Alfa Romeo Forum banner
941 - 960 of 1034 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Mini rant but annoying.

Pretty busy T junction.....i am turning right.....white van man behind me pulls up to my left blinding me to all traffic coming from left.
Could he not have done the decent thing and at least left me half a van's length so I could see what was coming ?

Nope....as long as he got away.......selfish [email protected]
A similar thing happens constantly to me here in Oz due to the prevalence of oversized SUVs and 4WD utes.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Merge in turn lanes. Do what it says on the tin morons. Don't enter the lane and then immediately start nervously looking to pull over to the left. Just keep on driving till the lanes, er, merge and then do it in ******* turn!

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Merge in turn lanes. Do what it says on the tin morons. Don't enter the lane and then immediately start nervously looking to pull over to the left. Just keep on driving till the lanes, er, merge and then do it in *** turn!
Easier said than done with all the selfish sods in the world who don't allow you to merge at all.
Merge in turn.....that died out years ago over here.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #945 ·
Merge in turn lanes. Do what it says on the tin morons. Don't enter the lane and then immediately start nervously looking to pull over to the left. Just keep on driving till the lanes, er, merge and then do it in *** turn!
They can't do it. It should be easy but they just don't get it. There will always be some *** in a Range Rover Sport who needs to be that one car further problem. There will be 30 gammons in immaculate 10yo Vectras who get in the right lane as soon as they see a sign then won't let anyone else in.

We live in a country where people don't always know what to do when they get to the bottom of a slip road.

Reactions: Harvo

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
They can't do it. It should be easy but they just don't get it. There will always be some *** in a Range Rover Sport who needs to be that one car further problem. There will be 30 gammons in immaculate 10yo Vectras who get in the right lane as soon as they see a sign then won't let anyone else in.

We live in a country where people don't always know what to do when they get to the bottom of a slip road.
Sadly we have people who give others a millisecond of time before they start blaring their horns at them......that's just rude.
If someone is in the wrong....give them the benefit of the doubt for a decent amount of time....then blare your horn.....that's called decency.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Volkswagen Transporter drivers, not the actual van ones, but the people carrier ones, always privately owned, always driven with the delicacy and pace of something much larger, say a bus or cruise ship...

I have driven a transporter, and it's quite nippy for a van and handles well, so what makes this particular driver/vehicle combo so slow? Got caught behind one today for a couple of miles doing a sedate 20mph, not an indicator to be seen, and like many, then attempts to join a free flowing motorway at 32mph. Baffling.

I hate to generalise, but it's often these vans, you rarely see it with a Transit custom or otherwise, and it's not as if it's the actual 'van' variants, I often get overtaken by them on the motorway.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
How many near misses do you need to experience before buying a dash cam, I've never wanted one, but in the past month I've had 3 very close encounters, just driving along minding my own business and some **** takes a last minute dive for an exit right in front of me, This morning a car decided a junction meant just drive straight through at about 30 in a tesco car park, another half metre and if I didn't break my Giulietta would have been toast,

·
Registered
945 Posts
only tangentially related to motoring, but WHY is it that when i buy a door speaker from a reputable brand (Alpine), it apparently is incapable of handling moisture in the door, like the OEM speakers have been doing for 10 years? Ive had the doorpanel off to dry it all out and put wire-crimp on the connectors to rule that out, but no, thing still is dead as a doorknob. Now currently the garage is occupied with a long term project, and it is pissing down and cold for the next few months, but next step is hot glueing every single exposed contact.

frustrating stuff...

·
Administrator
47,766 Posts
Is it because the plastic membrane behind the door card has been punctured while it was being changed over?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Is it because the plastic membrane behind the door card has been punctured while it was being changed over?
That (foam) membrane is indeed punctured, but the way it is set up in the mito, the back of the speaker is already in cold/wet side of the door, the front is indeed in the dry side, but that is not where the contacts are. So to my mind, that shouldnt make a difference.

·
Registered
945 Posts
and for the third time this year, ive got an alfa with a dead battery.. Second new battery this years (first one was a different car)

(fixed the audio issue from the previous rant though, i was a bit of pillock on that occasion, but as a true italian car, the mito decide that being issue-free wasnt going to happen this easily, so promptly decided to want a new battery)

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
875 Posts
People who feel the need to get right up close behind and then overtake a car just as the car in front turns left into a side road. If someone is waiting to pull out of said side road, and see a car slowing down and just starting to male the turn, they are likely to pull out... only to be T-boned by some impatient sod that had to shave 5 seconds off their journey! Watched it happen the other day, and rather than drive their way out of a dangerous situation, the overtaker continued accelerating and laid into the horn. If only you could teach patience eh.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Rule of thumb. Never ever pull out in front of a car turning in if there is a line of traffic behind. It may well be the next in line that pulls over but I have seen the second or third do so when the first following does the reasonable thing.

In a similar vane I was approaching temporary one way lights on green and could see blue lights behind me someway back. It was clear the lights would change fairly soon (they had been on green for sometime) so I slowed up to give the ambulance a chance to get into the one way before the other direction started moving. I was astounded when the next two behind me both pulled over to the right and overtook me to pass the lights and enter the single lane section. Clearly they did not use their mirrors as by this time the ambulance with siren as well as blues was virtually on top of them.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
875 Posts
Rule of thumb. Never ever pull out in front of a car turning in if there is a line of traffic behind. It may well be the next in line that pulls over but I have seen the second or third do so when the first following does the reasonable thing.

In a similar vane I was approaching temporary one way lights on green and could see blue lights behind me someway back. It was clear the lights would change fairly soon (they had been on green for sometime) so I slowed up to give the ambulance a chance to get into the one way before the other direction started moving. I was astounded when the next two behind me both pulled over to the right and overtook me to pass the lights and enter the single lane section. Clearly they did not use their mirrors as by this time the ambulance with siren as well as blues was virtually on top of them.
For the exact reason I described above I always wait at junctions for the traffic behind the turning car to clear before pulling out. There is always a chance someone is in a hurry.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #956 ·
I have previously whinged about people turning right at traffic lights where there are two lanes who start in the right hand lane and drift across into the left as they turn or shortly after.

At such a junction earlier, I was behind a learner in the right hand lane. A young girl with her dad in the passenger seat by the looks of it. She stalled a couple of times but we all have to learn.

Eventually she gets it moving, makes the turn, indicates, and drifts from the right hand lane into the left behind me. I could see her dad directing with his hands in my mirror. What chance has the poor girl got when the soppy ****** "teaching" her doesn't understand lanes?

One day, I'm going to force one of these idiots to stop, kidnap them, drive them back through the junction and shout "LOOK AT THE ****ING ARROWS".

Reactions: 147Alfaguy

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
So she started off in front of you and then drifted left behind you. Not sure which lane you were in and did you undertake her.

·
Administrator
47,766 Posts
If there's a straight on lane and a right turn lane, and they're in the right turn lane, then driving straight on in the straight on lane is hardly undertaking.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #959 ·
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Picture 1 is pretty much my view but there are cars parked on the left before the gates. The offending vehicle is slightly further back than the bus and is blocking my route to the (empty) inside lane. Once she gets moving we both pull up to the lights, me in the left lane indicating right (note the big **** off two-headed arrow), her in the right.

The lights turn green and, as I have the reactions of an old west gunslinger, I'm away first. As you turn right, you are faced with what is in picture 2. The trees in the distance are on a roundabout and, from the right lane, you can only go right at the roundabout so if you are in the right lane but want to go straight on or left, you have to move over. The left lane is generally busier because it leads to the M60 so you will need some cooperation in order to move over. Or you just stick your indicator on and drift, leaving whoever is in the left lane to avoid you. Or wait until you're on the roundabout where there's always a queue and force your way in.

It is not unknown for people to dive across from that right hand lane into the petrol station.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Apologies. Now I get it. I read it that you had turned right from the righthand lane.

941 - 960 of 1034 Posts