Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 1998 146ti failed its MOT on indicator lens broken (even though it has secoindary lens inside...), rear brake caliper (handbrake one, cant remember if thats offside or nearside, bugger.), and it failed on emissions - lambda sensor?

i found an indicator lens on ebay for a few quid so thats not a big deal, but dont know where to get brake caliper or lambda sensor from without getting ripped off at the main alfa romeo stealer.

any ideas???

cheers

·
Registered
16,710 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary, just had a look, they don't stock 146 calipers and OMG how much is a lambda sensor??!!! I thought it would cost about £10!!! How wrong am I!!?!?!??!!??!?

....why oh why didnt I buy another Honda?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've just ordered some stuff from: http://www.ebspares.co.uk/about.htm
You "takes your choice, then pays your money", either enjoy horrendous depreciation of a younger car or spend a bit at MOT time! Really that doesn't sound so bad. If a caliper is that expensive or that difficult to get, I reckon you'd 'persuade' it thro' by stripping and rebuilding it. Make sure it's not the handbrake cables and their adjustment that's the problem first, and make sure the operating lever on the inboard end of the claiper is nice and free.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree with Wrenched.
I guess the fail was on parking brake performance rather than a fluid leak from the caliper?
If you free it off/check it using his suggestions you won't have to disconnect the brake hose and handbrake, and then bleed the brakes so it is easier to revive a caliper than to replace it.
Also get the pads out, wind the piston in and pump it out again a few times to free things off. Clean the rust from the pad guides and put some copper grease on them avoiding the friction material. I also have a go with the brake cleaner spray to make sure everything's clean.

To fight the emissions issue there are a few things to try.
One is to get the car really warmed up properly before dropping it off. I believe it's called an "Italian tune-up"
You can also use injector cleaner in the petrol which is the technique my MOT tester uses to get borderline cases to pass.
The Lambda sensor would be the thing to correct a non-borderline fail.
Aftermarket ones are available off eBay for around £20 but you have to join the wires yourself (by soldering them preferably).
The catalytic converter is sometimes suggested as a cure but I haven't seen anything conclusive either way on this. HTH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Honda probably wouldn't be that much cheaper to be honest.
Ah but my 1993 Prelude went through the last 4 MOTs and needed a total of £93 spending on it! £40 of which was labour charges! Honda parts are not the cheapest but they do not seem to need as much repairing as Alfas - I guess it could be said the constant fixing of Alfas is part of their charm but I just cant afford the time or the money!!

Thanks everyone for your advice, I will try to fix the caliper before replacing it.

So are universal Lambda sensors as effective as original equipment?

A

·
0 Posts
Adam ,bad luck on the failure. I've used the universal sensors and they definitely worked just as well as far as getting through the test was concerned.As for their performance generally, all I can say is that nothing seemed any different with the car. So if money is tight I would go for it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts