Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from my previous MOT failed post im pleased to say the 166 has now passed. The headlamps were aiming on the floor becuase some numpty :rolleyes:(me) had failed to locate the aiming motors correctly when re assembling the lights after changing the sidelights. Apparently there is a little rod that goes from the motor into the light and it has to be spot on when re positioned. Ill know next time!

Big issue was brake failure. My parking brake efficiency was 14%:eek: Needed two brand new handbrake cables at £25 each. I thought it was really cool that the handbrake cable that passes close to the exhaust has its own heat shield. Apparently the offside cable was shagged and was causing that side to bind so I decided to replace both. I know they are done now so peace of mind.

All in all it was £50 for the MOT, £50 for new cables and 2.5 hours of labour(£140) to get the 166 through. Ive now got a nice green MOT certificate with no advisories:cool:

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Excellent MLC,

While I dont always agree on replacing things in pairs....Handbrake cables is a defo replace in pairs.

RAINSKI WHERE DO YOU GO FOR YOUR MOTS? I WAS £50 TOO.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Really.. Just a place near me in Leicester called Barkby Rd M.O.T Centre
:thumbs:Thanks Rainski...Just too far and too costly on petrol BUT it would be a good run.

I did get a £35 one out of Kwik fit a few years ago which included a free retest after 6 weeks (Emission problems..ford mondeo new cat £50 solved) now that was magic.I thought that I would have to pay for the full retest after so long a gap BUT didn't argue the point.

Pomeo

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Glad to see it went through O.K. I hate taking Cars for an M.O.T.bit like going to the Dentist, except it can be a lot more painful if it fails !!!!!....:):)

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I thought the MOT was a flat rate set by the Dept of Transport?
I paid £40 down at Ashmoles earlier on in the Year. when they were still trading, BUT, they took it down to W.G. Davies on the Enterprise Zone, which suprised me, as I thought they did it themselves !!!!!......:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts