Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting they prefer the 1.9 unit - Having driving both tractor variants I felt the extra weight in the 2.4 was noticeable

That said, a 159 diesel is probably the better buy. Avoid the costlier five-cylinder 2.4 JTDM and go instead for the four-cylinder 1.9 JTDM. With 150bhp and 236 lb ft of low-down torque, it feels quicker than its 0-60mph time of 9.2sec suggests, and the lesser weight of this engine helps sharpen handling.

Alfa Romeo 159 review | Used Car Reviews | Driving - Times Online

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting they prefer the 1.9 unit - Having driving both tractor variants I felt the extra weight in the 2.4 was noticeable

That said, a 159 diesel is probably the better buy. Avoid the costlier five-cylinder 2.4 JTDM and go instead for the four-cylinder 1.9 JTDM. With 150bhp and 236 lb ft of low-down torque, it feels quicker than its 0-60mph time of 9.2sec suggests, and the lesser weight of this engine helps sharpen handling.

Alfa Romeo 159 review | Used Car Reviews | Driving - Times Online
I thought the 1.9 would be the obvious choice as a used buy...;)

N

·
0 Posts
Isn't this car (being a "modern" Alfa) meant to be too heavy and woefully under powered? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't this car (being a "modern" Alfa) meant to be too heavy and woefully under powered? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Yes IF it was a sports coupe - the 159 is a family saloon so can get away with been overweight and have a drink problem.....to some extent anyway.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Avoid the costlier five-cylinder 2.4 JTDM and go instead for the four-cylinder 1.9 JTDM.

What a crock o'crap. Unless you are a Company car driver with one eye on emissions or you're a high miler, you will always kick yourself for not going for the effortless power and glorious sound of the 5-pot unit. :)

Still if your only choice is a 159 1.9JTDm then who cares - its still a beauty.:cool:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I think some of that is media nonsense. Fraser did a comparison a little while ago and the 159 wasn't that much different to equivalent models by the German competition.

The 2008 models have benefited from some extra weight reduction (50kgs I think).

Whilst not exactly blistering, I'd agree that my 1.9 feels better than low 9's already. As for "liking a drink" I got 46mpg out of my first tank mostly motoway to Scotland, 41mpg on my second which was stop-start commuting and MrsJim using it while I was convalescing and finally used half a tank doing a very spirited EVO triangle plus the run down to Wales and back and I still got 36mpg.

I'd say that was respectable for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If other 2.4s are anything like mine then I'd have to agree.
It runs like crap, is pig slow and struggles to get over 30 mpg. :cry:

Of course, the dealer says there's "nothing wrong with it"...

Hmph.

/currently pining for my old 156 JTDm 16v Sportwagon...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts