Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When this came up on my car last Saturday I was worried as to what the cause might be, so I backed off and continued to drive carefully.

Went to Jamie Porter this morning and they plugged in thier diagnostic - turns out that I had been running on contaminated fuel :rant:

I had filled up at my local Total garage on Friday - about 3 days before this fuel issue came up. Got low on fuel and had heard that Tesco's and Morrisons were the cheif culprits in terms of the fuel at teh pumps, so I filled in Sainsburys.

Guys at JP's said that there were no problems with the oxygen sensors on my GTA :)cool: ) and reset the system, but strongly recommended avoiding supermarket fuels.

Anyone else had this contaminated fuel problem? They said that fortunately the sensors on the Alfa engines were pretty tough.

I am lucky and I am glad that it was just a simple plug and check matter and not a whole set of new sensors - there are apparently 4 on the V6 - 2 pre-cat and 2 post cat sensors, and that would have cost a bit to fix :eek:

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Sounds like you were lucky.

I'm a bit wary about this 'Motor System Control Failure' message as a day after I picked up my car I go it.

Diagnostic said it was a faulty brake sensor which was changed.

2 days later it came back again. then nothing for 4 weeks until last week.

Going back in next week for another look.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That was lucky Per, i only put the good stuff in my GTA form my local BP garage & when they run out from time to time i take a trip to Shell in Newport, it's a pain to get too but worth it i think.
Glad shes ok pal:)

Stu:)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers. Guess I'll use forecourt petrol rather than supermarket stuff, although, I had thought that Total was a garage and therefor ehad garage supplies, and not supermarket supplies.

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
You're extremely lucky Per - I had contaminated fuel in my year old GT at the end of last year. It cost £1,600 to put right :mad:

I knew where I got the fuel, I had the petrol receipt, I had a computer printout to show the engine failed soon after I filled her up, I even had a sample of the fuel (sand and water in it), but couldn't do a bl00dy thing about it :mad:

BTW, I got my fuel at a Shell station, so it really is the luck of the draw I'm afraid

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the motor system control failure message this afternoon on my gta. Booked it into Lisles in Hitchin to be checked over and then called Tesco where I last got petrol. They were helpful to a point and put me onto head office who say they are investigating the situation but admit nothing of course. The guy did say that they had had a lot of calls though. We will see!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think that unless you could proove any damage was done, you won't get anything from Tesco.

The chaps at Jamie Porter's this morning said though that they had only had a couple of cars with these symptoms, and that the sensors were pretty rugged on the GTA.

Mine was actually running fine - no loss of power or any kangaroo driving, but it cudl have changed at any time I suppose!

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
234 Posts
In todays TV news here in Finland they mentioned that thousands of cars in the UK have been damaged due to the contaminated petrol. They even mentioned that it is possible that hundreds of thousands of drivers might have put contaminated fuel in their cars. What is going on there?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They think that there was silicone in the fuel. This is not a normal additived to petrol, so it looks like it is a case of contamination rather than any excessive additive that is used in petrol.

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It cost me next to nothing to have a garage to plug in their system into my ECU and to reset it. Peace of mind too knowing that nothing is wrong.

I wouldn't simply drive with the message on the display - it's programmed to come up for a good reason - better therefore to have the car looked at than have to pay out for something that could be quite pricey!!

Per

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a "Motor Control Failure" message followed by loss of power at low throttle openings. Drive along at a constant speed on a gentle throttle and the engine would cut out completely after about 5 seconds. Throttle off then on again and it would go for 10 seconds then cut out again. Floor it and it was fine.

It was filled with petrol from an independent service station in SE London but the problem didn't develop until we had used a full tank of fuel, mostly in round town driving.

I refilled it at a Shell station but the problem got worse and worse till you couldn't really drive it properly and it would stall after idling for 30 seconds. Still ran fine at half throttle or more though.

Garage said the computer reported both Lambda sensors faulty. Car is still drivable and we are now waiting on new sensors. They have 5 Alfas with the same problem.

And here was me blaming dodgy Italian build quality to start with. I felt really bad when I found out my bella had been poisoned. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts