Alfa Romeo Forum banner

881 - 900 of 914 Posts

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
Apparently those recovery trucks are difficult to see, even with all the flashing lights on.

Some time ago I was approaching one with its ramps down at the rear having just collected its passenger. It was a two-lane road although most people wanted lane one as lane two was for turn right ahead. I moved into lane two to overtake said vehicle in plenty of time. The woman behind came to a halt with front wheels on the ramps.
The same thing happens with buses. People with a brain know it's going to stop because it's a bus and passengers will want to get on and off. So you leave a gap and, when it does indicate and stop, you go past and carry on with your journey. If you're really ****ing thick you drive along 3 feet behind it sucking up diesel fumes. When it stops, you're too close to do anything but wait. You put your indicator on in the hope that someone takes pity and sit there looking gormless.

·
Registered
12,553 Posts
That's a regular scenario I come across at a specific bus stop just coming out of Pontefract, the road is wide enough to overtake the bus but as you say, there up its arse and they're stuck.

Audible warning device deployed, here I come. :lol:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
At the nearest bus stop to me, the road isn't wide enough, so the tailgaters pull halfway out before they get stuck because they're too close to that big red thing, successfully blocking traffic in both directions. Extra points awarded.

·
Registered
24,524 Posts
Ambulance chasers! Not the greasy lawyers. The drivers (plural) who tuck up behind that ambulance on the motorway in congested traffic. You hear and see the sirens, pull into the next lane in good time to let the emergency vehicle through as fast as it can go then find you can't get out again because of the comet's tail of hangers on all nose to tail using the ambulance as a blocker.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Ambulance chasers! Not the greasy lawyers. The drivers (plural) who tuck up behind that ambulance on the motorway in congested traffic. You hear and see the sirens, pull into the next lane in good time to let the emergency vehicle through as fast as it can go then find you can't get out again because of the comet's tail of hangers on all nose to tail using the ambulance as a blocker.
Happened to me last week/week before perhaps, on the M60 going home. I gave up, it was like a white water river of cars!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I've actually stopped and bollocked someone for doing that on an A road. It's dangerous on many levels...primarily because we are constantly looking behind instead of looking forward. I would have been within my rights to report him to the police, but it's just too much hassle. When it happens on a Motorway, If it's blatant and prolonged, I'll slow down and move to another lane.
They are indeed assholes of the highest order.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Yes he should have stopped but given it seems to be a pedestrian controlled crossing where is the pedestrian? I noticed a PCC near me that was repeatedly going through its cycle although there were no pedestrians anywhere near. These sort of faults can lead to drivers ignoring them.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
no fault on on that light - no excuse for going through a red light - there's one with a fault near our base and if we're not on a job, we still have to stop.That driver was obviously incompetent, looking at the sudden realisation of brakes immediatelt after the lights!

Yes he should have stopped but given it seems to be a pedestrian controlled crossing where is the pedestrian? I noticed a PCC near me that was repeatedly going through its cycle although there were no pedestrians anywhere near. These sort of faults can lead to drivers ignoring them.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Is it an offence for a pedestrian to press the button and not wait for the green man?
Is it an offence not to use the button (in those circumstances there is no green or red man) and cross when there is a clear space even if the traffic is still green

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Is it an offence for a pedestrian to press the button and not wait for the green man?
Is it an offence not to use the button (in those circumstances there is no green or red man) and cross when there is a clear space even if the traffic is still green
your point confuses me... are you trying to say it's legal to drive through a red traffic light ?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Not at all. It is simple query. If as a pedestrian I press the button and then cross before the lights change have I committed an offence? A crossing near me takes a long time to respond to the pedestrian button in that it seems to wait for a complete gap in the traffic flow and hence it is a regular occurrence for the button to be pressed and then the pedestrian (button presser) to cross, in a short gap, before the lights change, ie against a red man signal. This then means the traffic comes to a halt for a non existent pedestrian. Has the pedestrian committed an offence?

Alternatively if I ignore the button and just cross when there is a suitable gap there is no interruption to the traffic flow but have I committed an offence by ignoring the existence of the pedestrian control.

881 - 900 of 914 Posts