Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After eighteen months, albeit only 6000 miles, of carefree motoring, the gremlins are starting to appear.
First there was an unexplained, overnight, fifty percent battery voltage drop. Then yesterday, on returning from a ten mile round food shopping trip, I noticed a buzz/hum from down somewhere in the centre console when waiting at traffic lights. Even my wife noticed it.
When we got home I stopped and re-started the engine. The buzz/hum had gone but I got the stop/start unavailable warning. Now I always turn the s/s off but I don't like an amber warning being flashed up.
Stopped and started engine again and this time everything okay.
Decided to get my wife to use the Giulia for her fifteen mile commute to work this morning (Police) only to get an email from her to say both the noise and s/s warning had both come back.
Battery pushing out 12.5 volts.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Start stop unavailable will be related to battery. If it's not holding its charge the car is basically load shedding and start/stop will be one of the first to go. Has the car been sat for a while?

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
S/S unavailable warning usually means one of the ECUs (PCM or BCM most likely) has registered an active error code. If you do not get a CEL on the dash then it is not significant to put car into limp mode. Do you have an OBD reader to check what error codes are stored? With modern cars, and especially Alfa, an OBD reader is a must whatever people say.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Start stop unavailable will be related to battery. If it's not holding its charge the car is basically load shedding and start/stop will be one of the first to go. Has the car been sat for a while?
You can get S/S unavailable for other PCM and BCM error codes too. If the BCM decides to disable SS (and HRW) due to battery SOC, you do not get a SS unavailable error message, it just disables it. It could be a battery issue but given he has read 12.5V, my bet is it is not battery related.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
The buzz or hum sounds like it could be a relay or contact. The electric Low Temp coolant pump runs after engine shutdown and when running it makes an audible whine. There are others things that run on switching on ignition, it is very hard to guess without plugging into the OBD port. Like mentioned above, can you record it and post here?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
S/S unavailable warning usually means one of the ECUs (PCM or BCM most likely) has registered an active error code. If you do not get a CEL on the dash then it is not significant to put car into limp mode. Do you have an OBD reader to check what error codes are stored? With modern cars, and especially Alfa, an OBD reader is a must whatever people say.
No, I don't have an OBD reader Metalgod and I wouldn't know what to do with one if I had. I was with you up to ECU but you lost me on PCM and BCM. Whatever happened to the good old days when you bought a car and just changed the filters and friction linings at the appropriate times? :rolleyes:

I am familiar with all the clicks and buzzes on shutdown but this is very different. It sounds more like the heater fan blowing at full speed. I will investigate that more when/if my wife gets home in it tonight.

I'm only twelve miles from the supplying dealer (Beechdale) and as I don't use the car that much, even less now, if it plays up I'll just stick it in my garage until they are open again.

I kept my Brera for twelve years and it was pretty much trouble free. I had hoped to do the same with this Giulia but I am starting to think, as a result of my own experiences and those of others on this forum, that they are just a bit too complicated and possibly fragile for their own good. When the PCP runs out in June I'll most likely now be handing it back and looking for a pristine Brera S or going down the all electric route.

Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nooooo... give it a chance, it could be a quick fix! These are very complex cars, but then all modern cars are these days. I definitely know they are not fragile.

Having said that, a Brera S, now that's a keeper if you find one!

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
No, I don't have an OBD reader Metalgod and I wouldn't know what to do with one if I had. I was with you up to ECU but you lost me on PCM and BCM. Whatever happened to the good old days when you bought a car and just changed the filters and friction linings at the appropriate times? :rolleyes:

I am familiar with all the clicks and buzzes on shutdown but this is very different. It sounds more like the heater fan blowing at full speed. I will investigate that more when/if my wife gets home in it tonight.

I'm only twelve miles from the supplying dealer (Beechdale) and as I don't use the car that much, even less now, if it plays up I'll just stick it in my garage until they are open again.

I kept my Brera for twelve years and it was pretty much trouble free. I had hoped to do the same with this Giulia but I am starting to think, as a result of my own experiences and those of others on this forum, that they are just a bit too complicated and possibly fragile for their own good. When the PCP runs out in June I'll most likely now be handing it back and looking for a pristine Brera S or going down the all electric route.

Thanks for your input guys.

ECU = PCM (Powertrain Control Module)
BCM =Body Control Module = controls various not engine related functions including Battery charging and usage among other things.
TCM =Transmission Control Module = Gearbox logic

Apart from the main computers above, the Giulia also has
ETM = Entertainment Module = Your infotainment
If you have a differential, it has a module for that. Adaptive suspension has one etc. etc. you get the gist.

Almost ALL modern cars will have many modules controlling various things. If you think you are going to go all electric and it will be simpler then you are in for a "shock". Have you seen how many gadgets and computers a Tesla has? It looks like sitting inside a giant Iphone! Funnily though you go from a car with one battery to many batteries, do you really expect things to be better ;) ?

I know older cars were much much simpler and the Brera S is a great choice. The amount of time I spend looking after my Giulia, I wonder some time too. But as Twiss said above, all modern cars are complex. You just give them time.

With an OBD reader, you plug it into the OBD ii port under the steering column (it is open and easy to locate), turn on ignition without starting the engine and read error codes. Fairly easy to use.
See this link for a picture but its on RH side for us.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Metalgod, great little tutorial.

I am not averse to a bit of technology, I just don't get pleasure from it as many seem to do. I also object to the idea of having to apply it myself on a virtually new car. Now if my Giulia was five years old I would consider playing about with it (although I am only fifteen miles from Peak Alfa).

As for the gremlins, the buzzing is coming from what I think is the main ECU behind the air cleaner box and the warning light for no s/s is still flashing.

Looks like it might be a £1000+ ECU warranty claim when the big V is sorted.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Looks like it might be a £1000+ ECU warranty claim when the big V is sorted.
If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to register the fault with AR Customer Care in case it will be sometime before the car can be looked at by a dealer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I wonder if the buzzing/hum might just be what everyone on the giulietta forum spoke about, it's just the ecu powering down. I like to think its telling you off for going too fast! I hear it every day on my Giulietta but haven't heard it on my Giulia yet. Both cars are diesels

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if the buzzing/hum might just be what everyone on the giulietta forum spoke about, it's just the ecu powering down. I like to think its telling you off for going too fast! I hear it every day on my Giulietta but haven't heard it on my Giulia yet. Both cars are diesels
No! It's not, it's clearly something not right.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fingers crossed, it's sorted.

I noticed last night that one of the locking levers on one of the cables located at the top of the ECU wasn't fully closed. It was only one 'click' short but could it have possibly made a difference?

Well possibly, my wife went to work in the Giulia again today as a test run and has reported back "no buzzing and s/s functioning as it should".

I am wondering if this connection could have been the reason for the ghost battery drain a few weeks ago or did Alfa Assist tinker with it, when I called them out, and did not re-engage it fully.

Then again, the whole thing could just be an Alfa being an Alfa.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
@GVblue "Then again, the whole thing could just be an Alfa being an Alfa."

I very much doubt it.There is always a reason for everything. It is quite possible for the connector on the ECU not being fully engaged that could have caused the buzzing noise and error especially if the issue does not happen again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts