Alfa Romeo Forum banner

More torque from a 1.2 Fiat 500 please?

Tags
500 fiat torque
7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  broom_zoeyellow 
#1 · (Edited)
Mrs. Broom_ZoeY has a .12 Fiat 500....:eek: 1.2 even...and its got a lovely little engine that needs its pants thrashed off it to get it going....and thats really the problem...
while it is a fun little car, getting going at a roundabout or similar standing start requires 1st gear , occasionally 2nd and is nigh on impossible in 3rd..
i cant get used to this and find myself becoming ever so slightly irate at times..:eek:
anyway...ive found a site called nuova500 that offers remaps and cold induction kits for not unreasonable sums of money to eke out another 3-4 bhp but would anyone here know any more or recommend anything else?
any advice appreciated;) thanks

ps. standard bhp is 69 with 75 lb-ft torque and max torque at 3000rpm

#2 ·
You wouldn't expect to pull away from stationary in 3rd gear??? There are a number of companies that remap but the benefits on a N/A small engine are probably fairly negliable. Perhaps you could trade it for the 1.4 16v or wait for the Abarth model with a turbo?

#3 ·
youre right about 3rd gear, but im just used to cars where the it had been possible from a semi-rolling start, or at least in second, regardless of what it does to the clutch..
but the simple thing is that it was supposed to be the perfect engine to fit the car and i find it odd, having tested the 1.2 in a new punto while in rome last summer...that was eminently thrashable
i doubt we'd trade it in for a larger motor at the m,oment, but the abarth is certainly something id love to try:inlove:
still, you'd think that a bit of well placed torque in the right range would do this car a world of good....the other possibility is that the engine is still getting run in...its less than 2000miles old...
we're taking the little thing on a cross continental trip later this week..:lol: ...show the germans a thing or two on the autobahns..:D
probs a 2500 mile trip to prague, so we shall see how it does...itll be a tight squeeze...and a bit on the slow side
the other possibilty is a certain yellow car...newly acquired.....:D

#10 ·
my 1.2 500 is approaching 3000 miles and it has started to feel stronger in the torque department and mpg over last few hundred miles. For instance, on pulling out of my drive on to a fairly steep (about 1 in 4/5) hill if I gave it 4,000 in 1st and then changed up, the engine didn't have any gutts to accelerate before I crested the hill so only option was to keep in 1st. Now with increased mileage I can get a bit of speed in second, my old 155 (2 litre 8 valve) was comfortable for third and still accelerating by top of hill (which is about 50 yards for my drive) and Bertie will omfortably do 4th:cool:

Like I read in my dads cmsa magazine the gear box on the 500 1.2 is a delight you'll just have to start getting used to using it its a different way of driving, and I'm getting about 48 mpg in all town (hilly as well) driving which is a bonus after the 25mpg of the 155

#11 ·
trip imminent. 36 hours and counting...looks like itll be the fiat as its the more spacious of our two cars:cheese:
oh well...happy days..i dont mind...this car cant even get to 100mph (official top speed is 99mph)
we'll have fun anyway...but those seats need some wearing in!!!:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.