Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my 146 passed MOT :D before going in i had front discs and pads changed and changed my rear wheels with front wheels as there is more tread on them. i now have a steering issue. the steering wheel sits slightly to the right when going staight and the car pulls to the right.:confused: what have i done to cause this?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Check your tyre pressures for a start fella then check the condition of the tyres themselves, is one side very worn in comparison to the other etc. I know it may seem odd but are they the same tyre size?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Are the front tyres both the same? ie brand and tyre depth? Is there any possibility that one of the brakes is binding a bit? (Jack it up and spin the wheel to check)

·
Registered
653 Posts
When did you last have your toe-in checked and adjusted? It would be the first thing I'd look at based on what you say. Also worn out wishbone bushings can cause the toe-in to be off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tyre tread are equal on both and same make. i will do the whell test. do you think the tracking may have been affected by replacing break discs ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When did you last have your toe-in checked and adjusted? It would be the first thing I'd look at based on what you say. Also worn out wishbone bushings can cause the toe-in to be off.
whats toe-in and how do you adjust it? both wishbones were changed last year.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Toe in is how much the front wheels point inwards. Too much toe in causes outer edge tyre wear. Uneven toe in causes uneven wear. It is adjusted at the track rod ends, and would normally need to be done if you change the wishbones (or hit a kerb!)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
How many miles have your new brakes done? I would leave it for 200 miles of decent brake use and then review the problem again. I just changed my front pads and discs on the 306 and that was pulling all over the place for the first 20 odd miles, iv done 200 miles now and its nice and balanced.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Put some more miles under your belt fella.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:thumbs: went for drive and now steering is as staight as an arrow. (ps after reading many post on MOT failiers cant believe mine came through clean. nothing on the advisory note.)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
;)

hth

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
:thumbs: went for drive and now steering is as staight as an arrow. (ps after reading many post on MOT failiers cant believe mine came through clean. nothing on the advisory note.)
Same as mine last year, then the head gasket blew big time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts