Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, not used this forum much before so any help will be appreciated.

I got back from holiday about a month ago and took my 2003 147 1.6 Lusso to the shops, at first it was really ropey and it was idling at over 1000 rpm but after a few minutes driving the running smoothed out .
I'd then driven on about 2 miles of dual carriage way at a steady speed when it started overheating. 1 RAC truck later and it turned out the radiator was knackered. Having just received a letter from work telling me I was being made redundant I decided to take it down to the local mechanic (to save a bit of money), where I get my wife's Ford Fiesta fixed to have the radiator looked at, and they replaced it.
All was well, however i hadn't been driving it as much as usual, probably drove about 25 miles in the first week of August and then the occasional trip to the supermarket. I've been mainly using the Fiesta as its fuel economy is much better that the 147.

I took the 147 out earlier this week and again it was idling at arround 1100rpm and the power delivery under 2500rpm was non existent.

I thought this ropeyness might be down to me running it on low fuel, so i filled the tank up and added some fuel injector cleaner.

After a couple of days I took the 147 out for another spin, same running problems and by the time I got to the end of my street a Motor Control System Failure flagged up on the screen, so I took her home, checked the oil level which is fine, but then I noticed there was a pipe hanging down on just behind the front bumper on the passenger side. The pipe is approx 100mmin diameter and goes up towards the bonnet before disappearing. Spotting where this had come detached from i re attached it and tried driving it again. Same error same running etc. Also the Mrs noticed when I reversed it onto the drive that the exhaust was a bit smoky and there is a faint smell of petrol from the exhaust.

Any clues what the problem could be and what sort of bill I could be facing. I'm still unemployed at the moment so laying out fists full of cash on a car that I don't necessarily need isn't at the top of my priority list at the moment.

A friend of mine who also uses this forum recommended I ask here.

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not having a 147 I can only make suggestions as to what the pipe maybe. Someone will correct me if im wrong which is quite possible.

Could the pipe be the air intake to the bottom of the airfilter box. The airfilter could now be covered in crap and need replacing if you are lucky. Otherwise the MAF may need changing. You can disconnect the MAF and see if it drives any better. It may still tick over rough without it attached.

Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may well be that, it goes into a black box behind the radiator, but not having a ramp I can't get that far underneath to see.

Cheers for the suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts