Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Well, I just got my GT back from the MOT station and it failed. On 7 things!
Most of them are easy to fix (new tyres etc.) But the ones I need advice on are:
Nearside front upper radius arm has excessive play in a bush.... now is this easy to replace myself?!

Next is Offside rear brake binding
This goes with Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort. What could be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!!

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links!

I changed the upper left wishbone today, and even though it's not as bad as it was, there is still a loud clunking noise every time I go over a bump.
Could this be caused by the lower wishbone?

G

·
Thanks for the links!

I changed the upper left wishbone today, and even though it's not as bad as it was, there is still a loud clunking noise every time I go over a bump.
Could this be caused by the lower wishbone?
If it's recently gone through the mot then if there was enough play in the bottom wishbone to cause a clunk, that would have failed during the test, so stands to reason it isn't that causing the noise.... Anti roll bar bushes and/ or anti roll bar drop links will. Bear in mind that they aren't a load bearing component on the suspension so play and knocking isn't a failure on these items during an mot.;)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
as grahameo pointed out the drop link would be my guess, if the long bolt and ball joint are nipped up tight and then it points to drop links, some need a allen key in the end as you tighten, some need a thin spanner on the back.......ARB rattles when bushes have gone :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The easiest way to check if the antirollbar bushes have gone is to remove one drop link and go for a drive if the noise has stopped its the antirollbar bushes.When they have even modest wear the banging can be annoying, almost as annoying is the fitting proceedure.

G

·
The easiest way to check if the antirollbar bushes have gone is to remove one drop link and go for a drive if the noise has stopped its the antirollbar bushes.When they have even modest wear the banging can be annoying, almost as annoying is the fitting proceedure.
There is that method but still flawed in eliminating one or the other.
Once you disconnect the drop links, you eliminate them rattling too as they aren't under tension so no longer can a worn ball joint rattle either... So you are still left with two possibilities.

Thankfully though a pry bar against the AR bar and the bottom drop link ball joint while holding the top drop link can usually give and indication if there is a click felt lifting it up and down with the pry bar.
No play?
Then disconnect them, if the rattle is still there.... It is definitely the bushes then.
Especially if you can grab the AR bar and pull it towards you and push it away laterally with mild pressure.

One last thing to consider before rushing out to but new bushes.
If you can do that, it may be worth changing the AR bar with the bushes complete... The paint and metal below the bush has worn enough so just fitting new bushes would only alleviate the rattle symptoms for a week or two until it returns with vengeance, so false economy given the difficulty in replacing them when it takes slightly less effort to replace the bar with new brackets and bushes.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts