Alfa Romeo Forum banner

901 - 914 of 914 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
As far as I know, there is no criminal law concerning pedestrians. (If there is, I'd better give myself up). However, if there's a civil case which needs to apportion blame, then they'd take into account the Highway Code as well as the circumstances of the event.

·
Registered
14,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #902
There is a crossing near my house, which the local authority maintain is correct, which doesn't turn red if there is a car nearby. You can press the button because there's traffic, wait for it to clear, cross, and be halfway up the street before you hear it beeping.

·
Registered
190 Posts
When turning right & a car is trying to do the same on the opposite side, why oh why do people cross in front of each other? All this achieves is no one can see the oncoming traffic so cannot complete the sequence. Cross each other behind the other car & evreyone ca see the oncoming traffic & cturn safely! I try to signal this to people when it happens to me but a blank stare ensues??

·
Administrator
45,048 Posts
Because of exactly what yopu described. You require collusion from the other motorist to cross behind each other - and you can't trust that to happen.

I totally agree that the cross behind is more sensible. But in real world conditions, you can't do it because the chances are you'd just cause an accident.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
More of a weary sigh than a rant, as people stopping across my drive is a several-times-a-day occurrence. But today was a Sunday, no other parked cars, no possible reason to stop across a drive. I was backing out when a white van man decided to stop, overlapping the drive just enough to prevent me escaping until his small daughter had made his delivery for him.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
When turning right & a car is trying to do the same on the opposite side, why oh why do people cross in front of each other? All this achieves is no one can see the oncoming traffic so cannot complete the sequence. Cross each other behind the other car & evreyone ca see the oncoming traffic & cturn safely! I try to signal this to people when it happens to me but a blank stare ensues??
Because of exactly what yopu described. You require collusion from the other motorist to cross behind each other - and you can't trust that to happen.

I totally agree that the cross behind is more sensible. But in real world conditions, you can't do it because the chances are you'd just cause an accident.
There are now many junctions on the East Lancs (A580) dual carriageway from Manchester to Liverpool whereby the roads that cross it have markings forcing drivers to pass offside to offside when turning onto the A580. It should be the first choice because we pass offside to offside but oddly it is not.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Tailgaters.....I really want to slam on the brakes......but then I have the hassle of being rear ended.

I just want to let them pass me.....then meet them again further on down the road and give them a good hiding. :mad:

Audi TT this time....coont.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
From Robert Allen Sterzoman's album, Bringing it All Back Home

Hey! Mister Road Repair Man, spare a thought for me
I’ve an Alfa but there is no place I’m going to
Hey! You’ve made it hard to drive about now, don’t you see
On the speed bumps and the road humps I am cursing you

Hey! Mister Road Repair Man, won’t you get a grip
Pinchpoint kerbs and zigzag lines are Hell to drive through
Take me on a trip upon your magic rumble strip
And Mister Road Repair Man, listen to me cursing you

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
3 lane motorway....I am in inside.......medium slow van in middle lane.....but I am in no hurry......4x4 Volvo comes speeding past me in middle lane and sits right up the van's hole.....starts flashing at him....no movement.....the outside lane is totally clear......volvo then moves into outside lane,overtakes.......and I thought volvo would then speed on....but no......pulls straight back into middle lane......and slows up.......why ??
Just relax chaps ffs

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Aaaargh! A curse on all roofers!

Not King William Roofers, but Roofers the Red Nosed Builders. OK, so they put roofs over our heads, but why do they scatter nails and screws all over the road? Every house extension project (of which there is a plague at present) results in punctures. They got my 156, my Mondeo, and now my Giulietta. A cross-headed number eight screw this time. And the offending object is always brand new, never a rusty old one. At least I'll be able to use it on my next DiY project.

·
Administrator
45,048 Posts
Had a short jaunt on the M6 again today, just down from junction 19 to 17. 4 lane motorway all the way. At one point I passed a conservative estimate of 50 cars over a distance of several miles by simply staying in lane 1 at about 70mph.
The majority of those cars weren't even in lane 2, they were in lane 3 with nothing beside them.

901 - 914 of 914 Posts