything grinds to a halt on the main road with two cars stopped before the left turn. I’m carrying straight on so have to stop and as there is no traffic in the approaching filter lane I can’t see why we are all at a halt.

Then it dawns on me, the first car has indicated left, approached the junction, got to 3 yards away and STOPPED. To let a passenger out. It’s a d1ckh3ad in a hire car, of course. :rolleyes:

So, he gets the horn. He then goes up the hill to the traffic island that’s access to the main hospital doing the “I’m not in a hurry, ooh let’s be careful ‘cos there’s an island why don’t I stop because there might be something coming even though I can see there isn’t” twerping about. He gets the horn again and I proceed on my way.

300 yards down the road and I pull into my office car park and take a wild guess who is behind me!?

Brief exchange of views and our man is somewhat annoyed. I’m being a knob beeping him and he’s not happy. I posit that as a road user I believe that stopping ON a junction, ON double yellow lines demonstrates he is a knob with knobs on. I was mistaken because his fare said “stop here!” so he did. I did suggest that he is supposed to be a professional driver as he does it for a living and he reassured me that ‘I am’.

Anyhooo, my top tip is that if you are in a car with our top flight professional don’t say ‘stop here!’ if you are ON a junction, on a motorway, on the hatching of a zebra crossing or on a level crossing. If you do the bell-end will stop.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
I can honestly say that one positive of this lockdown has been the lack motoring rants due to driving far less....do miss the driving bit though.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
I can honestly say that one positive of this lockdown has been the lack motoring rants due to driving far less....do miss the driving bit though.
You wouldn't have thought lockdown was in effect, near me. There's still daily motorway accidents, causing massive tailbacks. There's as much traffic on our patch of the M6 than there was before lockdown 1.
I have countless dash-cam recordings of people middle lane hogging but it has become such a norm, that I've stopped downloading that kind of activity.

What did wind me up tonight, and really perturbed me, was a near miss on my estate.

Had I been going a bit faster, or not slowed down to let a car turn into the junction, my night could have been spent in custody, with a possibly dead kid on my hands. If it had been one of the local "Evel-Kneivels", it would almost certainly be an obituary and a gofundme being set up within minutes. (sorry for being cynical)

There's no audio on the video, but one of the later emerging kids shouted at me to stop (obviously I was stopped), and then the entire bunch blew raspberries and gave me "the V's". (at that age, i was scared of adults, not all bolshy and disrespectful!!!)
I told them, in dad-speak, that they needed to be more careful and a couple of them said "thank you".

I've posted on the local FB that people need to keep an eye on their feral spunk-rats, but I doubt that it will have any effect. I'm actually anticipating a fair amount of trolling!

If there's a positive to be found. I'm definitely moving to a nicer area.

The sooner, the better.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #969 ·
A shout out to all the militant cyclists out there.

If you get a puncture on a narrow bit of road you should absolutely fix it right there and then in the road instead of using the gated entry more or less opposite or walking 50 yards up the road to the point where it widens and has a verge. Similarly, if you can find a narrow bridge where two cars can barely pass, that's the perfect place to stop for a rest.

I like cycling, and I'm glad people do it but, as with car drivers, some of them are either really thick or deliberately bloody awkward.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,414 Posts
Blimey, Stan! That video was almost like one of those road safety videos from the 80s. Well done for keeping the speed down in the first place. (y)

Reactions: stan laurel

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Cheers, but knowing the lack of parenting on our Estate, I always drive slowly...however, had it been the local chav in their "souped up" Nissan micra, it could have been a very different outcome.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #973 ·
There seems to be a trend amongst high performance car drivers of being monumental bell ends in town centres. I expect Audi S3 & 4 drivers to be deeply obnoxious in their habits but it seems that Seat FR drivers are getting in on the act, joined by Civic type-R fans. Blazing away from lights then immediately jumping on the brakes, weaving between lanes, ignoring traffic lights, stopping in the middle of junctions etc etc.

Reactions: ronan

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
There are definitely some lunatics around. I had a real psycho toss pot incident on the A414 dual carriageway outside Harlow last weekend. Pootling along at 70mph, i came up on a slower driver, looked in mirror, a car some way behind, so I indicated and pulled out. Next thing, a Merc right up my a**e, flashing his lights. He must have been doing 100+ to have got so close, so quickly.
I pull over into the inside lane, he swerves in front, about a foot from my bumper, and jams on the brakes, completely to a halt. I was in the 4C and it has very good brakes, otherwise I would have hit him. This on a 70mph dual carriageway, with other traffic around. He got out of the car, and was mouthing off and coming towards us. I was with my son, who is quite a big lad, so I wasn't too worried apart from the possibility of someone shunting us. I started filming him with my phone and the tw*t eventually drove off, still mouthing off. I reckon he was on drugs.
I'm going to get a dash cam fitted, I would have contacted the police if I had footage.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 ·
It's good when sons get big. I used to bring my lad home from work. I have fond memories of an incident where some *** carved us up for no reason. We ended up next to him at some lights and both made a point of staring at him, game faces on. He sat there, eyes fixed straight ahead, really wanting to be somewhere else.

The pair of us are as soft as shite but it was very funny.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #977 ·
Are people getting more aggressive on the road? I seem to encounter someone with a bad attitude every day.

Yesterday's winner was a woman in an SUV as I drove to work. 30 zone, doing thirtyish, and she really wasn't happy. We get to a set of lights and there's a van the right hand lane. I go in the left (the right ends in a few hundred yards), she clearly thinks I'm an old giffer who will be beaten away from the lights. I'm not as it happens so she's stuck behind the van. She then swerves into the left lane, past the van, then back into the right to try to get past me before the lanes merge. After that she just sat really close with her wheels on the white lines, until I stopped for fuel and she could start badgering the next car in front.

On the way home, on a dual carriageway with a 40 limit and a lot of cameras, everyone is doing 40, as they always do. Not quick enough for some *** in a BMW, weaving from lane to lane, and not really getting anywhere.

Chillax people. Either set off a bit earlier so you won't need to save 30-40 seconds over the course of your journey, or accept that the people you're heading to know you're a **** and will be happy if you're late.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Yep, and sorry to say I'm one of them, I even chopped in my 159 for a fartbox as it was making me angry. I'm by no means a perfect driver, but I get the impression that most people on the road have no idea what's going on past the front of their bonnet and behind the front seats of their cars - I'm welcoming self-driving cars.

I did get some BMW-driving *****'s horn and middle finger on the way home yesterday as I probably cut the corner to my road ever so slightly, that said, he was well over the white line as he approached the junction.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I wouldn't say mine's down to selfishness, its probably more noticeable now the roads are busier, but the standard of people's driving is as bad as ever.

I'm not laying on the horn or giving people gestures, to signify my anger, I've probably only ever sounded my horn a handful of times in all my years of driving in fact, that's reserved purely for the most astoundingly bad driving.

Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, but I realise I don't have to put up with people's **** anymore.

961 - 980 of 1021 Posts