Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. I'm having an issue I can't find any info on, I'm hoping you guys can help. I'm getting a motor control system failure message, but nothing is happening; i assume it's related to the crank sensor, but there's no cutting out, no loss of power. Strangely though, the driving data - average and actual mpg, range, etc all go blank. Any ideas?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Morning all. I'm having an issue I can't find any info on, I'm hoping you guys can help. I'm getting a motor control system failure message, but nothing is happening; i assume it's related to the crank sensor, but there's no cutting out, no loss of power. Strangely though, the driving data - average and actual mpg, range, etc all go blank. Any ideas?
It might help if you tell us exactly what car you have, or add that information to your profile to save repeating yourself in every new post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy an OBD2 reader - something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-OBD2-ELM327-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Android-iOS-IPhone-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool/253497201586?epid=7027233238&hash=item3b059c53b2:g:~m8AAOSwEIJbMhcv

Then download Torque(lite) or similar for free on your phone.

Plug it into the OBD port (near the drivers footwell if you have a GT or 147) and get it taking to your phone. It's not hard. This will give you some error codes to work with. As the previous post eludes to, it could be any number of things.

Search these forums for whatever error code(s) you get. You're unlikely to be the first to experience them. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, it's a 2003 147 1.9JTD. It turns out the car is just having a bit of fun with me, and every time I get in it it throws a different error message, today's is ABS failure! I've bought an obd reader, and as soon as I get a chance I'll take a look.

By the way, I need to disconnect the battery in order to reset the remote locking, do I need a radio code? I don't have the owners handbook.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sorry guys, it's a 2003 147 1.9JTD. It turns out the car is just having a bit of fun with me, and every time I get in it it throws a different error message, today's is ABS failure! I've bought an obd reader, and as soon as I get a chance I'll take a look.

By the way, I need to disconnect the battery in order to reset the remote locking, do I need a radio code? I don't have the owners handbook.
From my limited experience, this may well be a duff battery issue
Re the radio, if you pull it out and note the serial number, theres a sticky on here that will give u the code

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help. I'm beginning to think a new battery would be a good investment. However the fault came up again today, and actually cut the power as if going onto limp mode, albeit just for a second or so. A friend suggested the car might be low on brake fluid (which it is to be fair) because he'd had similar problems with his that stopped when he stopped up the fluid!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for your help. I'm beginning to think a new battery would be a good investment. However the fault came up again today, and actually cut the power as if going onto limp mode, albeit just for a second or so. A friend suggested the car might be low on brake fluid (which it is to be fair) because he'd had similar problems with his that stopped when he stopped up the fluid!
I cant help re that I'm afraid. Though I will venture a guess that if the fluid is so low that it gives abs warning, would that mean theres a chance air got into the system!?
Try topping up to see if it helps but find out how much the system should hold too. If you have to add say 40% of what's required then you may have to bleed the system too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are quite a few reasons why you might get this message and quite a few different reasons why the car might go into limp home mode. Did you get any codes from the OBD reader?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the OBD reader found nothing. I’ve ordered a new battery and a crank sensor, just in case. But I’m convinced it’s just an erroneous message caused by poor electrical connections is similar. By the way, how the hell do you get to the crank sensor..?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used to get this on my 156 2.0 JTS quite frequently, especially first thing in the morning on cold days, when it was slow to turn over. I also had a few other odd issues like the outside temperature sensor deciding it was -45C! It's all been good as gold since I put a new battery in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts