Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried the Pirelli P7000 tyres? i'm kind of torn between them and the Toyo Proxes T1-R, the're similar in price (from mytyres) i know from reading through the posts that the proxes are good, but i'm inclined to go for the Pirellis, partly because i'm a brand ***** and a tyre that costs £130 from kwik fit cant be all bad, can it?

Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Maybe KwikFit just make more profit from the Pirelli tyres because people assume they must be good.

I got a set of tyres at trade price once, £11 each, KwikFit's sale price at the time was about £65 each...

The Toyos are good, P7000 are not even listed on Pirelli's website anymore...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Wots the difference between the Pirelli P6000 and the P7000? I have always used the P6000s - got another 2 today for my two rear wheels - and have found them to grip the road very reassuringly in the wet and round sharp bends. I think they're worth the money. I got my 2 today (the P6000s) for £150 the pair, including tracking, etc. Not cheap but I think when you find something you trust and they work for you, stick to 'em.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
King_con said:
Has anybody tried the Pirelli P7000 tyres? i'm kind of torn between them and the Toyo Proxes T1-R, the're similar in price (from mytyres) i know from reading through the posts that the proxes are good, but i'm inclined to go for the Pirellis, partly because i'm a brand ***** and a tyre that costs £130 from kwik fit cant be all bad, can it?
My 147 17" wheels are fitted with P7000 as these were the factory fitted tyres. Personally I have no problem with them, although my experience is limited so I can't offer too many comparisons. IMO though, the fact that they were the factory fitted tyres means that they were also the tyres used when the car homologation (i.e. original approval testing for the design, handling, funtion etc of the car) was carried out. I'm not an expert on car stuff so I am happy to go with what the OEM engineers specified.

£130 from Kwikfit is outrageous. Don't do it unless you have no other option as Blackcircles are selling them for £85 fitted. Kwikfit currently offer 20% off on tyres which brings the price down to around £100 which is a start. National tyres also have vastly over inflated prices but our local one is offering 2 for 1 which makes it more reasonable. Also might be worth trying to get a price beat deal from them.

147virgin said:
Wots the difference between the Pirelli P6000 and the P7000?
As far as I have seen, P6000 are generally spec'd on 147s with 16" wheels while P7000 have a lower profile suited to the 17" rims. According to the Pirelli website they don't do a 17" 215/45 version of the P6000. Pics below show the design difference. They are available in lower profile sizes but were obviously not chosen by Alfa as the offical production tyre for all wheel sizes.

David C said:
Maybe KwikFit just make more profit from the Pirelli tyres because people assume they must be good.
I also think they count on the fact that most people are lazy or don't shop around or need the perceived convenience that Kwikfit offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Probusterrace said:
National tyres also have vastly over inflated prices but our local one is offering 2 for 1 which makes it more reasonable. Also might be worth trying to get a price beat deal from them.
This is where I got my tyres from today. Unfortunately, surprise, surprise, their 2 for 1 offer only applies to obscure sizes and brands. Hmmm. Con! You do get a discount when you buy more than one tyre though, and another discount when you book your visit online, but to be honest, the branch I went to didn't have a clue, and I think they plucked a figure out of the air. Honestly think these places chance their arm and see what you will pay! I argued wiv 'em and got them down to £150 (originally quoted £163), but doubt you'll ever get a "bargain" from these big companies.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My 147 has always been shod in p7000s 17"s since the factory. They have been superb in performance. I've been through a few sets of them, some have worn quite quickly altho the current front two have been on for 22,000m, although they will need replacing within the next couple of thou. i think.

I can't fault them, they have been good in wet, dry, snow. Very grippy with the road noise to back this up. But they are an old design now, and improvements have been made in tyre technology. Also £130 sounds expensive, 17"s tend to go for around £85-95. Kwik fit are a rip off!

I had Toyo proxes on my previous car, a Clio Sport, they were very good indeed, very sticky! These wore out very quickly though.

When i next replace my tyres i'm planning on trying Dunlop Sport Maxx's due to the absolute rave reviews i've been reading about them.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
147virgin said:
This is where I got my tyres from today. Unfortunately, surprise, surprise, their 2 for 1 offer only applies to obscure sizes and brands. Hmmm. Con! You do get a discount when you buy more than one tyre though, and another discount when you book your visit online, but to be honest, the branch I went to didn't have a clue, and I think they plucked a figure out of the air. Honestly think these places chance their arm and see what you will pay! I argued wiv 'em and got them down to £150 (originally quoted £163), but doubt you'll ever get a "bargain" from these big companies.

Last time I used them was for exhaust parts and they price matched ATS & Kwifit. This mean't they dropped their price by alot (40% or something daft like that, can't remember exactly) but their original price was ridiculous!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Probusterrace National tyres also have vastly over inflated prices but our local one is offering 2 for 1 which makes it more reasonable. Also might be worth trying to get a price beat deal from them.

147virgin said:

Wow probusterrace...2 independendet source 1 north lanarkshire and 2 south lanarkshire .147's telling you what I said a couple of days ago to you on another thread about tyres.

I buy the cheapest tyres as they only hit potholes and protruding drain covers.What beats me as I have to get "W" rated tyres rated to about 169 mph and yet in theory you are not allowed to exceed 7omph....Yet sometimes the W rated are cheaper than the V rated.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
147virgin said:
Sorry 147 ...Never read your post properly...:tut:
I'm surprised with your comunication skills and expertise :rolleyes: you only managed to get £13 off.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Pomeo said:
Wow probusterrace...2 independendet source 1 north lanarkshire and 2 south lanarkshire .147's telling you what I said a couple of days ago to you on another thread about tyres.
Yep. No surprise really about only limited ranges being included in an offer, very cynical.

But to be fair to National, how many other times do you get drawn to a company's 'sale' or 'special offer' only to find that the size, colour or model you want isn't included! :(

It's because of your previous comment that I went and checked out the offers at Kwikfit and National. :)

I guess that the key thing to remember with such a big chain and a situation such as this (e.g. where their list price is 60% higher than other sources) is that they should be able to give a far better discount than the small operator simply because their profit margins are clearly HUGE! Doesn't follow that they will, of course.

If, like Kwikfit, they don't see the likes of Blackcircles and Mytyres as serious general competition in the market place then they aren't going to adjust their prices to compete. Time will tell what impact the on-line sellers really have.

For me, it's not just the cost of the product but the quality of service that puts me off these places!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I agree !00 pc with you.Know what you want then shop for best prices.Used Blackcircle garage for my daughters tyres.
Last june I used Kwikfit for the wifes Mondeo's MOT...(Offer price £35)...Failed on a few items gubbed discs and emissions.Took 3 days to get discs off .Advice from garage put additive (Forte at £15 a go)in tank and blast down mway and bring it in...Did that No change in emissions.Took it to a diagnostic garage and to cut a long story short it was the CAT.£50 cat delivered to door and phoned Kwitfit for an emission check as no point in doing a full mot if the emissions are out.Went back to same kwikfit 5 weeks after original test an it sailed the emissions.The chap then proceeded to do a full MOT.I questioned him as I thought that I would need to book it in again as it was only in for an emission check. He thought that I was querying the full MOT again. No I wasn't as it had been away for 5 weeks from original test and I was expecting to pay another fee.He made up MOT and when I went to pay he said no charge.I queried it and he repeated no charge.Thanked him very much and left puzzled.However I was most impressed by their service.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Pomeo said:
I'm surprised with your comunication skills and expertise :rolleyes: you only managed to get £13 off.
I know.....pathetic attempt!:lol: Think I'll go to Greece on holiday and practice my bartering skills!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts