S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
The car failed it,s mot today on,
N/s front wishbone(balljoint)
Brake discs all round
Hand brake cable(i think)n/s performance low,siezed?
Emissions too high.

I,ve priced the parts from my local motor factors.
Wishbone-45 or 53+vat depending on the type.
Front discs 23+vat each
Rear discs 12+vat each
Rear pads 16.90+vat
Handbrake cable 10.68 or 15.75 depending on which one i need.
I fitted new front pads 2-3 weeks ago so hopefully i,ll not have to fit new ones.
The mot tester needs to see the registration document cause the computer that tests the emissions says that there is no 92 155 it starts at 93 so he tested it as a 93 but if i can prove it,s a 92 it,ll pass the test.
So do you think this is a good price for these bits or are they cheap crap.Does anyone know any other places to try. :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to here it Shug.
I think the wishbones can be bought from AO for about £35. The discs I think your price is what Jason77 paid for his.

Good news about the Cat/Emissions though :D

Marlon

PS....how's the beige banger ???

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO NO NO the tester should have just done a basic emmisions test if it wasnt on the computer.!! brake discs.?? they must be bad to fail, you could just clean them all up that should do.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The handbrake performance could be down to a siezed caliper, what was the brake test like?

Mine was dodgy on the caliper too!!

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, if it is the handbrake and you find a cure......Please let me know, mine is driving me mad!!! wink

cheers, wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WRINX i told you all how to fix the calipers but nobody seems to have listened. :mad:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I listened and did it JB, but it didnee work. The pistons were shiny and free. Can't see anything wrong with the handbrake either :confused:

wrinx

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had a seized rear caliper recently. Is this a common fault :confused:
It symptom was a hum from the rear brakes when I had almost come to a stop.
While it was being fixed I had the joy of driving an astray (with a binary throtle, off and slightly less than off :mad: ) It was so good to get back into a car.

Ian.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I`ve found brake discs to wear/score pretty quickly so I`m not surprised this is a failure item. I don`t think I could have cleaned up the ones that I was failed on! They looked like crap :rolleyes:

Handbrake cable trouble is also common. It may be a rear caliper but personally I have had a number of problems where the cables stretch and become ineffective. I got suspicious when the cables lasted only 6 months. I found that the adjustment of the cable (at the handbrake) was very high and still was not pulling the brakes on enough. I loosened this adjuster off as much as possible, ran the engine and pumped the brakes and then retightened. This took up slack in the rear caliper adjustment (?) and so when I retightened the handbrake adjuster the hadbrake was now nice and tight! The moral is that the handbrake adjustment seems to get tightened all of the time by garages/yourself and if its overdone then it makes the handbrake poor.
Try the above and see what happens - its easy, the differenec could be dramatic and it may save you money!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the fix for the dodgy caliper JimmyBob told us about?

I have a squeaky front caliper and I dismantled the pins and lubed it all back up (including the back of the pads) and it still does it.

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ralf

The fix was for the rear calipers, and basically involved carefully pumping the piston in and out a few times and cleaning it with fine abrasive. Can't remember if there was any more................JB?

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anytime I have repaired brake calipers this way I have just cleaned the piston with a clean rag and if it really dirty a bit of autosol. I then lube the piston and seals with a special brake assembly grease called rubberlube made by Lockheed. This should be available from any good motor factor. I jave found that if I don't lube the piston then it sticks just as bad or worse than before.

Colin.
ps Don't use rubberlude for any other personal objects/pleasures! eek!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the first fix i posted was a bit basic you may need to do a complete strip down, if somebody has an old caliper send it to me and i'll do a step by step rebuild and take photos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts