Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Had the GTV go for its first MOT since I've owned it and.....it failed :biglaugh:
I was expecting a fail on one thing but there are some others that I wasn't expecting!

The list is:
Parking brake - efficiency is below requirements
Parking brake lever has no reserve travel
ABS System wiring excessively damage offside front (Bracket broken)
Steering rack gaiter split offside
Windscreen wiper does not clear windscreen effectively
Front CV joint gaiter insecure
Exhaust has major leak of exhaust gases front

The exhaust leak I was expecting so I put it through to see what else needed doing!
I'm a bit worried about the parking brake, don't know what no reserve travel means? The garage said that could be the rear calipers as the cable is free. The ABS wiring is also a concern, don't know if that means a new bracket or new wiring!

I'm going to order a new exhaust front pipe as well as some wipers. Any idea where I can get steering rack gaiters from and should I replace both sides?
Thanks

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
The "no reserve travel" could be the lever in the car hitting its end stop, but could also mean the small levers on the calipers doing the same.

If there is plenty of meat on the rear pads & discs, it may just need the pistons wound in and reset. Then make sure you push the pistons into their running position with the footbrake BEFORE using the handbrake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've replaced the wipers today but I realise now that the problem is with the wiper arm!

The drivers side arm doesn't ping back onto the windscreen when you let go of it. So it's not pressing the wiper against the windscreen!

Any idea what I can do to free it up, or do I have to replace the arm? And also the drivers wiper is not squirting screen wash but the passenger side is??
Thanks

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Wiper arm is probably the spring having gone weak - best to replace the arm - if you get stuck I can probably find a second-hand one. Washer probably just needs cleaning out with something like a thin bit of wire.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the offer, I think I might have fixed it! Both the springs seemed to be intact so I liberally doused it in wd40 and that seems to have freed it up!

Also I've noticed that one of the plastic washer jets that poke out of the scuttle is broken. That's why there is no fluid coming out the drivers wiper!

Any idea what they're called and where I could get one from?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also I've noticed that one of the plastic washer jets that poke out of the scuttle is broken. That's why there is no fluid coming out the drivers wiper!

Any idea what they're called and where I could get one from?
Had the same problem, enquired to the main Alfa dealer last week, they told me they are no longer available new, so its off to a breakers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for that Richard but that not what I need. I've got the spray bar on the wipers and the tubing.

It's the little plastic jet that comes out of the plastic scuttle below the windscreen that's broken!

I'll try and put a pic up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No problem, away from home so unsure of the part you need, will have a look later this week and get back if I can help or offer any suggestions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate that Richard. Sorry it's taken so long to put the picture up, been a busy week!

As you can see the drivers side one has broken but the passenger side is fine. I've no idea why the scuttle on the drivers side is discoloured but that's something else to sort out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts