Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,509 Posts
Duffle coat, socks WITH sandals. Matching bum bags with the wife whilst on holiday. Likes folk music. Wife called Mavis.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Can you still buy duffle coats? I remember having one as my winter coat when I was very little. Hood-up, and teamed with wooly mittens and a balaclava on Bonfire Night. I was too young to know any better. Honest!

Never owned a bum bag in my life, but seriously considering one for when I'm cycling to put my phone and keys in.
I have one of those tiny bags that fits below the saddle, but that just about fits a few tools in.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I assume so, I had one a few years back - it didn't see much use before it went to the charity shop.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Can you still buy duffle coats? I remember having one as my winter coat when I was very little. Hood-up, and teamed with wooly mittens and a balaclava on Bonfire Night. I was too young to know any better. Honest!

Never owned a bum bag in my life, but seriously considering one for when I'm cycling to put my phone and keys in.
I have one of those tiny bags that fits below the saddle, but that just about fits a few tools in.
I bet your mittens were joined by a string fed through the sleeves so you would not lose them!

·
Registered
39,138 Posts
“A BMW 3 series - spent £2500 on fixing a blown turbo and then an unknown Engine management light forced him to give up and sell at a massive loss.” A while back I noticed somebody locally had their 3 series delivered to their house on a low-loader then shortly afterwards a BMW 2 series MPV thing appeared and it’s been parked there ever since. Such loyalty.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I don't think the German cars are as bad as the picked statistics suggest. Nonetheless, it looks like if it is a horror to look at, it will be what is termed unreliable. So many of these car are just ugly. What has happened to taste?

I have to admit, I smile whenever I see a broken down Range Rover.

I smile a lot. 🤭

·
Registered
39,608 Posts
Whilst on the subject of VAG stuff, my brother has been having problems with his 1.6 CR Diesel Octavia.

It seems like it may relate to having the emissions fix done.

·
Registered
39,138 Posts
They know a lot of people will chip them after VW has strangled them as a fix. Especially the hundreds of thousands of cars the bought back in the US and quietly resold.

·
Registered
39,608 Posts
That is probably what we will end up doing. Remap and EGR delete.

He is only getting 37mpg average as well which is horrendous for a 1.6 diesel.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't think the German cars are as bad as the picked statistics suggest. Nonetheless, it looks like if it is a horror to look at, it will be what is termed unreliable. So many of these car are just ugly. What has happened to taste?
I think every time Audi update a model it becomes uglier. The present range with their huge grilles are just horrible imho, and BMW seem to be going the same way. A friend has an Audi A6 estate (largely because their enormous dog won't fit in much else) and at night the interior is like being at a funfair there are so many lights, indicators, etc in several different colours. His wife had a Mini (the BMW version) diesel which ended up being scrapped at ten years old because the necessary fix would have been more than the car was worth. I'm not sure of the fault but I think it was in the EGR/DPF or something.

·
Registered
39,138 Posts
Vorsprung durch technic suggests progress but I think before vorsprunging they should prove their ability to do what they are currently doing. I’m not convinced. Not just style but the substance. They are so busy in their own german car world they’ve lost sight of whether nightclub lighting is actually suitable for a car interior.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,036 Posts
I'm not surprised that JLR feature so prominently in that list. Whilst on holiday I met a friend of the people we were staying with. He works for a company in Lincolnshire (IIRC) who do a lot of warranty work for JLR. I cant remember all the details, but he said either they have had to build or take over a new factory or to add additional shifts to cope with the work. One startling fact as part of that work was that they currently had 600 V8 engines in for rebuild.

Like others have said, no Italian (or Polish Italian) cars in that list, lots of cars people will flock to rather than Italian, seeing them to be more reliable.

·
Registered
416 Posts
A friend of said friend has a BMW X1 (I think) which for some inexplicable reason has orange LED interior light strips along the tops of all four doors an inch or two below the window. They are presumably just for decoration as they serve no useful purpose - except perhaps in the dark for warning other traffic behind that the door is open. In which case shouldn't they be red?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I see a fair few Land Rovers at the side of the road...But that might be partly due to their obscene size which stands out a bit more than say a Fiesta with its hazards on!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Vorsprung durch technic suggests progress but I think before vorsprunging they should prove their ability to do what they are currently doing. I’m not convinced. Not just style but the substance. They are so busy in their own german car world they’ve lost sight of whether nightclub lighting is actually suitable for a car interior.
Somewhere (possibly here on AO) someone posted an interior shot of the new/current(?) S-Class taxi ... how anyone might hope to actually notice what is happening on the road around them is a bloody mystery to me. Mercedes are not alone per @cue2 's comment and others.

But most of us here are apparently of another era, one where function more or less managed to maintain a little distance over form/flash.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Somewhere (possibly here on AO) someone posted an interior shot of the new/current(?) S-Class taxi ... how anyone might hope to actually notice what is happening on the road around them is a bloody mystery to me. Mercedes are not alone per @cue2 's comment and others.

But most of us here are apparently of another era, one where function more or less managed to maintain a little distance over form/flash.
T'was I. I got the thread closed because someone turned it into an anti-cycling rant, bizarrely.

Attachments

Reactions: Headloq

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Apparently its nothing like that bright in real life......just a faint background glow. You would not be able to see anything outside when driving at night if your eyes were used to that level of interior light.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Saying new cars are like night clubs inside shows our respective ages I think...

Not that a lot of us have even set foot in a club for decades :ROFLMAO:

I drove a new A Class a few weeks back and found the random neon bits in the cabin frankly odd and couldn't get my head around the digital dials. It wasn't even particularly interesting to drive, the driveability of cars seems to have plateaued in the late 90s. Now it's just digital toys.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Having driven a nearly new M3 and a late C63....and even a BRZ recently.....Id say that does not apply in all cases. All great to drive and even the BRZ was fun....just needs another 50 horses to move from good to great (something the new GR86 has apparently).

21 - 40 of 54 Posts