Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just another possibility..........
I'm another victim of the motor control system failure. My 147 JTD started losing power prior to the light coming on. couldnt work out what was going on. When the light did come on normal power was restored........very strange!
Phoned Alfa, who thought £55 for a half hour labour to plug the car in would be acceptable. After i finished laughing, spoke wi my mate who has a diagnostic interface that he bought off of ebay for about £20......totally worth its weight in gold. plugged it in and it immediately found a fault with the EGR valve. Took it off to find that it was choked with carbon deposits. cleaned it with carb cleaner and a bit o elbow grease, stuck it back on. reset the fault light and took the car for a blast.......seems to have done the job.
The nice lady at alfa was right about one thing though........that light could represent any amount o possibilities.....WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT. :cheese:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
we knew this already, and its 'MOTOR' not Monitor:thumbs:;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you might but i didnt.......thought forums were for helping each other out?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
you might but i didnt.......thought forums were for helping each other out?
they are, theres loads of info on here about the egr valves on diesels and the trouble they cause, the stupid mcsf light, that rears its head at something as little as a voltage drop in the battery.

wasnt having a go matey:thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fair do's........I didn't know what an EGR valve was before it come up on his computer so would have been none the wiser searching for help. :lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
fair do's........I didn't know what an EGR valve was before it come up on his computer so would have been none the wiser searching for help. :lol:
you wouldnt have needed too, 'motor control system failure' search would have brought up about 20 million threads. half for the twin sparks and mainly concerning voltage drops, and the other half on the JTD egr valve, which you can get switched off by the way and have no more problems with;):thumbs:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just changed the egr valve on my wife's GT. car now going perfect bu MSCF light is still on. Do you need to get it turned off, or will it reset itself automatically. Could there be anything esle wrong or just it just stay on until switched off after chaging egr valve

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Just changed the egr valve on my wife's GT. car now going perfect bu MSCF light is still on. Do you need to get it turned off, or will it reset itself automatically. Could there be anything esle wrong or just it just stay on until switched off after chaging egr valve

Thanks.
It should clear after a few restarts (3-5 ... although seems a bit random) ... unless of course you didn't connect it back up properly :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks.
I am having the same problem. My GT (1.9 JTD,2004) started losing power out of a sudden last weekend.
1.Suspected it was the EGR Problem got the garage to look at it since it was due for service on monday anyway.
2.When they plug-in to check, they found no error - Nothing at all.
3.Anyhow, got the car serviced and it drive very well after without any more power loss. NB. No MSCF light at the garage when I picked it up.
4.When I started it again at home MSCF light came on.
5.Took it back the next day and they agree it was EGR. Got it clean out and the MSCF light was gone when I picked it up at the Garage- Hurray no more MSFC (so I thought!)
6.When I started it again at home MSCF light came on!!!!!

I am consider changing the battery tomorrow given it is original Battery and is 6yrs old and while at it do a ECU reset.

However, I don't know what else to do if the battery change or EGR don't work?

Anyone got any ideals?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am having the same problem. My GT (1.9 JTD,2004) started losing power out of a sudden last weekend.
1.Suspected it was the EGR Problem got the garage to look at it since it was due for service on monday anyway.
2.When they plug-in to check, they found no error - Nothing at all.
3.Anyhow, got the car serviced and it drive very well after without any more power loss. NB. No MSCF light at the garage when I picked it up.
4.When I started it again at home MSCF light came on.
5.Took it back the next day and they agree it was EGR. Got it clean out and the MSCF light was gone when I picked it up at the Garage- Hurray no more MSFC (so I thought!)
6.When I started it again at home MSCF light came on!!!!!

I am consider changing the battery tomorrow given it is original Battery and is 6yrs old and while at it do a ECU reset.

However, I don't know what else to do if the battery change or EGR don't work?

Anyone got any ideals?
same here too, i dismantled my egr valve and cleaned the solenoid of the corrosion that was causing it to stick thus making my car run horribly. the car now runs fine but that damn MCSF light still comes on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a new battery for my GT today. Change it and did the ECU reset.

MCSF still lit up like a very bad dream :cry:

I don't understand anything. The Car drives very well, the alfa dealer checked it 2x in the same week without finding any faults. The ECU reset makes the car sounds and drives slightly better(I just got my service done 3 days ago) but MCSF still won't quit...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Got a new battery for my GT today. Change it and did the ECU reset.

MCSF still lit up like a very bad dream :cry:

I don't understand anything. The Car drives very well, the alfa dealer checked it 2x in the same week without finding any faults. The ECU reset makes the car sounds and drives slightly better(I just got my service done 3 days ago) but MCSF still won't quit...

Take your car somewhere else, if there is a MCSF then the is 100% a fault code present they can read ... if they can't find a fault code then they either haven't got the right equipment or don't know how to use it properly ...

... get yourself AlfaDiag and read the fault code yourself (that way the garage can't BS you)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts