Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today is MOT day. and for the first time since I have owned the car (3rd MOT) it passed first time, but there are a couple of advisories.
There's is a small hole but not a tear in the front left CV joint Boot , so they have advised to change both of these - garage have said this would cost 172 quid
Also the both rear brake discs are worn and pitted so replace these with new brake pads - cost 288 quid.

so can anyone tell me roughly how much I should be paying for this work to be done, would go to an independent garage.lol

thanks for any replies

Ian

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
£288 for rear discs and pads...lol. Were they made of gold? I asume that was parts and labour...but even so. My OE spec rear discs and pads cost me £78...it was a simple DIY to fit them. About 90 mins tops ...and I cleaned and polished all the mating surface...used red rubber grease and silicone brake grease. I do own a set of piston rewind tools admittedly...but even they are not expensive.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Did you take it to a national chain - somewhere like Halfrauds?

Not the rears, but when I had the front discs & pads done it cost me £77.20 for a pair of Brembo discs (bought from AP Motor Store), and £25.85 for Mintex pads (bought from Camskill). Both include carriage.
I then took them to my local mechanic to fit - £40 + VAT.
Grand total = £151.05.

I'm guessing rears will be even cheaper than this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you take it to a national chain - somewhere like Halfrauds?

Not the rears, but when I had the front discs & pads done it cost me £77.20 for a pair of Brembo discs (bought from AP Motor Store), and £25.85 for Mintex pads (bought from Camskill). Both include carriage.
I then took them to my local mechanic to fit - £40 + VAT.
Grand total = £151.05.

I'm guessing rears will be even cheaper than this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as i thougfht it was expensive, so independent mechanic it is, now to find one in the town where I live(Clydebank just outside Glasgow) guess trial and error is the order of the day

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Try and get a good referral from family, friends, work colleagues etc rather than picking a random mechanic.
Once you find someone you trust, stick with him until he retires. It's what I've been doing for over 20 years now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Autolusso charge £210 for the rears, £240 for the front...sounds like this is probably a bit OTT based on the above?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts