Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When and where was your most memorable drive and which Alfa were you in? The kind of drive when your car was faultless and your driving without fault too, when you got to the end wanting to turn straight back around and do it all again with you and your car feeling as one and the grin never drops from your face. ;)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The road from Les Gets to Evian and back. The D902 iirc.

Everything was perfect

It wasn't in the GTA tho, I was in my Citroen Xantia Activa. A very underated car.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Round Monza with many other superb Alfas at the centenary in 2010.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,752 Posts
I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was a road in/near Henley-on-Thames. The drive had been thrilling, with the Alfa digging its claws in and giving a live feed hot-wired direct to my vains. It was sensory overload; barking mad V6 engine, sweet balance, fine brakes, and high stone walls echoing and clapping away at the progress being made. A flashing fuel light stopped play, so I pulled into a petrol station to fill, and...I just didn't have the heart to turn off that panting engine. It would have been like shooting a pet after playing with it. Turning it off just felt wrong. So, ignoring the light's furious flashing so as to revel in that lovely, lovely car for just a bit longer, we drove (very carefully!) to the next petrol station.

Such an exhilarating little car! :)

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Stelvio Pass in my current 159. A late evening (so no other traffic to spoil the 'flow') spirited drive up from the Swiss side, overnighter in a hotel at the top, then another blast down the Italian side next morning to get back to Arese in time for the official centenary event that afternoon, :D. Best adrenaline rush ever, :thumbs:. In fact, now that the thought is in my head, I'm off to YouTube to watch my videos of it (yet) again, :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Can you post links to the vids please David:cool:

Done all the mountain passes in our GT.

Best drive was when Leigh & I dabbled up the Grimsel Pass, him & his wife in their Brera V6 & us in the GT.

Really going for it, full chat, awesome fun:cool:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
It's a tossup between my regular journey to work some 15 years ago, in the 105 spider, roof down beautiful summer morning, and 'all along the watchtower' on the cassette.

Or my first Goodwood trackday in the GT Coupe. Iconic location and atmosphere.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

Best drive was when Leigh & I dabbled up the Grimsel Pass, him & his wife in their Brera V6 & us in the GT.

+1 :thumbs:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Stelvio Pass in my current 159. A late evening (so no other traffic to spoil the 'flow') spirited drive up from the Swiss side, overnighter in a hotel at the top, then another blast down the Italian side next morning to get back to Arese in time for the official centenary event that afternoon, :D. Best adrenaline rush ever, :thumbs:. In fact, now that the thought is in my head, I'm off to YouTube to watch my videos of it (yet) again, :rolleyes:.
Well that's just showing off David :p

Mine was the more modest 'mini-Stelvio' of Applecross last summer. I had just driven up from Surrey after collecting my 166, then drove up to Torridon for a week's holiday. To have the luck of the sun shining and reflecting off the lochs coupled with relatively quiet roads to open up the Busso......simply magical! The Applecross route (UK's only Alpine pass) with its twists and stunning views was a great initiation for 'Sofia' :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
In the 159 on the NSW Central Coast, more specifically the place called Wisemans Ferry.

Heres a photo of some of the roads, a lot of hill climbs and nautical views :thumbs:

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've been thinking about this thread and so many of my memorable Alfa drives were in my GTV6, a few spring to mind:
  • Racing a new 205 GTi on the Autoroute Blanche between Cluses and Sallanches.
  • Driving from London to Holyhead in three hours (284 miles, and not all motorway). :)
  • Two weeks spent on the Beara peninsula in Ireland back in the days when the roads were empty and speed traps unheard of :thumbs:
Happy days.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mine was a drive around Italy last year on my honeymoon. Started around west coast from region of Tuscany where we went to Pisa and the SR222 around the Chianti region, Sorrento and Amalfi coast.Then headed to the east by the Adriatic coast heading north to Rimini, San Marino and back to Milan.

Here is a clip from the drivers view of the Amelfi coast on my 147 Bella.

Driving the famous Amalfi Coast in Italy with my Alfa 147 - YouTube

Stop over to enjoy a view and pick some chillies :cool:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Got a couple of favourites in the GTA.

- 9 hours in the car going from watford to telford to somewhere in wales (can't remember where) done the wales run with a load of other AO'ers. had a side by side blast through a welsh mountain tunnel with Ghosty in his GTA next to me and Gaz in minty in front. The noise we made was amazing :lol:. not sure what other people would have thought who didn't know what was going on but there was also a super loud 155 and a maserati in there aswell :cool:

- Brands hatch trackday, 4 wheel sliding round paddock hill bend towards the gravel trap scared the crap out of me and my mate was sitting next to me screaming :lol: (got a bit carried away on that lap :eek:)

- there is another thing i done involving another GTA and a V6 GTV but thats not going on here :)

-150 mile drive home when i picked my GTA up was pretty good aswell :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
the road between ambleside and keswick not sure what it was called in our 147 it was raining and a bit scary but i did just turn around and do it again (because we couldnt park in keswick)but i didnt mind

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine was a drive around Italy last year on my honeymoon. Started around west coast from region of Tuscany where we went to Pisa and the SR222 around the Chianti region, Sorrento and Amalfi coast.Then headed to the east by the Adriatic coast heading north to Rimini, San Marino and back to Milan.

Driving the famous Amalfi Coast in Italy with my Alfa 147 - YouTube
Stop over to enjoy a view and pick some chillies :cool:
+1 Amalfi Drive. Did it x4 times last year. Clip sums up the road but where's the traffic? They overtake on this road too - a lot - even the lorries do - its crazy but beautiful.
My horse was a Panda though.
My best Alfa run was doing the London to Lake Garda (x3 times) 850 miles in 13 hours including stops. Stonking good fun.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
+1 Amalfi Drive. Did it x4 times last year. Clip sums up the road but where's the traffic? They overtake on this road too - a lot - even the lorries do - its crazy but beautiful.
My horse was a Panda though.
My best Alfa run was doing the London to Lake Garda (x3 times) 850 miles in 13 hours including stops. Stonking good fun.
That was just the beginning sorrento so the roads were not busy yet,l. I got about 1hr footage,just have not uploaded it.Yep people overtake and I've done it too.Coach or buses are the worst specially when they come from a blind bend of the road. I drove lake Como 3 times,amazing drive and its also where I got married with the view of the lake facing Bellagio.

13hrs,thats quick. Is that via France or Germany? I usually stop over around Luxemburg cos petrol is cheaper:thumbs:

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts

+1 :thumbs:
Here you go. Patricia (Firecracker) has a 'starring' role in the first 2 parts. No sound, I'm afraid :( , as the camera was mounted on the outside of the screen and all that was recorded was wind roar (despite the camera supposedly having a system to overcome this, :mad:), and on Parts 1,2 & 3 I wasn't aware that I had some insect debris on the lens.

Stelvio Pass in an Alfa 159 - Part 1 - YouTube
Stelvio Pass in an Alfa 159 - Part 2 - YouTube - with startled 147 driver at 5.37, :lol:.
Stelvio Pass in an Alfa 159 - Part 3 - YouTube
Stelvio Pass in an Alfa 159 - Part 4 - YouTube - insect innards now removed, :D.
Stelvio Pass in an Alfa 159 - Part 5 - YouTube
Stelvio Pass in an Alfa 159 - Part 6 - YouTube - watch for the naked (apart from his Speedos) cyclist at 0.47 on this one, :eek:.
Stelvio Pass in an Alfa 159 - Part 7 - YouTube

I've got some of the other passes we 'attacked' somewhere (still unedited) that never made it as far as YouTube. When I find them, I'll send you the links Simon as there may be some more trips down memory lane there for you, :D

Well that's just showing off David :p

Mine was the more modest 'mini-Stelvio' of Applecross last summer. I had just driven up from Surrey after collecting my 166, then drove up to Torridon for a week's holiday. To have the luck of the sun shining and reflecting off the lochs coupled with relatively quiet roads to open up the Busso......simply magical! The Applecross route (UK's only Alpine pass) with its twists and stunning views was a great initiation for 'Sofia' :thumbs:
I know, :rolleyes: , but then you've done Applecross and I haven't, :tut: ........... yet! I've been watching that winter rescue services programme on the box the last few weeks and each time they show the snowplough guys on the Applecross road I keep thinking that I really must make the effort to get up there some day. I know, half way across Europe when I've got one in my own backyard, :lol:.

·
Registered
573 Posts
...roads were not busy yet. Yep people overtake and I've done it too.Coach or buses are the worst specially when they come from a blind bend of the road. I drove lake Como 3 times,amazing drive and its also where I got married with the view of the lake facing Bellagio.
13hrs,thats quick. Is that via France or Germany? I usually stop over around Luxemburg cos petrol is cheaper:thumbs:
Yes its a real bash and not sure I'd do it again, besides there are more Police now. Channel Tunnel through France, turn left for the Monte Blanc tunnel. Then East across the North Italian Plains past Milan and off at Desenzano. Final resting place at Salo. The last hour really drags because of local traffic. And the Italians have ruined the surface of that road - much slower on the last trip.

Como is a beautiful place to get married - CONGRATS - Difficult to get the real beauty of these roads on film. I did some overtakes too - even in the Panda - when I had too but its a bit heart in mouth and takes planning!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts