Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
policy is due for renewal soon and seriously considering swapping to a traders policy...

thoughts, recommendations, things to watch for, things to avoid?

·
Registered
63 Posts
tradex are cheap but don't really give a $hit when you claim,and no matter what they say...you can't protect your ncb!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
888dee said:
policy is due for renewal soon and seriously considering swapping to a traders policy...
I thought any decent insurance company would inspect premises, and check other requirements.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keithglos said:
I thought any decent insurance company would inspect premises, and check other requirements.

would that not be just for liability and employers policies? I'm not sure though, which is why I ask ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
road runner give good rates. they give cover with or without premises.

be warned tho, when you switch to a trade policy, you transfer your no claims. with many companies, you can't transfer them back and have to start again.

you still need to keep them informed of which vehicle(s) you own for the police computer.

in my experience, trade policies are only really worthwhile if you buy and sell cars. never tried to claim on one so i can't comment on that aspect of it.

my advice, if you're doing some serious trading, pick a policy which will run in addition to the policy on your personal vehicle. remember not to include your own car on the trade policy. it's illegal to have two policies on one car, and i believe the penalties are quite severe.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good insight quattro, I have been having hassle recently as I have changed the car on my personal policy 4 times this year and for what I've been charged I could have had a "part time" traders policy with change left over :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
You would not normally have trade insurance cover on a car parked at home, might have to quote trade plate number, any claim is of course at trade value. If you can get it, use it as a minimum legal road cover.

·
Registered
429 Posts
keithglos said:
You would not normally have trade insurance cover on a car parked at home, might have to quote trade plate number, any claim is of course at trade value. If you can get it, use it as a minimum legal road cover.
certain trade insurance will cover vehicles which you specify as being for personal use, but there will be limitations, e.g. you won't be able to have 6 vehicles for personal use. i would expect it would be limited to one vehicle per named driver ?
you may be covered for vehicles which belong to you, but are parked up, maybe advertised for sale or something, but i would imagine cover will be very limited ?

·
Registered
429 Posts
alfa101 said:
Road runner will check your that you have a trade address forsure!!
you don't need premises to be a motor trader ? anyway, there is nothing illegal about running a business from your home address, unless it's a council house, or some local bye laws prevent it. there are legal formalities if you go fully self employed, but so far as i'm aware, selling a half dozen cars a year on the side you don't need to declare as income unless you ARE registered ? there are a few laws which relate to buying/selling cars, as there are with property, but most of them are fairly vague, and have a fair bit of "wiggle room"

when i was made redundant from the garage a few years back, i looked seriously into the idea of starting a mobile mechanic/ mobile valeting service.
i spoke to a few insurance companies, and found road runner to be the most helpful, they were prepared to basically tailor make the policy around my business.

the main difference between motor trade and personal policies is that the DRIVER is insured, rather than the vehicle, when you change vehicles, your cover transfers with you.
personally i wouldn't take anything less than fully comp unless you plan on driving around in bangers.

http://www.roadrunnerinsurance.co.uk/

give them a shout, it doesn't cost anything to ask ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts