Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my car has been off the road for the past year following me smashing my pelvis, car was running without any problems before i had to put it of the road, it the car ran fine for a few days when i put it back on the road, now however I've got the dreaded motor control system failure with the error code p1688 when i start the car, so far I've changed the battery, disconnected & cleaned all the connectors on the engine, ecu reset, but I'm still getting the fault, anything else i should be looking at?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tried the alternator? I was getting that error along with others when mine was on the way out. A volt meter would quickly tell you the truth if that was the case. Possible if your car has been stood up for a year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the alternator? I was getting that error along with others when mine was on the way out. A volt meter would quickly tell you the truth if that was the case. Possible if your car has been stood up for a year.
thanks I'll dig out my trusty multimeter & check out the voltage output

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,249 Posts
P1688 is the ' Motorised throttle (2nd idle learn) Check the connector at the throttle body for corrosion or loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all fixed now, I read through all the posts & the many suggestions as the possable causes & to how fix i could find in relation to this fault none of which helped in the end it turned out to be corrison in the two multiplugs on the fuse box, how did i find that out i hear you cry, well it was while i was removing them to remove the fuse box so i could repair the infamous nonreturn to center gearstick & difficult gear selection caused by the linkage spindle siezing a quick grease up of the spindle & a spray of servosol to all the multiplugs on the fusebox when i was refitting them, with all that done I started the the car with bated breath to my joy no more MIL got my cousin to drive the car for a few miles ( i cant drive a manual yet due to my injury) he reported back that all was well with the MIL & the gear change was silky smooth once again, so all thats left now is build up the strength in my leg enough to operate the clutch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts