Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere.
But Fiat now plan to "merge Abarth, Maserati and Alfa under one sporty brand".
Let's discuss.

Alfa, Maserati, Abarth 'to merge' - Autocar.co.uk
Dont like this they are putting Alfa,Abarth and Maserati in one group and Lancia and Chrysler in the other.Seems like less investment and no 169.Poor as Alfas situation is it lookls like the end for poor Lancia and its glorious history

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'll put another slant on this. I think it makes perfect sense to put the sporting marques together under one business unit with Abaarth doing 'hot hatches', Alfa occupying the middle range saloons and coupes then Maserati nudging up into the exotica. Don't think it spells the end at all - in fact could be the start of a new era (hopefully)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere.
But Fiat now plan to "merge Abarth, Maserati and Alfa under one sporty brand".
Let's discuss.

Alfa, Maserati, Abarth 'to merge' - Autocar.co.uk
It has been done before. Remember Ford's Premium Auto Group (Volvo, Jaguar, etc)?

Look what happened to that; all sold off.

This all sounds like delaying the inevitable sell off of Alfa to me!

Mind you as long as it survives I'm not too bothered as long as it doesn't go to the Chinese on the cheap.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I agree with Stesco on this.Alfa has a brand definition much closer to Maserati,and to a lesser extent Abarth,than other group members.I don't think the loss of the 169 would be devistating for Alfa,as no-one in GB is going to buy one anyway.There are far greater profits to be made further down the range,and hopefully the Guillietta will bring Alfa more into the mainstream,selling well enough to guarantee Alfa's future,but not so much as to lessen the brands exclusivity.However,although the Mito is becoming an ever more common sight on our roads,I don't think it is nearly as good as it should be,and the looks are a bit controversial,enough to put some buyers off-something Alfa can't afford to do with the Guillietta.The Brera/Spider definately need to be updated,to lose some wieght and gain performance,and a new GT should be built,based on the Guillietta to keep pricing lower so it doesn't tread on the toes of the Brera as the present one does!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I hope the Guilietta doesn't flop. I thought the "Mito effect" would have improved things for Alfa. The car opened the brand up to a whole new audience, myself included.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think this latest announcement is positive. Sergio Marchione seems to have shown his hand in terms of whether he will keep Alfa going or allow it a slow death. He seems to have preempted any announcement he is due to make in Feb/Mar re. Alfa's future, despite the guilietta not having been launched. Why give Herr Wester added responsibilities if he doesn't see some hope for the brand. SM looks like he's brought in a bit of a heavy weight, and another German Engineer. The tie up with these other two brands looks logical (despite having been tried before under Kabfelt). How much this new guy will actually be able to do in terms of really developing a synergy between the three will be interesting to see as time moves on.

I have a big resentment towards Fiat. How did they get to this position with Alfa after 24 years of ownership !!! Surely, so much of what is happening now could of been prevented. How can they expect to see fantastic sales figures year on year if they are not working to a defined and sensible strategy. Something Alfa has been lacking for toooo long (along with decent build quality, customer service etc etc.) I could go on and on and on, damn.

Well lets hope Herr Wester is given time, automnomy and investment Hmmmm !!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll put another slant on this. I think it makes perfect sense to put the sporting marques together under one business unit with Abaarth doing 'hot hatches', Alfa occupying the middle range saloons and coupes then Maserati nudging up into the exotica. Don't think it spells the end at all - in fact could be the start of a new era (hopefully)
Lancia not sporty? what about the Integrale to name but one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The best thing that could happen to Alfa is for VW is buy the brand and fashion a range of sporting models above Seat so Alfa is to Seat what Audi is to VW.

VW has platforms and engines for every occassion and has brought Skoda from a joke to a sensible choice of car. Lambo another Italian brand seems OK and a new Bentley manages to carry some of the old brand values.

Why not have badge engineered VW's instead of badge engineered Fiats.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I share the same view as Spider aktiv, VW have De Meo, De Silva and Eggar which all came from Alfa.
Between the three of them they have the talent and the Cuore Sportivo to get the brand back on line and with the structure that exists with VW Alfa can finally flourish.
Wishful thinking, but I cannot see it becoming a reality.
De silva who left on bad terms from Alfa can finally get his own back and show Fiat they they have messing around for too long with Alfa.

Jano

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
The best thing that could happen to Alfa is for VW is buy the brand and fashion a range of sporting models above Seat so Alfa is to Seat what Audi is to VW.
I'm another that has to agree with this. They've already got the platforms and designers. More importantly, they've got the resources, the money!

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I share the same view as Spider aktiv, VW have De Meo, De Silva and Eggar which all came from Alfa.
Between the three of them they have the talent and the Cuore Sportivo to get the brand back on line and with the structure that exists with VW Alfa can finally flourish.
Wishful thinking, but I cannot see it becoming a reality.
De silva who left on bad terms from Alfa can finally get his own back and show Fiat they they have messing around for too long with Alfa.

Jano
Totally agree. We need Alfa Romeo to escape from the Fiat Group idiots. As you say Jano very unlikely, but if VW were to get hold of Alfa, how exciting would that be? Got to be far better than where we are at the moment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts