Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the 155 2L TS 8V for 2 years, it has just failed the mot on a brake pipe and emmissions,
As i am new to the alfa I wondered if there was anywhere obvious I should look before looking at the little things,
I have changed the plugs and leads recently, reconditioned the starter motor, reconditioned the wiper motor but that is all since it passed last year, don't know if i might have disturbed something or if something has just failed,
CO is 8.12%
HC is 348 ppm
Lambda is 0.79

Help!!!!!!!

The only thing I can see that isn,t working on the car is the oil pressure gauge on the dash

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to mention, is,t been parked up since Nov since I sorned it, just been started once a week then driven to garage for MOT

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
You probably have a load of clag in the catalyst. I would take it for a good long run, to burn out all the rubbish and to wake the whole system up. You don't need to rev the nuts off it (as some will no doubt suggest! :D ) but make sure teh beast has got well warmed through. 20 - 30 miles is good.

If the cat' has taken offence at being left sitting in the cold/dark with just rich-burnt petrol byproducts and condensation for company, it mayhave been damaged and no-longer doing cat' things. You may need to look at a replacement catalyst.

Also maybe likely is the lambda probe. The beast doesn't like sitting unused for long either, especially if the engine is running rich (cold-starts). Again it may have got the hump/corroded. At least these are easier/cheaper to change than a cat'..

Normally if the lambada' is knacked you also get a lumpy idle etc. so you can tell if the lambada or the cat'. Thegood thing about cat' is that once the rubbish on the platinum bits has been burnt off, the beast is back to normal, so persevere a bit before you rush out and buy a new one.

Brake pipes will all be on their way to Boot Hill by now and genuine AR parts are getting like rocking horse poo. But you can get copper pipes made up to replace the offending ones.

All the pipes going in to the calipers will be the worst affected.. but check the lines that run to the rear calipers too..under the front bulkhead where they bend round under the floor is well-placed to get shot-blasted by the front n/s wheel.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot, looks like this weekend will be a busy one, I will let you know the outcome as soon as, many thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had to have a rear nearside brake pipe replaced for my last MOT; not because it was corroded but because the exhaust was rubbing against it. It hardly showed, but was enough for a fail (and probably a good thing it was spotted). Check where it passes near the joint to the tailbox.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
changed the lambda,
checked the exhaust,
put on k and n panel filter,
been all through all connections under bonnet,
changed plugs and leads and one coil,
still a little bit high
giving it a blow on sat and take it back in on mon,
fingers crossed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PASSED, PASSED , PASSED
£20 of super unleaded, with added injector cleaner,
70 miles in 4th gear on motorway with revs high then straight to testing station,
No problem,

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP, SHE LIVES FOR ANOTHER YEAR,

PETE :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That has been a good day all round, been right through the car clearing a few little bits,
elec sunroof,
elec boot release
etc etc
the only thing i got to find now is an oil pressure sender unit as it gerfunked, no readings at all on multi meter
oh well not bad for a beginner and an old 155 with 12K on it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts