Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...motor control system failure light intermittently appears..car is 147 Ts.. Car drives normally..is there one of those plug in gadgets I can buy for this vehicle which I can use to clear fault..its just an irritant more than anything...thanks

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
You can buy a generic code reader for about £12
And then find it lies ... although the EU SAYS that all cars with EOBD can be read by any compatible reader, that isn't always true ...

MES is much the better option but then you are carting a laptop back and forth ...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
And then find it lies ... although the EU SAYS that all cars with EOBD can be read by any compatible reader, that isn't always true ...

MES is much the better option but then you are carting a laptop back and forth ...
The item I've put a link to works perfectly with my GTA, it's also linked to a Clio and a 206.
MES is obviously the better option though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice..will go for the mes then..don't mind paying a bit more if its more reliable...I'll be honest,lol..i don't even know where it plugs in..i presume its somewhere under the dash but never looked..i do know how to work a laptop so no trouble there? thanks again..great site

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
It depends a lot on the age of the car .. pre-2001 there's little chance it will even connect, but it's not really until diesels when to EOBD in 2004 that they started to be more reliable .. I think before that the manufacturers were still customising the code ...

PSA were clever .. only having about half the car controlled by the ECU and the rest their proprietary BSI system .. perhaps being French meant they were allowed to bend the rules ...

There are also some of the market that aren't really EOBD but the earlier OBDII ... people market them to sell .. then disappear when you want your money back!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Thanks for the advice..will go for the mes then..don't mind paying a bit more if its more reliable...I'll be honest,lol..i don't even know where it plugs in..i presume its somewhere under the dash but never looked..i do know how to work a laptop so no trouble there? thanks again..great site
The trim below your steering column drops down (held in place by 2 crosshead screws). The diagnostic port is on the right hand side amongst the fuses and relays.

Reactions: pugmick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It depends a lot on the age of the car .. pre-2001 there's little chance it will even connect, but it's not really until diesels when to EOBD in 2004 that they started to be more reliable .. I think before that the manufacturers were still customising the code ...

PSA were clever .. only having about half the car controlled by the ECU and the rest their proprietary BSI system .. perhaps being French meant they were allowed to bend the rules ...

There are also some of the market that aren't really EOBD but the earlier OBDII ... people market them to sell .. then disappear when you want your money back!
Thanks..car is a 2002 Twinspark 1600 so hopefully it should fit?!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trim below your steering column drops down (held in place by 2 crosshead screws). The diagnostic port is on the right hand side amongst the fuses and relays.
Thanks mymatemarmite for that..to be honest I wouldn't have thought lookin there...top man...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks davffc..some nice geezers on this site..very helpful..thanks
I bought my memoscan U581 in 2008 for £59. I have succesfully used it on megane 02reg golf gti Yreg golf V5 Yreg micra 05reg kangoo 1.2 53reg 156 jts 03reg fiat siecento 51reg civic 04reg bmw Z3 Wreg 156 jtd 16v 04reg 156 20v 04reg MGzt cdti 03reg astra Dti 04reg mazda 6 54reg.I have tryed it on a few diesels registered before 04 and it only worked od my pals 03reg mg zt cdti. I think it worked on my colleagues Wreg Z3 as it was built in the USA and they were compliant in 1996.This is without any doubt the best tool in my collection has solved faults in all the cars listed above and earned me bottles of wine/beer. The reader has only ever let me down when trying to read codes in non compliant cars petrol pre 2001/diesel pre 2004. The only thing better for alfa/fiat is fiat ecu scan which is not nearly as convenient as it requires laptop.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
MES or FES worked great on my old laptop but I've struggled with it since getting windows 10. I used Alfadiag briefly aswell. I'm sure it can be made to work but the generic readers are significantly easier to use. I even have a blue tooth thing now and phone app that pretty much does everything needed for less than £5.

I'll only use the laptop and cable if i need to reset my airbag.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I support dgmayheads' view about MES. It is fantastic software and will do much more than most people will ever need but.......

You can spend days getting it set up and working or it might work first time! It is definitely more stable on XP but I do now have a working version on Win10 though that does crash occasionally. Sadly my XP PC recently died. I am considering partitioning hard drive and installing XP on that just for MES.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I have used MultiECUscan on a Windows 7 Acer Netbook and I have recently update the OS to Windows 10 and don't have any problems to run MultiECUscan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all...well I bought this kit off ebay which I was advised to by the seller...ELM v1.4+KKL VAG OBD2+adaptors+diagnostics cable MULTIECUSCAN...would show you a picture but don't know how to put it on here...trouble is it shows all this kit with a disc as well but didn't receive disc..sent email but no reply...Do I need the disc?..i only wanted something to clear a motor control light and ended up with all this malarkey...light went out ages ago anyway lol...but I may need it again anyway so no problem. But do I need the disc and where do I start with it..as you may be able to tell I wasn't brought up in the computer age but am prepared to have a bash...i think I've bit off more than I can chew though looking at it...please someone where do I start...thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
No disc required. Just go onto the MES website and download the free version.
The disc may be the driver for the elm cable or free vw software.
You may need to download a driver but download programme first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No disc required. Just go onto the MES website and download the free version.
The disc may be the driver for the elm cable or free vw software.
You may need to download a driver but download programme first.
Fantastic..feel better now..lol..will have a mess at the weekend..thanks for the info. cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts