Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been a while since ive been on here,
wife picked up a 147 to learn in, car ran fine, all be it very noisy as flexi on exhaust was buggered, have taken this off car and had it repaired properly with new flexi, put exhaust back on earlier, reconnected 3 sensors and now wont go past 20mph, but seems to rev freely, i.e past 3k, any suggestions would be appreciated, nothing else was disconnected bar exhaust and the 3 sensors on the front part, that were unplugged from the front part:confused:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup was the lamba sensor that was disconnected from the plastic plugs, forgot to say its a 1.6ts on an 02 plate if that makes any difference, i can do the basics, but am no mechanic (undo nuts and bolts lol)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was advised to disconnect battery for 24hrs, reconnected battery back up, and was told to drive it in limp mode for 20-50 miles (i undertook this at 4.30am to avoid the traffic lol) after 45 miles, juddered a lot pulled into layby, turned engine off, left it for 5 mins restarted to a whole dazzling light show of warning and failure lights (abs, oil pressure, the will to live etc ) restarted again all warning lights are off including the motor control failure, still running a bit rough, but am slightly more hopeful, just need to find out why its running rough (tomorrows job is checking breather pipes, earth wires etc)
if anyone has any advice i would be gratefull =O)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Try unplugging the MAF, you get a warning on the dash but if it runs better you'll know that its the culprit. Sometimes when they're on there way out they give the ECU incorrect readings that mess with the air/fuel ratio but won't cause a fault code.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
mcsf will go after a few starts if the fault does not trigger itself so dont assume its fixed, you need to find out what the wires where for that got disconnected, if flexi as been welded on then the lambda could be stuffed especially if it was electric welder.
the lambda sensor measures the air fuel mixture and tells ecu to adjust as needed so if its damaged its reading wrong and fueling wrong, which will make your care run rough

you could also get codes read to see what it thinks is wrong

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
was advised to disconnect battery for 24hrs, reconnected battery back up, and was told to drive it in limp mode for 20-50 miles (i undertook this at 4.30am to avoid the traffic lol) after 45 miles, juddered a lot pulled into layby, turned engine off, left it for 5 mins restarted to a whole dazzling light show of warning and failure lights (abs, oil pressure, the will to live etc ) restarted again all warning lights are off including the motor control failure, still running a bit rough, but am slightly more hopeful, just need to find out why its running rough (tomorrows job is checking breather pipes, earth wires etc)
if anyone has any advice i would be gratefull =O)
was this supposed to be ECU reset? and how did you put the car into limp mode?
this is ecu reset
1. Disconnect battery for 45 mins
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine WITHOUT pressing throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins (I repeat, do not touch the throttle whilst the car is idling)
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)

it helps re calibrate sensor readings after new ones have been fitted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts