Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all really. Wife's Leon failed

However last year, the year before, the year before and so on all passed. The plates were supplied as legal 3D font.

Apparently the ANPR systems are not recognising sufficient number plates to check the Road Tax !

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
There was an MOT manual update in ( I think ) October 2010. It stated that 3D, Carbon effect were OK as long as they appear predominantly black from a specified distance ( can't remember the actual value ).

The rules may have changed, but I doubt if they can be retrospective.

'll see if I can find the document ...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was an MOT manual update in ( I think ) October 2010. It stated that 3D, Carbon effect were OK as long as they appear predominantly black from a specified distance ( can't remember the actual value ).

The rules may have changed, but I doubt if they can be retrospective.

'll see if I can find the document ...
Don't go to any trouble on my park pkr - but thanks for the offer.

The garage could have been picky on the wipers if they had wanted so I don't think it is simply an excuse to fail! (cynical aren't I :D )

·
Registered
15,850 Posts
There's a specific note in the 2015 manual to say they allowed.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Don't go to any trouble on my park pkr - but thanks for the offer.
No trouble, I have a copy as I had a similar issue a number of years ago and I keep it handy!

The update states -

Three-dimensional characters may use grey edging or a chequered, carbon fibre effect. These and some other style characters are permissible provided the font style is adhered to and when viewed from approximately 20 metres the characters appear predominantly black.
The document is 'MOT Special Notice', Issue number 3-2010 and dated May 2010.

The relevant paragraph is section 6.3.

Document ( direct link to PDF ) : www.motuk.co.uk/images/Special Notice 03-10.pdf

·
Registered
15,850 Posts
Don't think it is DD. It's only if the yellow/white part or the letters themselves have text on them.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Just as well i came across this thread, MOT due this month and mine are an instant fail as it has a manufacture badge on the plate.
View attachment 615786
When they changed the number plates here and removed the department number
they added another area on the RHS for that, but I think you can basically put anything.

The LHS remains the country ID region so I can't see how that can be
allowed to be anything else.

D

·
0 Posts
Don't think it is DD. It's only if the yellow/white part or the letters themselves have text on them.
When they changed the number plates here and removed the department number
they added another area on the RHS for that, but I think you can basically put anything.

The LHS remains the country ID region so I can't see how that can be
allowed to be anything else.
I read the MOT regs that was posted earlier and it mentioned no manufacture logos at all....SO confusing. Plus don't reg plates have to have the post code of where the plates were supplied from?

·
Registered
15,850 Posts
I read the MOT regs that was posted earlier and it mentioned no manufacture logos at all....SO confusing. Plus don't reg plates have to have the post code of where the plates were supplied from?
If you buy a plate for use on the road these days it does but the requirement is on the seller I think. There are, however, loads of sellers on ebay who sell plates which are the legal font and layout who dodge the regs by saying they aren't for road use. This brings the added bonus that you don't have to fanny about taking your docs anywhere.

·
Registered
38,706 Posts
I would appeal against the MOT fail, especially if the plates have a BSi number stamped on them.

If a car fails an MOT for a safety issue then that is fair enough, but for such a trivial grey-area matter?

Take it elsewhere in future they sound like jobsworths.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts