Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Took my 156 to have its MOT. No advisories or any issues, except that my headlight washers dont worK????

An MOT fail I believe for the last couple of years.

Not impressed, so down the garage and bumper off however they just wont work. Has anyone had this issue, are they complete units? Costs? Not impressed as I have perfectly good car sitting at the garage with no MOT or tax.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Thought thjis was only relevant for hid headlamps

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Only an MOT fail if you have HIDs.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Check if there is power at the pump (separate from windscreen washer pump)

If not check the relay and fuse are present and correctly working in the small compartment within the glove box...a lot of people disable the washers by removing the fuse as they are generally useless at cleaning the lamps and waste washer fluid at an alarming rate.

:confused: My 156 passed 2 MOT's with disabled washers...I think the requirement only applies if you have factory xenon headlights, along with the self levelling system?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check if there is power at the pump (separate from windscreen washer pump)

If not check the relay and fuse are present and correctly working in the small compartment within the glove box...a lot of people disable the washers by removing the fuse as they are generally useless at cleaning the lamps and waste washer fluid at an alarming rate.

:confused: My 156 passed 2 MOT's with disabled washers...I think the requirement only applies if you have factory xenon headlights, along with the self levelling system?
One occasionally pops up and stays up which then causes the water bottle to empty as the water trickles out over night,

S

·
0 Posts
You can get to the pump by removing the coolant tank.

Then swap over the pump wiring. It has the same connections as the screen washer. If it then works , it's the fuse or wiring. If not, the motor is stuffed.

Be aware, if the headlight washers haven't worked in a long time and you get them working, the anti-dribble valve in the middle of the bumper will fail shortly after. Best replaced when the bumper is off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get to the pump by removing the coolant tank.

Then swap over the pump wiring. It has the same connections as the screen washer. If it then works , it's the fuse or wiring. If not, the motor is stuffed.

Be aware, if the headlight washers haven't worked in a long time and you get them working, the anti-dribble valve in the middle of the bumper will fail shortly after. Best replaced when the bumper is off.
I will try that.

Where would I find a motor if thats the issue.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
I will try that.

Where would I find a motor if thats the issue.
Pumps are on the washer bottle.

Edit: sorry, where would you find a new one. Alfa parts dept for an OEM one.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I've just replaced both my H/L washers (sprinkles) p/n 71737887 (£43.90) after one decided to leak big time. Not cheap, but as you know are needed for the MoT; after which the fuse gets pulled :D

I have one good one if it helps. The failed one leaks past the seal.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
... and the timer relay while you're there.
Is the timer supposed to delay the H/L washers or the windscreen washers? Mine seems to do the latter.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Is the timer supposed to delay the H/L washers or the windscreen washers? Mine seems to do the latter.
It doesn't "delay" anything.
The headlight washers run with the screen washers when the headlights are on.
The timer relay means the headlight washers only run for a given amount of time.

The VW/Audi system is better in that the headlight pump only runs when you hold the screen wash on for a long time. So you have to make an effort to make it run.

S

·
0 Posts
The Alfa timer relays are common failures in the system. A land rover part is a direct fit, and being land rover, any year washer tuner relay will do.

Mine has a LR relay from a breaker which was about £4 plus a few in P and P.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
The Alfa timer relays are common failures in the system. A land rover part is a direct fit, and being land rover, any year washer tuner relay will do.

Mine has a LR relay from a breaker which was about £4 plus a few in P and P.
I've got one of those too, but never got round to fitting it.
I think the same relay is also used in Porsche 993, but less of those in breakers!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I have headlight washers and would like to get rid as they are ugly and useless. What would I need to do? Pull the fuse, get replacement plastic trims without washers? Would I need to do anything else?

S

·
0 Posts
Done properly, you need to change the bumper for one without holes. Then pull the fuse or relay for the washers and plug the hoses when the washers are removed from the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts