Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, It looks as though I might be hanging onto my beloved GT; therefore, I'm toying with the idea of paying out to gain more power.

Can those of you in the know shed some light on what's the best way to go about this?
i.e: I've heard of the re-mapping etc....
I'm thinking new exhaust and re-map?

My car is the GT 1.9 JTDM '06.

Your idea's/comments will be greatly appreciated :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Just a remap will do it.
Replace the exhaust when it needs replacing unless you have deep pockets.

Best bang for buck modification on a forced induction engine.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
plugging in a computer and changing the original map file to increase settings like fuel / boost etc.
A few hundred normally.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
If you drive with your right foot planted to the floor and have no idea about how to feed power in then yes.
Or just go for a lgiht remap. Improve MPG and improve throttle responce and not go for a huge power increase and it should help things.

Its not all about max power figures. Its about how the car devlops the power to how useable it is.

Whacking a great big bhp figure in a diesel and then hoping to god that nothing else breaks with huge torque figures kills Diff's / Gearboxs / Clutchs and CV Joints.

Having something thats a smooth power line and torque curve and it becomes much more usable.

Diesels have a habit of just dumping all their power at one hit which puts alot of parts under stress.
The 1.9 engines can make some serious power in standard trim but the rest of the parts in the drive chain suffer.

This is why big N/A engines get no where near the issues that forced induction get due to the power delivery and more importantly the torque delivery.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The additional power will put strain on both the clutch and flywheel, so do not be surprised if it starts to slip.

You could also look at replacing the diff for either a Q2 or the Qaiffe LSD

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you are in Essex you could look to Red Dot in Enfield (?) - they used to charge about £300 for a remap, but have a look in the London regional section for more info.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The additional power will put strain on both the clutch and flywheel, so do not be surprised if it starts to slip.

You could also look at replacing the diff for either a Q2 or the Qaiffe LSD
How much do you think?! £££

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Use the search function its been covered many times.

Clutch and LSD are expensive jobs if paying for labour.
Parts are pretty pricey too.

I thought you are looking to sell the car anyway why bother upgrading?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use the search function its been covered many times.

Clutch and LSD are expensive jobs if paying for labour.
Parts are pretty pricey too.

I thought you are looking to sell the car anyway why bother upgrading?
I knowwwwww....... But my NEW company car could be the Guilietta?! :thumbs:

if my GT doesn't sell then I'll forget about advertising anymore than I've done already. I will let it run its course then that'll be that.
Will keep it and start tweaking at it?! :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Rather keep the money in the bank. Not pay a higher tax band and run the GT with cash in my pocket. Thats how i've worked with company car allowances.

Car virtually pays for itself that way.
Espcially on a diesel

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Sunnyside use Alfatune re-maps. Excellent on my 20v :thumbs:

You can get the EGR deleted at the same time to avoid all the problems with carboning up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sunnyside use Alfatune re-maps. Excellent on my 20v :thumbs:

You can get the EGR deleted at the same time to avoid all the problems with carboning up.
Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain the EGR delete, as I thought this was an important feature to the JTDM? :confused:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Italian Box from ebay gives enough oomph to scratch the itch for £50. The you can decide if you can afford the tyre budget of a real map and replace anything which turns out to be weak before you take the plunge permanently.

Nick

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain the EGR delete, as I thought this was an important feature to the JTDM? :confused:
The EGR recirculates exhaust gases to re-burn products of incomplete combustion, this is mainly at low revs when the engine is not efficient. Unfortunately the gases also contain carbon particles that clog up the EGR and inlet manifold; the inlet suffers because the carbon mixes with oil by-passing the turbo bearings to form an evil tar-like gunge.

The EGR delete ensures the valve stays shut at all times and that and the inlet don't get tarred up. Th delete has to be done in the map or you will get faults thrown up. An alternative is to fit partial blanking plates that restricts the flow of gases but doesn't stop it entirely.

I've tried the plates but got the occasional fault so I went for a full delete and fitted solid blanking plates to the inlet and exhaust. You still need to keep the EGR electronically connected (or a resistor fitted) or a fault will show. It will not affect the MoT.

Hope that helps.

p.s. for a bit extra you can also replace the first CAT with a piece of pipe, available from JS Tuning - the turbo will spool quicker and sound just a bit better.

http://www.js-tuning.nl/alfafiatlancia-parts-c-32.html?osCsid=doue0ov8fop0gqskos7423k5l4

1 - 20 of 141 Posts