Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disappointing showing from Jaguar, with only two cars in the top 25. Thank heavens for Land Rover with an impressive showing in the top ten.

The A6 must be an absolute turd.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Surprised to see a couple of Porsches on the list, as people tend to praise their build quality and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39,603 Posts
A lot of "Reliable" Japanese and Korean stuff there, and we all know about VAG's poor reliability.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,494 Posts
I always take those surveys with a pinch of salt. Its just not a like for like comparison. Buy and expensive German car and you will want perfection so every fault is a disaster..buy a cheap car and little faults might not even be reported. Its a case of meeting expectations for the money you paid. LR group being the exception....expensive and rubbish!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Surprised to see a couple of Porsches on the list, as people tend to praise their build quality and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you hand over fistfuls of readies, the willingness to "diss your own ride" seems to be somewhat reduced ... my observation (and specifically with reference to a few Porsche-owning friends of mine).

·
Registered
39,603 Posts
I think they are also skewed against manufacturers who sell lots of cars.

A 1% failure rate on 50,000 cars seems a lot worse than a 5% failure rate on 500 for example.

You actually have to get stuff sold before people can find things wrong with it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think they are also skewed against manufacturers who sell lots of cars.

A 1% failure rate on 50,000 cars seems a lot worse than a 5% failure rate on 500 for example.

You actually have to get stuff sold before people can find things wrong with it.
I wonder how the figures compare when considering direct (private/car allowance) sales versus fleet sales? Admittedly this tends to exclude the prestige 'top end' - I suspect there will not be too many M3s/M4s/Cayennes/Panameras/Veyrons purchased as fleet vehicles (and Porsche certainly are not going to spill the beans on vehicles allocated to staff - a colleague of Mrs.Headloq is attached to a Porsche employee with a Panamera. His comments are perhaps not on the list of opinions authorised for public release by Zuffenhausen).

Would be interesting to see such a comparison for the more bread and butter 3/5 series BMWs, C/E class Mercs etc, Golfs/Passats /and all the rest of course/.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
LR group being the exception....expensive and rubbish!
We have 4 JLR products in the immediate family, (Discovery, XE, XF and XJ), all built within last 6 years, all of them seemingly well built and problem free.

I don't drive one as I can't afford one... Well, I could, I just don't want to pay the price they command.

Disappointing that the one JLR product I would buy - the F Pace, is so unreliable, and this isn't the first time I've heard that

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,494 Posts
My boss has one Range Rover product after the next.....the first few months are inevitably spent going back and forth to the dealer ....there biggest issue seems quality control before they leave the factory. Once all the teething issues have been fixed they are usually averagely ok! He carries on buying them though.....hes very much a BUY BRITISH (no matter how carp it is) when it comes to most of his purchases. Although now he lives in Dorset and commute's 100 miles each way to work hes bought a new Golf GTD as a runaround to keep the miles off the RR (doing 90 to 100 thousand miles in three years meant savage depreciation) and to cut back on the fuel costs.....and so far he loves it....so he's not yet beyond help!

·
Registered
39,603 Posts
My boss has one Range Rover product after the next.....the first few months are inevitably spent going back and forth to the dealer ....there biggest issue seems quality control before they leave the factory. Once all the teething issues have been fixed they are usually averagely ok! He carries on buying them though.....hes very much a BUY BRITISH (no matter how carp it is) when it comes to most of his purchases. Although now he lives in Dorset and commute's 100 miles each way to work hes bought a new Golf GTD as a runaround to keep the miles off the RR (doing 90 to 100 thousand miles in three years meant savage depreciation) and to cut back on the fuel costs.....and so far he loves it....so he's not yet beyond help!
My grandfather was like that. He had a sucession of crap BL cars like Maxi's, Metro, Marina's and a Ballade shape rover 216. All rusty and unreliable. His last car was a Suzuki which was totally trouble free...

There comes a point when you have to do what is right for yourself, even if it isn't buying British. JLR is Indian anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lots of cars I don't like in that list. Lovely jubbly! 😂

I was surprised to see four JLR vehicles there. Again not cars I really like but then I know someone who works for them, and it's kind of his dream job, so that's the version of JLR I know.

I didn't see any Italian cars in that lot.
This afternoon I was underneath the car looking at the exhaust when one of my neighbours walked past with her kids. The boy asked what I was doing and she made a comment, looking quite pleased with herself, about how Alfa make lovely cars but they're always breaking down. I get it whenever the bonnet is up, someone asks me, "what's wrong with it this time" when all I'm doing is something routine like topping up the oil. Usually it's good humoured but today I felt like saying, there's nothing wrong with the car, I'm just looking after it, and as it happens this car has never let me down.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
No Toyota or Honda which I see as the cream of Japanese cars, Nissan went bad years ago when they went in with Renault...

Lots of cars I don't like in that list. Lovely jubbly! 😂

I was surprised to see four JLR vehicles there. Again not cars I really like but then I know someone who works for them, and it's kind of his dream job, so that's the version of JLR I know.

This afternoon I was underneath the car looking at the exhaust when one of my neighbours walked past with her kids. The boy asked what I was doing and she made a comment, looking quite pleased with herself, about how Alfa make lovely cars but they're always breaking down. I get it whenever the bonnet is up, someone asks me, "what's wrong with it this time" when all I'm doing is something routine like topping up the oil. Usually it's good humoured but today I felt like saying, there's nothing wrong with the car, I'm just looking after it, and as it happens this car has never let me down.
I get those mildly cheap comments every time I check my car over if I get into work early. My 156 is the oldest and highest mileage car in the car park but it hasn't let me down unlike some of other cars there.

Although if the kid on my team calls my 156 a Citroen again I'll probably go crash his PCP 1 series into a wall :devilish:

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
In the 10 or so years that I've owned Alfa's, my eldest brother has owned:

(All the below were less than 4 years old when he bought them)

A BMW 3 series - spent £2500 on fixing a blown turbo and then an unknown Engine management light forced him to give up and sell at a massive loss.​
Peugeot 508 - got snotted by a bin wagon...can't really blame that on reliability.​
Audi A5 - Cost him over £3k to fix another blown turbo and other niggles..sold at a massive loss.​
Nissan Juke: His wifes car. it was poo.Cost a fortune in repair bills.​
Peugeot 3007?: Recent purchase but already been in the garage for an electrical problem.​
In this time I have had a 156 which exploded due to my own negligence (should have fitted a new radiator sooner)
A 159 1.9 SW which gave me 5 years of trouble-free motoring
My current 159 2.4 Ti which needed a new ECU, but has been perfect since.

And yet I still get the "oh Alfa's are so unreliable" remarks whenever I speak to someone about cars...

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Anecdotally, the most common cars I've witnessed stranded on the hard shoulder seem to be BMW's or Vauxhalls.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Picture in your minds eye, if you can, the type of owner who responds (with details of issue / cost to repair / duration of repair) to a What Car reliability survey.

I will just leave that point there.

(For more context - you can cross reference them to the reviewers on Tripadvisor who leave a 2 star review on a hotel site because the "in room bathroom consumables were of quite poor quality given the rate I paid for the room")

1 - 20 of 54 Posts