Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MCS warning light is constantly on in my 2005 1.9 Jtd GT.

I had to jump start the car as the battery was dead after being left for a week whilst I was away: this is the second time in two weeks I had to have the car jumped, but this time the warning light is on.

Car drives fine and starts up okay now the battery has charged.

Any ideas what it could be, and how to make it go away?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hmmm, i wouldnt go jump starting my car, far too many stories of electrical failures. Get some diagnostics on your car before you start to read about all the extremely costly failures than could have happened. A low battery itself though can cause this warning. Charge the battery properly and monitor it, that or change the battery!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much choice given that the car was at work and I needed to get home! I wouldn't have thought jump leads would have caused a problem as they just provide a link to a "good" battery?

Anyway...going to try and change the battery as this is probably the cheapest and easiest (and quickest) thing to do.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
It provides a surge in current and can blow electrical items in the car, hopefully nothing though. Your best off also getting your own diagnostics, check if alfadiag is compatible with your ECU.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see...I hate all that electrical cr*p.

Going to get a new battery tomorrow. Should I need a new one after 3 years and 40K miles?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Nope...

Try find someone near you with diagnostics instead, failing that if you have a battery charger, leave it on overnight and see if you get any faults tomorrow.

A

·
0 Posts
Alfa's should have new batteries before they even leave the factory!!! - the standard ones are not powerful in the first place which often lead to false messages lighting up the dash. It's silly really becuase if they fitted a proper battery, Alfa's wouldn't have half of the bad reputation for electrical reliability :rolleyes:.

Try and go for a Bosch (easily available at ATS for a resonable £60-70) or a Varta (not so readily available).

A

·
0 Posts
Nope...

Try find someone near you with diagnostics instead, failing that if you have a battery charger, leave it on overnight and see if you get any faults tomorrow.
If the Eddie has a battery die after just 1 week then its not holding charge anyway!!! If it had been a month or two then I could understand the flat battery, but not just after a week.

Like I have just mentioned, the standard batteries are utter rubbish at the best of times let alone when they age.
Just sift through all of the MCF and VDC errors caused by shoddy factory fitted batteries!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Light went out this morning on the way home from work and I had a new Bosch battery fitted anyway.

That seems to have sorted it out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts