Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please :(

My V6 exhaust is blowing at the joint between the downpipe of the front bank of cylinders and the main pipe.

No local exhaust company will touch it. I was going to wait until i get the clutch done in a few months time as i will get the engine dropped anyway.

My question is ' will it fail an MOT test because of this? '

Thanks.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The answer is 'it depends'! It depends how badly it's blowing. If it's only slight then they'll probably let it go (mine is blowing slightly and passed) but if it's bad they'll fail it on safety grounds because of possible ingress of fumes to the cabin.

Find an 'understanding' MoT station and you'll probably be OK.

Ian

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ian Spring:
but if it's bad they'll fail it on safety grounds because of possible ingress of fumes to the cabin.
this is not part of the test you can kill yourself for all i care(sorry.!!)but as long as i doesnt affect the emmissions and it isnt hanging off or barking like a wounded dog its ok.
if you have a cat the chances are it will fail.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
as long as its not blowing too much should be no reason why it shouldnt pass have you tried tightening bolts worked for me :D wink did clutch on my v6 not long ago and didnt have to drop engine :confused: but bolt behind starter is a bugger to get out lots of shouting n swearinghave fun :D :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
jimybob:
Ian Spring:
but if it's bad they'll fail it on safety grounds because of possible ingress of fumes to the cabin.
this is not part of the test you can kill yourself for all i care(sorry.!!)but as long as i doesnt affect the emmissions and it isnt hanging off or barking like a wounded dog its ok.
if you have a cat the chances are it will fail.
Hey, JB, I do like your positive outlook on life!

However, the MOT test states the following;

Exhaust System

Complete, secure, without serious leaks and silences effectively.

So, if it really is a tiny leak, you should be ok, but basically, the only place emissions should come from is the back of the car, outside of the line of the bodywork. Your car can fail if the exhaust does not protude past your new funky rear bumper spoiler, for instance. You could try giving the joint bolts an extra nip up, or a bit of exhaust tape around the joint with some exhaust filler etc. Basically the tester is looking for serious corrosion on the exhaust or mounts, and for all the fumes to come out of the back. As long as your exhaust is not hanging off at the joint, the tester won't care how it's repaired.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Henry Yorkes car once failed for the exhaust being too low !!!
Must have been a safety point incase he burned the person he had just run over.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for those of you who dont know i am an MOT TESTER i will copy the exact words from the manual because the web site listed doesnt tell the whole story.....and if the reason for rejection is not in the manual you canot fail it...ie you cant fail the exhaust for being to low if the manual doesnt say its a reason for rejection..and it must almost be word for word.!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

hope you can read this.......if its not written here then you cant fail for it. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts