Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My car (147 1.6 2002) was MOT'd in September and the following items were advisory items to be done. Now listening to the creaks, groans and moans as my car goes over the cobbled road to work. I think these will now actually need done. Anyone got any idea on cost to get these done? I think the Wishbones may also be needing down. I have no mechanical skill, so it will be the garage for me. I am based in Scotland.

nearside front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
nearside front upper Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
offside front upper Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
nearside front lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
offside front lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Both upper wishbones, both lower wishbones, and you might as well get both ARB droplinks done a the same time...

Few hours labour each side for fitting... Wishbones it's worth going for Genuine/TRW parts, as cheaper ones tend to wear out quickly... so thats £264 for all the arms from Alfaworkshop Alfa Romeo 147 Wishbones front

Droplinks you can go OEM, or there are some good heavy duty ones from Meyle that are a good price - I think you can get these from Alfitsi.net

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
For a mechanic who knows what he's doing and has all the gear which, if you're paying a garage to do it, one would hope he has, I'd say no more than 3 hours labour.

As for the price of the parts, are you supplying them or leaving it to the garage to source? If it's the latter I'd check what make they're intending to fit and how much they're going to cost.

You could get a decent Birth set for around £140 delivered from this Italian eBay seller, or you could go for TRW and expect to pay around £300 or genuine Alfa if you're really flush, be upwards of £400.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I'd guess around £400 bill from a garage for the listed parts and labour. However, you'll need to add £60 for the ticket and there are plenty of other things to fail an mot on as well. Get the fail sheet for the mot before you shell out on a new front suspension.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I'd guess around £400 bill from a garage for the listed parts and labour. However, you'll need to add £60 for the ticket and there are plenty of other things to fail an mot on as well. Get the fail sheet for the mot before you shell out on a new front suspension.
Good idea - retests are free within 10 days if the garage that failed it does the work to put it right..

You're paying for the MOT test anyway, so might as well get all the bad stuff sorted in one hit...

and who knows, it might still scrape through with all the knocks and squeaks :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The MOT isn't due until September, the car passed it's last MOT and the test station said apart from the advisories the car is in excellent condition. They advised if the advisories are taken care of there is no reason it won't pass MOT's for many years to come (if tyres, bulbs etc.. are all ok).

The only other slight factor is the timing belt is now on 40,000 miles also, so it's a case of which do I do first! As I can't afford both in one hit! Its a tough one - pay to get timing belt done and drive a potentially dangerous car for a month or pay for the advisories and risk the timing belt going!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
If it settles your mind, they start making a racket a long time before they're dangerous.. and the last MOT only states slight play..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The MOT isn't due until September, the car passed it's last MOT and the test station said apart from the advisories the car is in excellent condition. They advised if the advisories are taken care of there is no reason it won't pass MOT's for many years to come (if tyres, bulbs etc.. are all ok).

The only other slight factor is the timing belt is now on 40,000 miles also, so it's a case of which do I do first! As I can't afford both in one hit! Its a tough one - pay to get timing belt done and drive a potentially dangerous car for a month or pay for the advisories and risk the timing belt going!
Do the timing belt. Seriously.

Reactions: joeymannero

·
Registered
780 Posts
Do the timing belt first. No point fixing the suspension if your engine is knackered!

The suspension work shouldn't be too critical so I wouldn't worry too much. Get the belts done first, the sort the advisories.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Also ARB is not an mot item, no matter how poor your bushes the ARB should never be a failure.

I'm having a go at my 156 uppers and lowers soon, check out alfaworkshops guides if you fancy having a crack.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
On a 2002 car I'd think twice about doing the timing belt when there is a degree of uncertainty about the likely hood of the car passing an mot.
If your timing belt goes in the time between now and September remember you can always replace your 147 for something of equal quality for about £1000 probably with 12months mot.
No Alfa is going to make financial sense but it can be sensible to have a plan to move on.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
On a 2002 car I'd think twice about doing the timing belt when there is a degree of uncertainty about the likely hood of the car passing an mot.
If your timing belt goes in the time between now and September remember you can always replace your 147 for something of equal quality for about £1000 probably with 12months mot.
No Alfa is going to make financial sense but it can be sensible to have a plan to move on.
Yes one way of looking at it. But a £1000 car you know inside-out is worth more than a new car for £1000. Those items were only advisory, they may still be advisory. I guess what I'm assuming is that if andytroon is considering front end suspension work he is looking at keeping the car for a bit.

·
Registered
780 Posts
As Shimmery rightfully pointed out. You run this risk of going from a car that, as stated in the OP, seems to be in excellent health with the exception of some play in the front suspension to potentially getting a car that even MOT'd, may still have a number of niggles and issues etc. which will still cost money to repair. Not to mention that there is no guarantee that any car he bought wouldn't need the cambelt done 6 or 12 months down the line. All he would be doing is shifting the problem and there is still plenty of time until September to save up and get the cambelt and suspension sorted.

At least the OP knows his car and there is no point letting a perfectly good car go to waste because of some pretty straight forward maintenance items. Any car of that sort of age and mileage will probably need some sort of suspension work done so I don't think your suggestion really makes much sense imo. Why swap a known quantity for an unknown? So to speak.

And I also agree that its still possible that the advisories could remain as advisories at the next MOT. It's not like his wheels are going to randomly fall off or anything. So there is still a chance OP could just get the cambelt done, send the car in for MOT in September and pass. Or worse case, have the funds ready so that if it fails, he addresses the advisories and gets it MOT'd pretty much immediately.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Yes one way of looking at it. But a £1000 car you know inside-out is worth more than a new car for £1000. Those items were only advisory, they may still be advisory. I guess what I'm assuming is that if andytroon is considering front end suspension work he is looking at keeping the car for a bit.
As Shimmery rightfully pointed out. You run this risk of going from a car that, as stated in the OP, seems to be in excellent health with the exception of some play in the front suspension to potentially getting a car that even MOT'd, may still have a number of niggles and issues etc. which will still cost money to repair. Not to mention that there is no guarantee that any car he bought wouldn't need the cambelt done 6 or 12 months down the line. All he would be doing is shifting the problem and there is still plenty of time until September to save up and get the cambelt and suspension sorted.

At least the OP knows his car and there is no point letting a perfectly good car go to waste because of some pretty straight forward maintenance items. Any car of that sort of age and mileage will probably need some sort of suspension work done so I don't think your suggestion really makes much sense imo. Why swap a known quantity for an unknown? So to speak.

And I also agree that its still possible that the advisories could remain as advisories at the next MOT. It's not like his wheels are going to randomly fall off or anything. So there is still a chance OP could just get the cambelt done, send the car in for MOT in September and pass. Or worse case, have the funds ready so that if it fails, he addresses the advisories and gets it MOT'd pretty much immediately.
Totally agree with the better the devil you know approach and of course we all love our cars. My point is that sometimes it can be sensible to walk away. The mot can always surprise: so it's sensible to wait for a 12 month ticket prior to spending up to £800 on servicing (belts and new suspension).
Basically it's; "better the devil you know" vs "good money after bad". Having an mot fail sheet helps you choose. So wait till September.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Lots of crashing and banging from my 147's front suspension so before last MOT I bought in the new parts, waiting to be told which needed changing.....and it duly passed........

So I'll go with getting your cambelt done first, too......

Can recommend CM garage in East Kilbride as a well-known Alfa indie if you are looking for someone to do the work :)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
You can always put it in early for a few quid to see what it might fail on. For the cost of about 35 then you know.

Then you can decide.

Might even pass and then you have even longer to woery about it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts