Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My usual mechanic was on holiday, so took the car somewhere for its MOT. Failed on a load of stuff and they didn't want to do it, so took it back to my guy who was back from holiday. He said, "get it tested by my guy" so I did and it failed on more stuff than the last one. Now, one of the bits I need is going to take two weeks to arrive, so it'll not be fixed in time for the ten day window, so I'm going to have spent £150 on ****ing MOTs on top of everything else it's going to cost to fix the ****ing thing.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I thought that as long as you left the car with the garage during the period that the part takes to turn up this can be negated somehow??

K

·
0 Posts
My MoT place only charges £35 for a test and still does free re-tests even if you take it away following a fail. The £47 charge is the maxiumum but there's nothing to stop them charging less if they want to. In this case, the issue is that following the first fail, BN has had it tested at another place so has paid for 2 tests and won't get it fixed within the 2 week period to qualify for a free/reduced price re-test, hence the £150.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
What a bu99er, BN! :(

A few years back, before she got her 147, my 'good lady' had her SEAT fail for corrosion on the inner sill where the lower seatbelt mounting was located, but the garage said they could fix it for about £100. When we went back to collect it a few days later, it had failed again because "somebody's welded the sill but they've not undersealed it properly so it will corrode to a dangerous extent before the next test" ........ Admittedly it was a different tester that day, and the 'confusion' was eventually resolved, but still WTF! :rant:

....... The £47 charge is the maxiumum.......
And the fee is now £54, :(.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I was about to add it was more now. My hubby is a mot tester and they are an independent garage. Even if I wasn't married to him, I would only ever use an mot station NOT attached to a garage.

I was under the assumption that if it was left at the place it was tested at that it should be free retest and the garage I used to work at if we had a car that was over the period we would pay the fee ( traders pay less anyway) As a good will gesture to the customer.

K

·
0 Posts
What a bu99er, BN! :(

A few years back, before she got her 147, my 'good lady' had her SEAT fail for corrosion on the inner sill where the lower seatbelt mounting was located, but the garage said they could fix it for about £100. When we went back to collect it a few days later, it had failed again because "somebody's welded the sill but they've not undersealed it properly so it will corrode to a dangerous extent before the next test" ........ Admittedly it was a different tester that day, and the 'confusion' was eventually resolved, but still WTF! :rant:

And the fee is now £54, :(.
That's ridiculous. It's not unknown for them to have a hissy fit because you have undersealed a repair because they can't see if it's been done properly.

There are surprising numbers of testers who completely fail to RTFM which I'm 99.9% certain makes no reference to underseal being necessary to pass the test.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I showed this thread to my hubby. He said that was rubbish and ask them to ring vosa and have this clarified as he says the worst thing is people that just underseal "repairs" and they haven't actually done it and they are not meant to remove anything.

There are some new cars that the whole floor panel is covered and they are not allowed to remove it to test it. It does seem very very silly.

My worst thing with mot was I bought car with full mot and when I got it on the ramps half the floor caved in when pushed.( something I couldn't check before bringing it home) I had the garage completely fix the car for me or I would have called vosa to show them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts