Alfa Romeo Forum banner

MOT'ing Widebody

1K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  unquestioned 
#1 ·
Which bits of a 1997 widebody 155 rust the worst for the MOT? All of it because of it's age? I know the rear arches often look grotty but it's more subframes, floors, sills etc I'm interested in as I am going to see one and I think it'll probably not be easy to see under it for a general look. Ta!:)

#2 ·
If it has a sunroof then get the boot stripped right out and get into the darkest recesses of the edges (either side) and make sure that the drain pipes are through the holes and not in the car like mine were, generally you do need a good poke and prod under the car..:)

#4 ·
The sills & floors tend to go on both sides, also the drainage holes under the rear footwells. Have a look underneath & prod around. You also want to whip that rear bumper off & have a look around the inner & outer skins. Also just behind the front wheel arch liners, they can go aswell as they tend to trap crap.

#7 ·
As it happened, I didn't have to delve too hard, where the spare wheel well met the boot floor was badly holed. It's also Cat D loss though the damage is minor, I never got to hear it run and its' been parked outside some time. It all adds up, though it is black!

#10 ·
I had a 2.0 widebody a few years ago and like the idea of another, I'm not fazed by changing belts, clutches etc and general fettling but not keen on getting into fabrication even though I'm in a better position than most to do it DIY. I take it repair panels are not available, and the boot floor is a weak spot? I have probably left it too late for a budget 155 that doesn't need a couple of reels of mig wire!

#12 ·
I don't know that this to do with sunroof drains as the rot is between the spare wheel well and the back panel, the 2nd 155 I've seen with this though both had sunroofs. The sills had plastic guards over them and not possible to see under the car, though I didn't feel any bad bits. The back arches were showing a bit but not bad in an old car. Seller wants £250, wheels were very clean, told me engine very sweet though I never heard it. If I get it'll probably be a case of getting it home and seeing what I bought afterwards!

#14 ·
I'm happy to pass the details on if your interested, it's near Morpeth about 20miles north of Newcastle, strictly trailer home though. He also has a skinny 8v been stood a long time. After seeing a few 155's I couldn't face the work and £'s they needed,they were all a bit tired. So for about the same £'s as a 155 with the work done I bought a 2000 Merc CLk 320 with 12 months test and drove it 60 miles home. Sorry boys, I feel like a traitor! Thanks for the advice.

#16 ·
I've got some pics but I can't upload them, I need a child to show me how! I won't give his Email in public, any approaches would be better through the original ad in Car and Classic.

"Black Alfa for sale has had a minor rear shunt, not much to see apart from boot wont close, but classed as a category D by insurance.

The car has had about £1200 spent on engine etc, new cambelts, variator etc and runs superb. It has a wooden steering wheel and stereo with 6 CD changer (radio doesn't illuminate, but plays ok).

Handling superb with good tyres all round, very fast and sounds great...but the sunroof has decided to stick (probably could be sorted easily, but not had time), the drivers door locks but doesn't open with remote (probably switch needs moving). There are some minor dings and scratches, and some minor bubbling on ns rear wheel arch but it goes like nothing else!

Price: £250 Or near offer
Advert Type: For Sale
Category: Classic Cars
Make: Alfa Romeo
Model: 155 2.0 16v Super
Year: 1997
Region: Northumberland
Telephone: 07043 239925 (Privacy Service)
E-mail: Contact Advertiser via Email Car and Classic: Classic Cars for sale and wanted. Private/Trade, Vintage/Veteran Used Cars on Car and Classic UK
Listing Date: 14-Nov-2011"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.