Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Motoring rant without frontiers

70K views 1K replies 101 participants last post by  TheGrimJeeper 
#1 ·
The idea of this is to give everyone the opportunity to air those issues which drive us motorists absolutely crackers.

This isn’t the place to rant about specific bell-endery by fellow road users, I don’t want to know that a dimwit in a Lexus is200 registration WD57BGH cut you up on the M40 for instance.

You don't have to discuss what is posted (unless you want to), you can post in the middle of a discussion, about something completely different, if you want to. When the thread has run its course, I shall paste it into a letter to the Transport Minister and tell him to ****ing sort it. I shall also send it to his shadow cabinet equivalent so that he knows what we expect when the time comes (please god).

To start us off, and give an example…….

Many small towns offer roadside parking which is either free or pay & display. The places where you can park are in marked white boxes and the rest is yellow lines. Increasingly, I find myself looking for somewhere to park and find that boxes which could accommodate 5 cars have, at most, 3 in them because whoever arrived first parked roughly where they thought the middle might be, then 2 other idiots arrived and parked either side, leaving half a car length each from the end of the box in which you can park. I don’t know if this is because of concerns about getting blocked in or concerns about getting a ticket, either way it’s stupid.

If you arrive first, park at the end with the nose of your car just inside the lines. If you arrive second, park behind the guy who arrived first (leaving yourself enough room to get out again). It really isn't difficult.

See less See more
#2 ·
Blue badge holders who park on double yellow lines without consideration for whether or not they are likely to cause an obstruction or make it difficult for other road users.
Prime example is outside our local hospital where they park just short of the crown of a hill making it difficult, to say the least, to see on coming traffic. Best bit is there is a carpark within the grounds so the disabled badge holder has to walk further than if they had used the car park but of course that would have cost. So the blue badge is more about saving money than making it easier for a disabled person to access facilities.

#3 ·
Stop fannying about with allowing "unusual routes" on roundabouts, Left lane goes left or straight on, right lane goes straight on or right, not anything else, just causes confusion and allows "crash for cash insurance *******s" to get away with it

#50 ·
If could just be that easy. Whilst we're on roundabouts.
Mini roundabouts. It seems that they can actually become gridlocked. I assume that because all are sat so close to each other the car to the right has the right of way.. but they're all so close; You go, noooo you go :lol:
I just go and break the deadlock but sometimes I have to wait a few days until I get to the front :(

When your lass is getting the kebabs dont park facing on coming traffic with your lights on. :mad:
This morning it happened. At 7am and on a rainy morning it can be a little dark and to park on my side a good foot from the kerb with headlights on facing me is a little distracting :(

Surprised this one has not appeared yet.

Use of front or rear fog lights when there is no fog.

None use of front or rear fog lights when there is fog.:)
I can't remember recently any fog or heavy rain but the last few mornings I have seen about four cars with them on. One this morning was a rather nice Seat, I expect a bit of a car nut and as such don't expect to see them left on.

dear bellends,

when driving along a 2 lane road approaching red traffic lights at which you would like to turn right, do you:

a) move into the right hand lane and indicate right, so that everybody behind you knows not to go behind you as they'll get stuck behind you at the lights

or

b) not indicate at all, pull to a halt at the red lights, and only indicate right once the lights have gone green?

hint: one of the above will mean a queue of 50 cars behind you, the drivers of which are all daydreaming about removing your spleen with a chainsaw
This used to annoy me a lot, probably still does but I have not witnessed this in a good while.

#4 ·
if you're turning right off a relatively wide main road, for the love of god please nudge yourself over toward the centre of the road so that everybody can get past you, rather than have to wait half an hour while you sit there in your yaris at 45 degrees blocking the entire road.

#6 ·
that would indeed be a novelty

english drivers tend to be in the wrong lane at roundabouts, but at least they're making some kind of effort. french drivers just want to be in ALL the lanes all at once with seemingly no idea which exit they want to take

#8 ·
Oh French + Roundabouts is a heady mix of incompetence and not giving a shisse.

No indicators, no lane discipline and a rule that says you can stay in the outside lane
if you don't know where you're going. Cutting everyone up and yet not being in the wrong.
****ing planks.

Never use the LH lane in France if you're going straight over on two/three lane roundabouts.
Always use the RH lane and then you've less chance of getting broadsided by some cigarette puffing pouffiasse.

#12 ·
last time i drove round there it was like that scene from 20,000 leagues under the sea where the nautilus submerges and the captain orders 'ramming speeeeeeeeeed!!!!'

cue eyes shut, pedal to the floor and hope you come out the other side alive :lol:

#14 ·
Roadsigns.

Giant, garish, multiply-redundant roadsigns. There are so many near us that they virtually obscure each other.

Oh yes- motorway matrix signs that simply state the bleedin' obvious. I was on the M4 yesterday in heavy rain and I doubt that many of us needed to be told, "Poor driving conditions".

#18 ·
One thing that drives me insane is how slowly people here would take a turn at a light. They slow down to a creep and wait and wait and wait. For crying out loud, take your turn and if you have to wait for pedestrians, do so where you are supposed to do it, right away. Don't creep on trying to keep momentum going so to spring forth when the pedestrians are gone.

#19 ·
And one more thing, don't you hate those people who drive in front of you and all of a sudden pop their blinkers and park :rant: Often without evening moving closer to the kerb, just there, in the middle of the road. :mad:

#24 · (Edited)
On a lightly to moderately trafficked motorway, I'll be in the inside lane even at slightly above the limit - almost certainly using cruise control. If you've been following on my rear quarter in the middle lane at a closing speed of 0.001mph for the last ten minutes and you see there are cars joining from the next slip road do us all a favour and pull out so I can too. Don't accelerate just enough to ensure I'm boxed in and have to brake as the sheep truck or Kia Picante trundle in front of me at about half my speed.

Reactions: derekjmathers
#25 ·
When parking your car on most roads, before switching off and exiting your vehicle take two seconds to turn your head through 90 degrees. If you see a car parked on the other side of the road you have created an annoying, unnecessary bottleneck and you are a ****.

#606 ·
Hate this as well but if it's allowed people will do it. If this is to stop it should be mandated by the council. Staggered for stretches on one side or the other only. And parking right at the end of the road is even more annoying. On my road we have on of those bends that looks like an intersection. Lots of plonkers with SUV's and even HGVs sometimes park right at the end so when you go round you cannot see at all. Really think there should be double yellows from 2/3 parking lengths in to stop this.

#26 ·
Caravanners. You pay road tax and are entitled to drag your horrendous plastic shed behind you. Attached to your doors are large reflective rectangular objects. These are called "Mirrors" and if you look in them you will often see miles of slow moving traffic behind your fat arse while you marvel at how quiet this road is today. Pull over at the occasional lay-by and let the rest of the world get where they are going. Yes, it may add minutes to your dreary journey but you will be saving man days and blood pressure for everyone else.

#33 ·
You would think that any extending of the journey to a field somewhere where you will spend you week emptying the chemical bog and being massively covetous of your neighbour's Bailey Pageant Express Sprint Sport 600 and Kia Sportage be a bonus. *******s claim that the do pull over but no bugger has even seen it happen.

#29 ·
Farmers in tractors. We know you live and work around those roads but actually it doesn't mean you should have exclusive use of them, as much as you clearly resent everyone else being on them. Even though WE never hold YOU up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.