Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

Following your advice on other little ‘issues’ which has also proved invaluable, what do you think about the following;

At the start of the year I had an overheating issue with my 2.5 159 which (after your advice) transpired to be nothing more that low coolant. Coolant topped up, problem solved.

However, the warning signs of low coolant (fan kicking in very quickly) started again yesterday and on checking the coolant level was very low. My concern is that the car has used over 3 litres of coolant in about two months which doesn’t seem right.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks in advance

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is the car on it's original waterpump? - the pump could be leaking.

it's the general consenus to replace the pump on a 159 at 60k miles (max) or 4 years.

if it fails it will take the cambelt with it ( ££££).

Edit - I'm talking about the diesel engines here...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Had a similar problem very recently, my very good condition radiator had a small hole in it, appears it may have been pierced through the grill.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You could well have a minor leak through rad (as suggested) or one of the hoses. Strong torch and check them all for tell-tale signs of leakage. If not obvious clean the hoses well and check again. Then the water pump!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your ideas.

It's on the original water pump but this is due to be changed this month - car is 5 yrs old, 57k miles.

I haven't noticed any obvious signs of leaks, but I will have a more detailed check and see what I can see.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts