Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All you 2.4 diesel owners be it in a 159 or a brera

My question is , what are the ways to get maximum BHP from the 2.4 diesel engine .

The obvious and from what I have researched the most common method is the ECU remap , now the 159 I am getting, picking up tomorrow infact, has been remapped to what I have been told 260 BHP .

Should I be happy with this amount of Power, have you done anything else to get a noticeable difference?

Would I be looking at things like exhausts, turbos, intercoolers . I can imagine this would mean spending a big amount of money for potentially not alot more horses.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Be happy :) Thats right at top of what you can get without getting totally into "the full monty", including new IC/turbo/injectors-package that will bring you up to approx 40-50 more.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Wow 260. That is good. I was not aware they were good for that amount.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Most of the expensive (quality?) mappers quote a 200bhp achieving 235 - 245 and a 210bhp achieving 240 - 250 from a map.

Your problem is that you haven't driven it without the map. If you had you would be very pleased with the result even if that was only 240bhp.

Getting more power quickly gets expensive especially if you want parts and fitting by the supplier. If you want to see what is ultimately possible look at JBSmith1 post - I think he ended up with about 400bhp or was that 500?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuni...a-progress-thread-formally-2-4-20v-p-box.html

Options include:-

Bigger and/or hybrid turbo.
Water meth injection.
Large FMIC.
Free flow exhaust.
I believe that the existing injectors are good for quite a bit over over 300bhp but may be wrong.
Bespoke map to suit your changes. No point having a generic map with lots of other engine mods.

Expensive is relative and it all gets more expensive the more power you ask for.

If you are serious talk to

Gus at Alfatune
Ned at Auto Lusso
Adie at AHM

But if it is idle curiosity these are very busy people .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be happy :) Thats right at top of what you can get without getting totally into "the full monty", including new IC/turbo/injectors-package that will bring you up to approx 40-50 more.
I think your right , after driving it for a few days it does give a really good amount of power. I also dont want mpg to get too silly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi , after driving the car for a good few days I think I will leave the search for more power for now. I dont want the mpg to become too silly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I also thought the 260 bhp was abit optimistic but it has paperwork to show the remap was done by AHM and looking on there website the tune that was carried out gives the 260.

ALFA ROMEO REMAPS : AHM AlfaFiatCare
Also they say: "Please note that all quoted power increases are for indication only.
Every vehicle WILL be different and AHM cannot and will not be held responsible if your vehicle does not reach the stated power. In many cases you will see more than stated!"

No rolling road printout with before/after figures & what parameters they use for calculation of the engine BHP (transmission loss, temperaturecoreection etc. )

Just like most companies tell that a tuning gives improves MHP...where 99% forget to tell the improved MPG is due to the ECU beeing cheated by change of parameters so it "forget" or dont see the extra amount of fuel used by the mapping...& same with tuningboxes....

So im not saying they cant reach 260...It just sounds a bit optimistic in my humble ears :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will just be Happy, as long as I like the way it gets down the road there is no need to get obsessed with numbers, after all that's not why I got the car , I got it for that Alfa experience!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I get between 580 - 620 Miles on a Full tank (you can squeeze 71 litres in) ... I do a 70 mile round trip every day ... A Roads -> M6 -> M62 -> Trafford Park, display sometimes gets up to 45 MPG but overall average brim to brim is about 39 MPG :thumbs:

Re-mapped by Gus Alfatune, with a splash of Rhino diesel additive every tank ... Oh and I don't drive slowly, Unmarked Dibble confirmed that on M62 Thurs morning when he gave me the front grill blues ... luckily for me, he must like Alfa's :thumbup:

Reactions: badgerdom

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
But hey..If your happy...Be happy & whether its 240 or 270..Doesnt matter if the smile is on your face both when you use them & refill her ;-) :)
I think I will just be Happy, as long as I like the way it gets down the road there is no need to get obsessed with numbers, after all that's not why I got the car , I got it for that Alfa experience!
Excellent posts above. Performance numbers are only good for pub talk. What matters is when you drive that car down the road/track whatever :)

I get between 580 - 620 Miles on a Full tank (you can squeeze 71 litres in) ... I do a 70 mile round trip every day ... A Roads -> M6 -> M62 -> Trafford Park, display sometimes gets up to 45 MPG but overall average brim to brim is about 39 MPG :thumbs:

Re-mapped by Gus Alfatune, with a splash of Rhino diesel additive every tank ... Oh and I don't drive slowly, Unmarked Dibble confirmed that on M62 Thurs morning when he gave me the front grill blues ... luckily for me, he must like Alfa's :thumbup:
That sounds very impressive.

Reactions: Matt Pateman

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
MPG is always individual depends a lot of things.
General rule the faster you drive the better MPG you have.
I fell 50, MPG is possible with 24JTDM. To gain this you need at least 50mph average speed at 1k mileage.
To gain 50mph average speed you need to ride much faster in fact which might not be possible.
I would put the car on lighter wheel. It reduce rolling resistance and decrease MPG substantially.
The task is be lower than 40, lbs per wheel.
Have tried to be familiar with non- metrics.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
The faster you drive.. really?

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Yes exactly... I mean long continuous drive with speeds higher than 120kmh.
So 11 hour drive with average speed 73kmh results 814 kms mileage featuring 6,3ltrs/100kms.
But if you are islander, you have to draw circles out along seaside.
:biglaugh:
Ah yes I see what you mean. Probably an slight language barrier. I would have used 'steady speed', 'average speed' or simply consistent.

I noticed on my old Alfa GT 1.9 when doing 30-40 MPH it was quite economical on the computer however my 2.4 159 is crap in comparison. It prefers motoways.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I would trust AHM BHP figure. He remapped my wife's 159 200 and was a bit disappointed with the resulting 235bhp figure IIRC but after discussing it with him it it what it is. He could have played with the rolling road to make it look better but didn't.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ah yes I see what you mean. Probably an slight language barrier. I would have used 'steady speed', 'average speed' or simply consistent.

I noticed on my old Alfa GT 1.9 when doing 30-40 MPH it was quite economical on the computer however my 2.4 159 is crap in comparison. It prefers motoways.
Mine definitely prefers a long motorway run. Drving 400 mile round trip to london (on a roads and motorway) i'll get 40mpg. Round the south devon lanes, 30mpg (and that's over 15,000 miles it's been constant).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts