Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Please can I have some help with this problem my 2.0 147 has.
When I start the car up a warning message flashes up on the dash saying "Motor Contol System Failure" and the engine warning light stays on the whole time. It's been there for about two weeks, but the car still run's 100%, no noises, loss of power, smoke, nothing noticable etc. Any one have any ideas or how to go about fixing it?

Any help would be great,
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
get it pluged into a 'puter to get the error codes read out ... once you've got the error codes you'll be able to narrow down where the problem is (the MCSF is a generic warning that comes up for a whole host of errors)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first time it came on was when I started the car and not during a journey. It comes on from cold as soon as I turn ignition on. It then stays on until I turn the ignition off no matter how long the car is running.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The first time it came on was when I started the car and not during a journey. It comes on from cold as soon as I turn ignition on. It then stays on until I turn the ignition off no matter how long the car is running.
Well the good news (if you have a diesel that is) that it won't be the turbo because if the ECU detects a turbo problem it will but the car into limp mode ... as I said best thing to do is to get it connected to a 'puter, if you're near me (camberley) I can do this for you otherwise take it to a alfa independant garage ... or buy a reader yourself, if your car is EODB (petrol later than 2001, diesel later than 2004) then you can get any old generic reader (from ebay etc), if it is older than this than AlfaDiag Alfa Romeo Diagnostic Software is your best bet ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the help Chris, sadly I don't live near as I'm in the Lake District, thank you very much for the kind offer though. I took your advice and its at the local Fiat garage this moring getting checked out as I need the car for a long journey later this week and can't afford to risk a breakdown as I'm flying to Dublin. Nearest Alfa garage is well over 60-70 miles away so no chance of it going to one sadly. Its a '03 2.0 Petrol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the car back today. The fault was traced to a broken upstream lambda probe which has been replaced. Wish I owned/managed a main dealer garage the price they charge for labour.:eek: Have to give credit where its due though, very quick and professional service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the same fault during 5-6 days. It diappeared itself, but I'm going to check the lambda. Should I look for something else?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
this hapend to me too but for 5 seconds only it was cold but never hapened againhad it diagnosed on OEBD too but no error code strange i also hav 03 2l 147

1 - 10 of 10 Posts