Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Hi guys, car went in for MOT yesterday. Unfortunatly failed on 3 points.

1. Offisde front tyre has a bulge.
2. Offside front headlamp aim too low
3.Nearside front headlamp not in good working order adversely affecting beam image.

First one easy just got new tyre but i have no clue about the other two i had a long look at all my lights and there all working unsure whether i need to replace the whole headlamp unit or just need to change bulb as he said that point two is down to the bulb being upside down.

Any help would be great :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
2) adjust the headlight...
3) make sure the bulb is seated properly and is the correct way up.

Most MOT places would have adjusted the headlights for you.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
2) adjust the headlight...
3) make sure the bulb is seated properly and is the correct way up.

Most MOT places would have adjusted the headlights for you.
As above. Also check that your bulbs are good quality. I've found some of the cheaper examples will alter the aim significantly as the filament is not correctly placed.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Mine failed MOT as the beam pattern was not correct. It was corrected by simply replacing the bulb. But it still cost £50 quid by having to have a second MOT as the first place werent interested in looking at it. Not very helpful.
Thats a helpfull garage you took it to Mr D:rolleyes:

They should have given you a free retest shouldnt they or have they stopped doing that now?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
They should have given you a free retest shouldnt they or have they stopped doing that now?
I was searching for the fees while you were posting that!

It used to be a free retest if the MOT garage fixed it without you taking it away, or something like a £10 fee if you took it away then returned within a set time for a retest.

Can't find any referance to that now though, just the £53 fee.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Copied from website:
http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-retest.html

After failure, fees for re-examination vary according to the following circumstances:

If your vehicle is left with the Testing Station for repair and re-examination – NO FEE

If the vehicle is taken away from the Testing Station and returns for re-examination on other than one or more of the items listed below, then only the failed item (including any other items affected by the execution of the repair) needs to be examined by the MOT Tester, for which the Testing Station may charge (up to), half the full Test fee. Whilst this fee cannot be exceeded, the Tester may, at his or her discretion conduct a full re-inspection if at the Tester’s discretion it is deemed necessary.

But it goes into more detail so have a look.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
That does say "Updated May 2007", so could be well out of date.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Wouldnt surprise me if they charged the full amount again :rolleyes: robbin basturds :mad: So like the case of Mr Dunnamis who is a blummin nice chap (and so is his mrs) whos car failed on a stupid thing that is easily rectified they fail it and get an extra £50? :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts