Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MoT passed again - no advisories

Happy days - so that's a few extra quid being retained for the new springs and shocks :)

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
MoT passed again - no advisories

Happy days - so that's a few extra quid being retained for the new springs and shocks :)
Nice one Marky. My season starts again wan day soon.:depressed::biglaugh:

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Well done that mans 166 :)

Ye, MOT season for me too. Need some rear tyres this year....probably. Might just put on a couple of the wheels I took off the Super for the test, although they are a bit scabby and I don't think the tyres were that great anyway. Other than that...fingers crossed as usual. Not sure how many more years it'll go before needing something expensive but I'm not going to go looking for trouble. I did keep the entire rear suspension apart from the springs/dampers off the Super I broke as it was in good order. Can't say the same for the front though - shocks were shocking, lower wishbones both utterly knackered. Upper wishbones were OK though so I kept those too.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys.

Also got - well the car did - admiring looks from a guy in a Jag F -Type just outside Bedford

Let's hope passes all round :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Zip-er-dee-doo-dah,Zip-er-dee-a,my oh my what a wonderful day,Crisp new MOT headed my way:readit:,no avdvisories either,Zip-er-dee-a !

Taken a few financial kickings at MOT time in recent years,so happy days:biglaugh:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zip-er-dee-doo-dah,Zip-er-dee-a,my oh my what a wonderful day,Crisp new MOT headed my way:readit:,no avdvisories either,Zip-er-dee-a !

Taken a few financial kickings at MOT time in recent years,so happy days:biglaugh:
Top banana mocky

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Another pass today. The Sporto went through again, but, 4 advisories this time :( Both front lower balljoints have some play, but potentially a killer, both rear suspension turrets are showing corrosion. Advisory level now, but it never gets better does it. Not sure what to do now. Do I spend some time basically tarting up the suspensions turrets and hoping it staves off the worst for another year or two and replace the wishbones while I'm at it, do nothing and see how it fares next year, or..?? Had the car 8 years now and it's been great, but now getting to the do I/don't I level. The airbag warning light still plays up from time to time as well, so that's another factor. System is fine, it just *****es about the passenger airbag warning lamp being faulty...when it isn't. After extensive messing last year I concluded it's dirty/corroded contacts on the airbag ECU connector and wasn't able to do owt with them. I have the complete system out of the car I scraped, but changing the loom over is an epic task.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another pass today. The Sporto went through again, but, 4 advisories this time :( Both front lower balljoints have some play, but potentially a killer, both rear suspension turrets are showing corrosion. Advisory level now, but it never gets better does it. Not sure what to do now. Do I spend some time basically tarting up the suspensions turrets and hoping it staves off the worst for another year or two and replace the wishbones while I'm at it, do nothing and see how it fares next year, or..?? Had the car 8 years now and it's been great, but now getting to the do I/don't I level. The airbag warning light still plays up from time to time as well, so that's another factor. System is fine, it just *****es about the passenger airbag warning lamp being faulty...when it isn't. After extensive messing last year I concluded it's dirty/corroded contacts on the airbag ECU connector and wasn't able to do owt with them. I have the complete system out of the car I scraped, but changing the loom over is an epic task.
The do or don't debate is heart v mind as well you know. I'm dreading when I get to that point.......

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Id spend the time tarting up the turrets at least. Wishbones can be done although neverdone them mmyself on a 166.

Doesn't sound that bad to be honest.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
What bothers me about the turrets is just how rotten they were on the super I scrapped recently. Until I got to cutting it apart, it looked perfectly fine......

Wishbones no problem, only decision to make there is whether to use cheap pattern parts that wear out fast or expensive TRW OEM ones that last. TBH, given the miles I do, cheap ones will be fine. To do a decent job of just cleaning and protecting the turrets means dropping the rear suspension. I might give it a look when the weather warms up a bit and decide then, based on how bad it looks once I get in there. I did keep the rear suspension off the scrapper as it was in decent order so that would be a good opportunity to swap it over.

For now, it's fine and has a years ticket, so it comes down to if I can be bothered or not really. Mechanical jobs don't bother me, rusty monocoque I can't be doing with and if the turrets are going, so are other parts of it that are better hidden. It has some rust bubbles on one front wing as well, so the factors are adding up.

A former workmate may be selling his IS250 soon so there's another option. I finish work in September and we still have the Jeep and the Westfield, and I'm working on building my next project, so do we really need another car at all? Who knows, might just end up scrapping this one as well. Keep the engine as a spare for my project.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really feel for you guys in Britain. We don't have any problems with corrosion these days here in Australia. It wasn't that long ago that a car lasted as long as the body and rego inspections were the death nell of many a car, particularly Alfas. These days it's not an issue as cars just don't rust any more. On the down side cars plummet in value when the clear coat breaks down, about ten years in the hot Australian sun. One thing I have noticed is your second hand car prices are far lower over there, maybe because they are corroding from the bottom up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I really feel for you guys in Britain. We don't have any problems with corrosion these days here in Australia. It wasn't that long ago that a car lasted as long as the body and rego inspections were the death nell of many a car, particularly Alfas. These days it's not an issue as cars just don't rust any more. On the down side cars plummet in value when the clear coat breaks down, about ten years in the hot Australian sun. One thing I have noticed is your second hand car prices are far lower over there, maybe because they are corroding from the bottom up.
Last place I lived in Oz was Coffs Harbour next to Park Beach. The sea spray could do a bit of damage but nothing like the amount of salt poured onto Scottish roads! You do see more old cars in Oz that often look in reasonable nick. There was also a 166 in Coffs which I often saw parked outside my son's school. There's an Alfa dealer there.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's this years ticket sorted :)

Shame the fee is back up to £54 rather than £35 but hey ho!

Slight corrosion on rear discs and mid section of exhaust

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes indeed - upper wishbones next on the list

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's this years ticket sorted :)

Shame the fee is back up to £54 rather than £35 but hey ho!

Slight corrosion on rear discs and mid section of exhaust
12 months on, glad to say MOT passed,a couple of advisories being rear tyres worn close to legal minimum,and handbrake cables hanging down due to broken plastic brackets near rear wheels.:thumbu p:

Getting a bit like Groundhog day on this thread,long live Grounhog day!:happy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts