Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So, we looked at it on a damp day, it was fine, bought it on a dry day, it was fine, the next day it tipped down with rain and there is a puddle of water in the drivers side (RHD) footwell!

So, what are the most common places for water to come in on a Spider, the roof does not appear to be faulty at all, though I have not used a hose on it yet! No splits or tears.

Matthew

·
Registered
365 Posts
Front corners of roof usually drips. There is also a seal passenger side behind a plate on the firewall from the engine compartment I think.

Easiest fix "keep it in a garage when it's wet and take it out roof down when it's fine"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get some water in the boot during the winter, but only get water on seats when washing
via the top of the windows. I re-waterproofed the soft top last year & water runs off great.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used Renovo Ultra Proofing, it recomends two coats & the second is difficult to applie as it rolls off
the first coat, but is worth doing.
Halfords sell a two bottle kit by Turtle Wax, one for cleaning, one for conditioning which are good for
general use once every month or so.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Get some water in the boot during the winter, but only get water on seats when washing
via the top of the windows. I re-waterproofed the soft top last year & water runs off great.
My water-in-the-boot was the badge - removed, siliconed the back and replaced, now dry since last August.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I probably should have mentioned that the leak was a phantom brought about by not closing the roof properly after going to test the car (rookie error) anyhow, I have redone the waterproofing with the Autoglym product and it is amazing, really very very good results. Now if anyone can suggest a way of keeping the massive fluffy ginger cat from hanging about, leaving fur all over and worst of all digging his claws in to the roof I would be much obliged!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I get water in the driver footwell occasionally - the drain thingy under the windscreen scuttle cover is likely silted up - a job to do this weekend as I got a free one.

See you Tuesday PM @ SWARM ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I probably should have mentioned that the leak was a phantom brought about by not closing the roof properly after going to test the car (rookie error) anyhow, I have redone the waterproofing with the Autoglym product and it is amazing, really very very good results. Now if anyone can suggest a way of keeping the massive fluffy ginger cat from hanging about, leaving fur all over and worst of all digging his claws in to the roof I would be much obliged!
Bloody cats, that's why I keep my Spiders in a garage.:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get water in the driver footwell occasionally - the drain thingy under the windscreen scuttle cover is likely silted up - a job to do this weekend as I got a free one.

See you Tuesday PM @ SWARM ?
I have the same problem... is this an easy job?

Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
:lol: Glad someone else has the cat problem and not just me , more comfy than a tin top me thinks:)
i have to regularly roll mine with one of them sticky roller things for clothes , time to invest in a car cover i think :rolleyes:
>>andy

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have the same problem... is this an easy job?

Tim
I believe so...this is from one forum chappy as a guide :

Pop the bonnet up and undo the nut that holds the rh wiper. You can then undo the star shaped allen screws holding the plastic scuttledown. Pull them out and bingo, the scuttle will be revealed. In the midle are the drains, there is some wiring there which can collect the dirt. You just have to put you're hands in and pull it out!

Good luck or wait until I've broken everything and gain my experience too ! :thumbs:

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
My scuttle issue was passenger side. The depth is just not right for uk rainfall! We fixed (ahem) mine with a cut open water bottle....no more water :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
My scuttle issue was passenger side. The depth is just not right for uk rainfall! We fixed (ahem) mine with a cut open water bottle....no more water :D
Now there's a thought, and you get a refreshing drink to start with - what about a cider can !? :lol:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I reproofed mine with the AG stuff £20 500ml Halfords then when I was in Millets I was looking at some waterproofing stuff and picked up 2.5ltrs of Fabsil so so so much better than the AG stuff and at £16 for 2.5ltrs
have done my roof about 3 times now over the last 18 months of spider ownership and still have enough for another 2 the AG stuff lasted 1 go but came with a 500ml cleaner which was rubbish

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same problem in my spider. There has no leak since last week.. Roof is dry, passenger side is dry too.
I read this topic and I can say same thing about cat topic. There is always a cat on the top of the car every morning. I'm used to clean cat hair from my roof but I think finaly that hair coused my drain tube filled (the drain under the windscreen scuttle cover).

is there anybody knows how can I find a "how to" quide for removing windscreen scuttle cover and how can I see which is my drain tube.

·
Registered
464 Posts
+1 on the cat issue. Brother has an MG and in the summer when his hard tops off, seen a cat sleeping on his. Try to shu it off once and it woke up, stretched and dug its claws in. :wow: I carried on walking at this stage :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts