Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taxed the broken Gtv and found the advisory notice that was attached to the Mot certificate. It says:

Measurements:
Brake advisories: RBT Front Brake Imbalance: 25%

Advisory items
Front Brakes only just met the Front Brakes Imbalance requirements. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair [3.7.A.2d]

I'm confused by what the Front Brake imbalance might be. Over to you good citizens of AO.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Probably sticky pads or piston as above but there is also the chance that it is air inthe system and it needs bleeding. It does need sorting as an emergency stop could have you doing a nice spin or pulling into the other lane.

Typical of cars that are stood around for a while or getting a few years under their belt.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I did say your disks looked like they were worn bud, and the fluid was in need of a change too (it was black)

You could always refurb the calipers yourself :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
someone wouldnt be good enough to do a "how to" on this refurbing would they..................... one of my to do jobs

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably sticky pads or piston as above but there is also the chance that it is air inthe system and it needs bleeding. It does need sorting as an emergency stop could have you doing a nice spin or pulling into the other lane.

Typical of cars that are stood around for a while or getting a few years under their belt.
Thanks, the car isn't going anywhere for a while though...

I did say your disks looked like they were worn bud, and the fluid was in need of a change too (it was black)

You could always refurb the calipers yourself :thumbs:
The radical one and I bled the brakes after I nearly ended up in your boot but refurbishing (and painting) the calipers could be on the cards.

someone wouldnt be good enough to do a "how to" on this refurbing would they..................... one of my to do jobs
Here you go Brembo Refurb

There is another link somewhere for getting hold of the metal guides......unfortunately this was posted after I did mine
Well since I won't be using the car for a bit, I might try this - my only reservation is how I would stop the brake fluid reservoir from emptying...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you are fitting new brake hoses just clamp the old ones. If keeping the same ones I think you can buy plugs from an auto factors.

Alternatively, if the fluid in the system is old anyway why not just drain the system, do the work and refill with fresh fluid??

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
...Alternatively, if the fluid in the system is old anyway why not just drain the system, do the work and refill with fresh fluid??
Don't let it run out.
The ABS units can be a pain to bleed if you drain the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts