Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its the first MOT I have had on the Alfa and its been and expensive one to say the least!!!

Heres what it failed on..

- Emissions
- Screen washer pump not working (well actually I took it out prior to
the mot for a clean - I didnt know it would fail on that though!!)
- Rear brakes not working atall (dangerous they said?!)
- Small hole in floor
- Headlights needed adjusting

Well, the garage had a diagnostics done then fitted a new Lamda sensor, fitted new rear pads and rear brake cables, unseized the rear calipers put the screen washer pump back in, had the headlights adjusted and the small hole welded up..

It then went for a retest...Failed on emissions again!

x2 bottles of very strong injector cleaner later...Emissions were two thirds lower than what they were (think it was reading 0.350ppm when originally tested, after the injector cleaner it was reading 0.101ppm (fantastic stuff!!)!!

I had the garage do a couple more things for me aswel, but at a rough guess it cost me around £400 ish...

Is that bad??

I have owened x2 Ford Focus's before the alfa and the MOT on them has never been more than £80!! Oh well...

R

·
0 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me, but seeing as they changed your Lambda and it didn't have any effect, I wouldn't pay for that. Also, I doubt injector cleaner would assist in lowering the emissions?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well here on the IOM they don't have MOT's when u first move to the island they do what term as a MOT for life quite a strict test then thats it no MOT's at all..............which I don't personally think is a good idea but hey I'm not the goverment over here (but there is a note to this u must keep ur car road worthy other wise if ur stopped by the law & ur car is not road worthy then u get a big summons....:(

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds reasonable to me, but seeing as they changed your Lambda and it didn't have any effect, I wouldn't pay for that. Also, I doubt injector cleaner would assist in lowering the emissions?
I have heard of quite a few stories of people using high octane fuel and injector cleaner before their mot's...?

Well it worked in my case anyway!! So im not complaining !! :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
i have a reciept for £51.75 + £35(/hour) by 1 hour fitting in ma service from AJ Reily

so £80.00?

that was in 2005

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a reciept for £51.75 + £35(/hour) by 1 hour fitting in ma service from AJ Reily

so £80.00?

that was in 2005

Expensive!

Well...Iv got a very good mechanic as a friend who doesnt make anything on parts (trade price).. Plus charges £20 per hour... Cash in hand - no tax ;)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
£400 may seem quite pricy, but if you needed new pads / clean up calipers / new brake cables / adjust headlamps then it sounds to me like teh servicing hasn't been kept up to date :(

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
£400 may seem quite pricy, but if you needed new pads / clean up calipers / new brake cables / adjust headlamps then it sounds to me like teh servicing hasn't been kept up to date :(
Servicing only does the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter and cabin filter..

MOT's are good because it brings things to your attention like this..

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Well here on the IOM they don't have MOT's when u first move to the island they do what term as a MOT for life quite a strict test then thats it no MOT's at all..............which I don't personally think is a good idea but hey I'm not the goverment over here (but there is a note to this u must keep ur car road worthy other wise if ur stopped by the law & ur car is not road worthy then u get a big summons....:(
Down here in South Africa, we have a similar set up. Test must also be done if you sell the car. Problem is, if you keep the car for several years, then you can get away with it. I also don't agree with this system. It allows for sum real unroadworthy vehicles on the road, its simply not possible to have a copper at every road checking cars passing by...

I had the garage do a couple more things for me aswel, but at a rough guess it cost me around £400 ish...

Is that bad??

I have owened x2 Ford Focus's before the alfa and the MOT on them has never been more than £80!! Oh well...
That is a little aggressive, but they did do quiet alot of workif you consider it. Quick question though, did the Focus's have the same sportiness as the Alfa ?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Servicing only does the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter and cabin filter..

MOT's are good because it brings things to your attention like this..
Servicing should do much more than that; it should do quite a lot of checking as well, especially for safety relating items! You shouldn;t rely on the MoT to tell you when your car needs work, it only looks at whether your car is safe today, not whether it will stay safe tomorrow.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Down here in South Africa, we have a similar set up. Test must also be done if you sell the car. Problem is, if you keep the car for several years, then you can get away with it. I also don't agree with this system. It allows for sum real unroadworthy vehicles on the road, its simply not possible to have a copper at every road checking cars passing by...

That is a little aggressive, but they did do quiet alot of workif you consider it. Quick question though, did the Focus's have the same sportiness as the Alfa ?
Well.... I have had 2 Focus's.. A 1.4 and a 1.8 TDCI..
To be honest they have been the best cars I have owned.. Excellent handling, cheap insurance, looks good, never had a problem with them!! etc etc..

Now.. For the life storey...I had a bit of an accident with my 54reg 1.8 TDCI Focus (lets just say walls and cars dont mix!).. After the accident (The car was written off) I needed a cheap run around until my insurance money came through.. My mate was selling his Alfa 145 for £600 but he said it needed a bit of work doing on it.. (yeah £1800 later!!)... Anyway my insurance came through.. Its was not cost effective to get rid of the alfa with the amount of money I spent on it so iv ended up keepin it..

...So its in answer to your question yes the Alfa is sporty to drive (I cant get over how nice the engine sounds when you push it! Mustang springs to mind...)
At the mo iv got cheap tyres on (not my choice, came with the car) so cornering isnt good... just slides and squeels!
On the Focus I had Toyo Proxies T1R's.. They are fantastic, no loss of handling no matter the weather! Hopefully il be getting a set soon because im getting sick to death of sliding around corners even with the slightest bit of rain (even at 20mph! there like slicks!).... So im afraid to take it on a 'proper italian drive' incase it looses grip and I go sliding into another wall...Dont want that again!! The car goes like **** off a shoval at the moment (alot quicker than the Focus 1.8...not as much torque tho - well diesels have quite alot dont they? Plus I had the Focus chipped so it was running about 140bhp..I do miss the turbo though..)

If anyone is wondering what tyres to get... Definatly get the Toyo Proxies, they are standard on Suburu's and most other Jap cars.. Think I paid £80 per tyre on the Focus..

Thing is... I bought a Focus because its a nice looking mature car for a mature person.. I wanted to get out of the 'boy racer' cars like iv had in the past...
...Now with this Alfa I feel like a boy racer again!! The noise of the engine is standard! I had to do all sorts of things to my other cars to get them sounding something like!
Now that its sorted out properly I really enjoy driving it, I have noticed that the turning circle is very poor though!! (3point turn is now a 6 point turn!)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Emissions are FUN though ,aren't they ?
A top tip I have learned is to run the cleaner through , drive it like you nicked it for approx 20 minutes , and then turn up for the test , leaving the car ticking-over all the time that you are waiting..;)

because we don't want to contribute to Global Warming , do we ??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts