Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 months ago had alternator problems took it to motolek for a recon, started having power drain problems and after battery replacement and testing and pulling every fuse i found the alternator diode was faulty the rectifier was draining the battery
when i took it back was told rectifier failed and broke the brand new volt regulator costing another 870 for new parts when i asked if the rectifier was not part of reconditioning (as u could c it was the original 216k km old) a alternator was told if it test good they dont replace it, phoned Montaque gardens Motolek to ask what they do when u require a recon and was told they only replace what is broken

now in my mind a recon is like new, with new parts all over and not a service with your old pats and some new

so if u ever take a starter or a alternator to Motolek for recon they will charge u a recon price for doing the absolute minimum knowing u will be back as soon as the other part fails witch voids your guarantee for the new parts breaking as a result of the old part they left in

that is why i dont let other people work on the engine i do everything myself
i should have ordered the kit from ebay and done it myself would have been a lot less pain full experience and cheaper lesson learned

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
is this a v6? of so its not as easy as changong broken parts as there is a bosch part and a magneti Marreli part. the bosch is ok to replace parts but the MAgnetti one does not like it and causes additional failures. you will find a new alternator is not badly priced (3900 last i checked) but the labour, holeee ****.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a megnetti the problem came he replaced the old rectifier and not a new part that in turn blew the new voltage regulator, if u ask for reconditioning it means replacing all the replaceable parts with new: bushes, router, rectifier and the voltage regulator
if u ask them to fix it then yes replace what is broken and leave what is not, meaning you will have to do it again, to save myself the trouble of taking the thing out again(it was 216k old) i asked for a recon so all should be done with new parts
i had megnetti on most of the cars i owned and they reconditioned perfectly, but it was done by a friend mechie that does his job right and not a shady company using old parts to do a recon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts