Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once more they're dipping into the never-ending Star Trek well for new show material.
I gave up on Discovery after the first two or three episodes, so I haven't seen enough of these characters on that show to have an opinion about them, although Rebecca suits the brunette colouring. The new captain Pike looks too old for me, but then I'm used to the TOS version from The Cage/The Menagerie.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
I’m neither here nor there on Star Trek, but things must be pretty grim when a brain as admirably big and as deep as Tor’s, only sees fit to pass comment on a character’s hair colour 😁

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once more they're dipping into the never-ending Star Trek well for new show material.
I gave up on Discovery after the first two or three episodes, so I haven't seen enough of these characters on that show to have an opinion about them, although Rebecca suits the brunette colouring. The new captain Pike looks too old for me, but then I'm used to the TOS version from The Cage/The Menagerie.
New Discovery series does pick up as the episodes go on .. First few episodes are slow as they are setting up the plot for the rest of the series. Some of the characters are growers as well. I do agree with you that person cast for pike is too old tho. Some of the characters arent the best for me the Doctor being gay is just unnecessary.

However that new Picard one of the 45mins of each episode, at least 40mins are really really slow with 5mins of action per episode.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plotwise, I was fine with Disco, but I couldn't find one character that I liked, hence me bailing pretty quickly. That annoying (autistic?) roommate was so irritating. I realize it's standard practice to have one neuro-atypical character in every Trek series, but most of them have some kind of redeeming feature or personality. I wasn't seeing that in Disco. The same goes for most of the other characters. I really wanted to like it, as I'm a fan of Michelle Yeoh, and I was totally there for her leading the show, but that didn't exactly materialize as teased.

I know that Number One and Pike show up in later episodes, so I can't comment on what their characters are like. My main frame of reference is TOS, hence the comments about age and hair colour, Scud. I generally like Rebecca (I don't know how to properly spell her last name, and I'm not concerned enough to look it up at the moment), so I expect she will do a good job. I also do like her new look, so it's definitely worth some commentary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts