Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my 147 JTDm (04) for a few days whilst on holiday, and when I got back it wouldn't start. Got a jump from someone and it's been running fine since, but whenever I start it there is a message of Motor Control System Failure, then the engine warning light stays on. Anyone know what's wrong and how to reset or repair it?

L

·
0 Posts
you need to get the error code read & report back to us.

If the error was related to the flat battery the engine light might clear after 3 successful starts of the engine + 3 FULL warm ups of the engine.

How long is the light on? hours? days? weeks?

L

·
0 Posts
you need to get the error code read & report back to us.

If the error was related to the flat battery the engine light might clear after 3 successful starts of the engine + 3 FULL warm ups of the engine.

How long is the light on? hours? days? weeks?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a similar issue this year. Car left standing for a while in the cold. I read the code using the cable bought from this forum and FIAT ECU scan on my laptop. The code suggested many things but the one I could check right away was the EGR valve. Removed, fully dismantled (including the actuator side), cleaned and greased, replace and cleared the fault. I also had to remove some of the deposits from the intake manifold opening but this was not an extensive clean.
Car now runs much better and the fault is gone. If someone suggests the same issue upon reading the code don't let them replace the valve until you have tried to clean it yourself. Its too easy not to try and will save you at least £100 in replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Alfa's get loads of electrical gremlims when the batteries get low and worn out. Ever had a new one?

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
The battery is another thing.

Was going to say the electrics could simply need re-setting when you jumped it. That's another possibility (but as it wouldn't start could be more than likely a problem unless battery just needs charging).

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I had this earlier in the year - turned out to be moisture in the coil packs. No idea where the moisture came from.
no coil packs on a jtd tough :)

and your not supposed to jump start them either......or bump them...........battery off and charge or new battery is the way to do it

i had to bump my gt jtd after wife left her ignition on the do her hair via invertor while camping......no other option was open to me........mileage display flashed for a few days, then stopped

Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motor control system failure.156 TS

The "motor control system failure" warning light activated on my 156 TS - yet the car was running perfectly well, and did so for all of the Christmas holiday period. My local independent garage checked the car with their computer diagnostic and found that the coil and plugs needed changing.. the warning light has gone and the car now works even BETTER THAN BEFORE with enhanced performance. I can recommend Peter Jones Engineering, Shrewsbury Rd, Oxton, Birkenhead for any Alfa problems.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
The "motor control system failure" warning light activated on my 156 TS - yet the car was running perfectly well, and did so for all of the Christmas holiday period. My local independent garage checked the car with their computer diagnostic and found that the coil and plugs needed changing.. the warning light has gone and the car now works even BETTER THAN BEFORE with enhanced performance. I can recommend Peter Jones Engineering, Shrewsbury Rd, Oxton, Birkenhead for any Alfa problems.
never heard of him ..........

·
Registered
13 Posts
MCSF on 147JTDm

Hi

Made the mistake of putting Sainsbury's diesel in my 147, which created tons of black smoke. :eek:

I refilled it with Shell V-Power (its usual drink) and added a cleaner, but there's some noticable flat spots in the throttle (if it was petrol I'd suspect a plug/ignition problem) and still loads of smoke.

This morning I got the engine warning light and engine control system failure message.:eek:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
This morning I got the engine warning light and engine control system failure message.:eek:

Any ideas?
Nope.

You either have to take it to a garage or ask a friend to read the code, it'll narrow down the problem.

Or... DIY. The free version of FiatECUScan and the necessary cable will do it.

Where are you, maybe an AO member could help.

All the best

Pub

G

·
0 Posts
Hi

Made the mistake of putting Sainsbury's diesel in my 147, which created tons of black smoke. :eek:

I refilled it with Shell V-Power (its usual drink) and added a cleaner, but there's some noticable flat spots in the throttle (if it was petrol I'd suspect a plug/ignition problem) and still loads of smoke.

Any ideas?
Hmmm Why "automatically" assume that putting in supermarket diesel a sole responsible factor for a fault, 6.5 million diesels in the UK use the supermarket stuff on a regular basis yet we dont see 6.5 million of them coughing out plumes of smoke:rolleyes:

You have pretty much answered your own question in a round about way my friend "I refilled it with Shell V-Power (its usual drink)"
Now I am not going to enter into a full blown discussion about the pitfalls and merits of different fuels etc.... That topic has been done to death!
All I will say is V-Power and their Ilk have additives and extra detergents in them (fact)... Good or bad is up to the individual.
So over time you engine starts to "depend" on them, so when you end up going back to normal stuff, that the car would have run on quite well in the first place I might add (it was designed to run on normal diesel afterall)... It now doesn't like it... Your engine is now a "junkie" for the additives!
The question is: do they put these additives in to get your car hooked so you cant go anywhere else?
Or do they really work and its just plain bad luck with a bad batch of fuel?
Thats an open ended question!

Just like using ether or easystart on a difficult to start diesel engine, use it very, very occasionally, its fine... use it all the time, it wont start without its fix...:rolleyes:

It's called killing with kindness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took it into Kwik-Fit, who put it on their machine (when they managed to find where to plug it in!).

P010F Air mass meter or air-flow sensor
A/B incorrect assignment

Can anyone translate??

G

·
0 Posts
A/B incorrect assignment i.e lack of correlation between it normal given values.
Laymans terms:
What goes in isn't matching with what is going out and what's being used...
In other words your set values are a little out of range, either too rich or too lean so it's having a dicky fit trying to balance....
Wait and see if it rectifies itself, it usually will... If not then the two places to start looking would be MAF (a clean may suffice) or) since you are having no hessitation/ lack of power issues. Or
O2 sensor (check it's readings for close loop voltage/current)when cold and warm
Just as a matter of interest, did they warm the engine to normal running temperature before checking the values or did they do it from cold?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Took it into Kwik-Fit, who put it on their machine (when they managed to find where to plug it in!).

A/B incorrect assignment

Can anyone translate??
error codes dont look right to me ,yes they point at maf but never seen codes like that unless you mis read or mis typed them in

did they erase codes ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts