Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys ! :)
I recently got my hands on a 97 spider 916 2.0 TS with 150 ponies.
I love it ! I would like to see how much I can increase its power without spending thousands of bucks for the moment.

keeping in mind that it is my daily, I would want something.

I鈥檝e read that some ECU chips help on power and fuel consumption, so I was trying to see which one would be the best?

also I was looking for exhaust, sport air filter, what else can help me get more power out of my little beauty?

(In my list are also suspensions, brakes, new wheels and tires, etc but that will be for another topic 馃槈 )

Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
Chips will be a useless waste of money on N/A, a performance air filter (drop in replacement) and reprofiled camshafts should get you to 165hp, maybe remap on a rolling road to optimise the map for the cams. Exhaust won't get you far on the 97 as only 1 cat, maybe replacing that with a 100/200 cell sport cat and losing a couple of silencers would unleash another 5 hp.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chips will be a useless waste of money on N/A, a performance air filter (drop in replacement) and reprofiled camshafts should get you to 165hp, maybe remap on a rolling road to optimise the map for the cams. Exhaust won't get you far on the 97 as only 1 cat, maybe replacing that with a 100/200 cell sport cat and losing a couple of silencers would unleash another 5 hp.
First of all thanks for your answer !

okay I see鈥 well I guess if I wanted more power I should鈥檝e taken the V6 ! (Money money money haha)

I鈥檒l focus on making it lighter and bettering the handling I guess. I鈥檓 sure if I can make it light enough, 165ch should be plenty to have a lot of fun!

Registered
Keep the engine al standard and put a Eaton 45 on it with front mounted intercooler and bigger injectors. With a remap you can get V6 power for about 鈧2000 on parts and remap.
Of course you must do all the work yourself! 馃槈

Registered
sub 2000 pounds/euros you are looking at basic stuff like exhaust, airfilter and a remap, all of which will have an effect of -5 to +5 bhp (the wrong airfilter setup will hurt rather then help), and outside of some more noise (so "feels" faster) you wont notice much of these mods.

That is not to say you shouldnt look into them, just dont expect significant power increases. Personally i'd do the air filter and perhaps an exhaust, then focus on handling and seeing if you can shave off some weight (power/weight has two variables after all)

Enjoy the car!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sub 2000 pounds/euros you are looking at basic stuff like exhaust, airfilter and a remap, all of which will have an effect of -5 to +5 bhp (the wrong airfilter setup will hurt rather then help), and outside of some more noise (so "feels" faster) you wont notice much of these mods.

That is not to say you shouldnt look into them, just dont expect significant power increases. Personally i'd do the air filter and perhaps an exhaust, then focus on handling and seeing if you can shave off some weight (power/weight has two variables after all)

Enjoy the car!
That鈥檚 what I thought at the end of the day.

thanks for your inputs guys! Any place where I could find carbon pieces ? Bonnet etc. I looked on Google but had no success

Registered
That鈥檚 what I thought at the end of the day.

thanks for your inputs guys! Any place where I could find carbon pieces ? Bonnet etc. I looked on Google but had no success
I think i read somewhere the bonnet is plastic to begin with (never had a GTV myself, only dreamed of one for about 15 years), so weight savings there might be limited

Also, carbon parts are quite expensive, so that doesnt exactly work well with the little wallet

Registered

Enjoy the car!
Well, this brings next to nothing: 15hp extra on a 1400kg car....
And loosing (enough) weight is not easy and just degrading the car.

Registered
My first question would be why do you want more power? For example do you want better acceleration? Do you want it to be more responsive? Second question would be how good are you mechanically? If you are paying someone to do the work then easy/quick to fit parts will probably be most cost effective. Thirdly, does your car need anything doing to it now? If it needs a new exhaust then it makes more sense (to me) to fit a performance system now rather than replace it with a new standard system knowing you鈥檒l be replacing it again in the future.

On my Spider, I鈥檝e got an Alfaholics sports cat and centre box with unsilenced quads and a Pipercross air filter. Aside from sounding good, it is much more free revving and responsive. I couldn鈥檛 say how much more power it鈥檚 producing if any but if feels better driving it.

I have Eibachs on the front and will be fitting them on the rear when I rebuild the rear suspension. I鈥檝e also got Brembos and 330mm discs up front. This means I can brake later and corner faster if required. The ride isn鈥檛 for everyone but I like the firmness of lowered suspension.

I have managed to keep costs down by buying secondhand where I can but obviously you will need to wait until the right part comes up on eBay etc. I made a list of everything I wanted and as good parts came up for sale at a good price, I bought them and when I have everything I need to do a job I then do it.
Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Helmet

Sculpture Artifact Font Art Metal

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

Reactions: Irianahel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first question would be why do you want more power? For example do you want better acceleration? Do you want it to be more responsive?
i would like to have a bit faster acceleration but not necessarily top speed. If I had a top speed of 160 for example, I wouldn鈥檛 mind at all, as long as it gets there fast. Get what I mean? ;)

Second question would be how good are you mechanically? If you are paying someone to do the work then easy/quick to fit parts will probably be most cost effective.
This is my first own car. I have some knowledge but absolutely zero practicing.

Thirdly, does your car need anything doing to it now? If it needs a new exhaust then it makes more sense (to me) to fit a performance system now rather than replace it with a new standard system knowing you鈥檒l be replacing it again in the future.
I actually am missing my exhaust last part (muffler?) and will need to buy a new one. I also have little things here and there to do, got the car for nothing, so yep.

On my Spider, I鈥檝e got an Alfaholics sports cat and centre box with unsilenced quads and a Pipercross air filter. Aside from sounding good, it is much more free revving and responsive. I couldn鈥檛 say how much more power it鈥檚 producing if any but if feels better driving it.

I have Eibachs on the front and will be fitting them on the rear when I rebuild the rear suspension. I鈥檝e also got Brembos and 330mm discs up front. This means I can brake later and corner faster if required. The ride isn鈥檛 for everyone but I like the firmness of lowered suspension.

I have managed to keep costs down by buying secondhand where I can but obviously you will need to wait until the right part comes up on eBay etc. I made a list of everything I wanted and as good parts came up for sale at a good price, I bought them and when I have everything I need to do a job I then do it.
I didnt understand every single thing you wrote but it sounds like an excellent combo of mods I can鈥檛 wait to see on mine !

Registered
i would like to have a bit faster acceleration but not necessarily top speed. If I had a top speed of 160 for example, I wouldn鈥檛 mind at all, as long as it gets there fast. Get what I mean? ;)

This is my first own car. I have some knowledge but absolutely zero practicing.

I actually am missing my exhaust last part (muffler?) and will need to buy a new one. I also have little things here and there to do, got the car for nothing, so yep.

I didnt understand every single thing you wrote but it sounds like an excellent combo of mods I can鈥檛 wait to see on mine !

In that case: just fit 147 1.6TS gearbox: cheap and more revs

Registered
My first thought when reading the "more acceleration, not more top-end bit" was exactly the same :D

With regards to the rods/cables bit, maybe a late model 155 gearbox would work?
Is this something that has been done often? How reliable is it ? And how do I have more acceleration with this, the gears are longer?
It is just the same gearbox, only with other final drive. (and some later ones have longer 5th gear).

But well, you can keep also your own box and shift later: same effect. 馃槈

1 - 20 of 73 Posts